Any old iron.

Go down

Any old iron.

Post by Maywalk on Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:26 am

I had the community nurse here yesterday to take a blood sample from me and as she was going out of the front door she stopped and asked me where I had had my door stop from. Her face was a picture when I said that it had belonged to my grandmother and it had been through two world wars.
Its not worth anything but its the history behind it.
I believe it was made in 1884.

If it had a voice it could tell many tales of things that have happened over the years which includes my grandmother losing her daughter and twin granddaughters on the Titanic in 1912 and then her only son in W.W.1 when he was killed on the 26th of August 1914.
Its not much to look at and not of any real money value but as I said IF only it had a voice.
Stories of going through the 1930's Depression. It was through that awful Depression I finished up in a 'Sisters of Mercy' home for nigh on 6 years due to the fact that I got pneumonia and my parents could NOT pay the hospital or doctors fee because my father had lost his job during the big slump of those years.
My pathetic looking iron would be a mine of information IF ONLY it could talk.
It has survived all those poignant times apart from the iron making it through the London Blitz.

OK so I am an old softie but to me and my family its history.

I had to use the one shown with another one when I first got married and if I had not got a lot of money and I needed to save the gas I had to stand the iron on a grill in front of the fire to hot up.
Gawd!!!!!! was I glad when I had my first electric iron.  What with having to mangle everything before pegging it out on the line after using the ponch to wash the clothes in the tub before putting them on to boil. It was an ALL day job.  Mind you it kept my waist trim using the mangle but I used to feel like Popeye round my muscles.
Over the moon when I had my first washing machine
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk

http://www.memorylanehf.oddquine.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Re: Any old iron.

Post by honeybee on Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:33 am

wow our Maisie what a special iron, bet if it could talk would tell many tales Kiss 
wow and yes having to use a mangle.
We do have it easy now. washing machines, electric irons and vacuum cleaners. I complain about housework. yet looking at the iron could not have been easy many many years ago

honeybee
Our Smilie Queen
Our Smilie Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:07 am

Oh yes, what incredible stories that iron would share if only it could, Maisie!

And there is nothing wrong with treasuring old things that have no monetary value - in fact, I so often used to spend an afternoon wandering through antique shops with a friend and think of the history behind so so many of the items.

I'm glad you've got this treasure of an iron and still use it - if only for a door stop - huge happy smile!

Back to top Go down

Post by Maywalk on Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:28 am

Thanks Honey and Mara.
Its a miracle to me how its survived two world wars.
My granddaughter has been today and I was telling her about the re-action from the nurse and she said that it would DEFINITELY NOT be leaving the family with all the tales it could tell.
Good to know that it will be looked after when I am gone. Wink
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:56 pm

It's wonderful you still have the Iron our Maisie, such a precious item to have, and knowing your Grandmother used it.
It's value in your memories mean more than money, it is priceless.

Tan
TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Maywalk on Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:51 am

Thanks everyone.
I would have called in sooner but beginning to feel shattered with looking after hubby.
Had to get a carer in now to wash him each day because I cant get down to do it for him due to his arm being bruised from top to bottom when a volunteer was getting him out of the car after taking him to the podiatrist.
Dr decided he had to go for x-ray on it, now we are waiting for results of the x-ray and blood tests that were taken just in case the blood clot injections are not suiting him.
Boy oh Boy its been quite a few weeks since all this started and I have to admit I really am feeling worn out now.
Will let you know more later.
Thanks for putting up with me.
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:56 am

You are a lovely part of our little home our Maisie.Very Happy 
So hope the results come back as soon as can be for your Hubby, at least then your doctor will have a better idea of how to help best can be.
Naturally you are bound to be feeling worn out, even someone half your age would struggle, you really are brilliant, and doing all you can.
Try as hard as it is at this time to at least get some rest, and some 'you' time, maybe a little sit outside, or to the nice area locally you so enjoy sitting for a while.
Take care of yourself too. hug

Tan
TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by June on Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:31 am

Did you see the old documents I rooted out for you Maisie ?

http://www.tanoomasretreat.com/t10479-old-documents-one-for-maisie

Had to go in the loft to find them Very Happy 

All the best to you both hug
June
June
June

Back to top Go down

Post by nordog on Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:23 am

I have my mothers first iron Maisie, that is still usable but her Hoover electric steam iron is long gone.
nordog
Nordog
Nordog

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter on Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:49 am

Nice history there Maisie, there are still quite a lot of them about but then they were built to last, we're lucky if we get an electric one to last two years.
Peter
Peter
Peter

http://peterburnett.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Joelle on Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:01 pm

I can remember my grandma using a flat iron as she called it, heated it on the fire hob, spit on it to see if it was hot enough, happy memories
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle

http://www.pamspoetry.yolasite.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down