Did you have pocket money?

Go down

Did you have pocket money? Empty Did you have pocket money?

Post by Tan on Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:11 pm

When you were a child did you have pocket money from your parents, or did you do a little job to earn some?.

I used to get 6d three times a week off my mum for an ice-cream or sweets, this I earned by keeping my bedroom tidy and bringing in the milk from the door!.

My dad would give me a half crown when I helped him to wash the car, and I would clean/polish inside!.

When I got older I helped out in a hairdressers, where I would go in and sweep the floor and mop, clean the mirrors and tidy the haircurler boxes!..For doing this I got £1..

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Did you have pocket money? Empty Re: Did you have pocket money?

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:19 pm

One shilling a week from my Nan from when I was five to twelve years old. Money was tight in those days and nothing to spare for me to waste from Mum and Dad. Did I moan? no I realised the situation and excepted it without question

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Nemo on Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:43 am

Very occasionally a few pence from Mum before i was 11 ish i was working weekends on a local farm and had a Paper round prior to that would make a few bob cleaning bean canes of dried stems and anything else we were rather hard up and i didnt expect pocket money , would spend ages trudging ditches for pop bottles and get the money back Corona was one and im sure Rwhites lemonade another so could usually scratch enough to buy some sweets
At 13 i was able to drive the farms tractors doing various tasks that was fun and with a Saturday and Sunday and 6 days of a paper round i had £2.50 a week but bearing in mind a good 10 speed bike was maybe £30 then not that i could save that much up, Did you have pocket money? Icon_biggrin
Captain Nemo
Captain Nemo
~ God Bless you our Captain Nemo ~

Back to top Go down

Post by Joelle on Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:11 am

None from my mjm and dad but they would give me money for sweets and buy me things, I would run errands for neighbours for a penny. When I was older I baby sat with my friend and they would leave us money for fish and chips(again!) supper and some sweets. I helped in our corner shop when I was about ten and they gave me 2/6d for the day. I thought I was rich!
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle

http://www.pamspoetry.yolasite.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:09 pm

I used to get a dime (10 cents) twice a month - and without fail, Charlotte (the girl that used to steal my lunch because she was hungry) and I would stop at the little store on our walk home from school.

Used to be able to get 2 Popsicles for a dime but then woe, the price went up to 7 cents each! What to do, what to do!! Ended up buying one Popsicle and breaking it vertically down the center and those huge 'jaw breakers' with the remaining 3 pennies. Darn Popsicles never broke evenly and how I disliked that pesky rule that one's guests always gets the bigger piece - huge smile!

Back to top Go down

Post by Joelle on Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:22 pm

That made me laugh Mara, I always said when the children were sharing anything, one does the sharing and the other does the choosing but if the Popsicles didn't break evenly then you wouldn't have been able to do that Did you have pocket money? Icon_biggrin
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:36 pm

Joelle, that's exactly what I tell my grandchildren ... and I swear I actually age as they try to convince the other to cut the cake. Did you have pocket money? Icon_biggrin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:23 pm

We have had a power cut for the last three house just out half of the street, so haven't posted much this afternoon.
I used to have pocket money which was about a shilling which paid for the saturday morning pictures a whole six-pence, my Dad used to buy me a packet of spangles to take with me. I joined the Saturday morning club and had a luminous badge, I remember booing the bad guys and cheering on the the goodies, Flash Gordan was my favourite Oh Happy days.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:30 pm

Such lovely memories for you there Angel!.. Did you have pocket money? Icon_biggrin

Was there any particular reason for the power cut that you know of?..

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Joelle on Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:43 pm

I went to a Saturday morning club at the Gaumant Cinema in Leeds Angel. When it was your Birthday you and a friend could sit upstairs. I can remember singing to the words on the screen with a little ball bouncing on the words, Land of Hope and Glory. Old Mother Riley, The Thee Stooges and always a cliff hanger that you had to wait until the following week to see what happened next. Happy Days. Sorry about the power cut.
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Nemo on Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:15 pm

The Cinema was to far away from us so we couldnt get to it , but in later life i saw so many new Disney films at the cinema with my Niece such a lovely atmosphere a cinema full of little ones but the noise and after half an hour the toilet rush starts you do get to see a bit of the film but not a lot but Disney are Brilliant Glen close in 101 Damations is brilliant Did you have pocket money? Icon_biggrin
Captain Nemo
Captain Nemo

Back to top Go down

Post by Joelle on Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:50 am

The first film I ever remember seeing was Snow White and the seven Dwarfs. My mum had hesitated in taking me as she thought I might be frightened of the witch in it but I loved it. Dumbo made me cry and so did Bambi but I loved them all.
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:53 am

We used to go as a family about once every fortnight, and have ice-cream before the big picture. I remeber going to get the icecream from the lady with the tray and the lights went off on the way back and the MGM lion Roared and I dropped them and ran back to my seat. My Dad retrieved them and comforted me,I can't remeber the film though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down