Old Documents.

Go down

Old Documents.  Empty Old Documents.

Post by Guest on Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:52 am

I consider myself extremely lucky to still have one or two old family documents.
This was mainly through my mother because when W.W.2 started she got out any old documents and receipts and tied a red tape round them all and promptly put them in her handbag so that if there was an air-raid she would quickly pick her handbag up when joining the rest of the family to make their way down the shelter. Her handbag even went to bed with her when she did manage to get in her own bed.
All the documents were passed on to me and this one is the marriage certificate of my grandparents. Note the day they got married. It will be 116 years old this coming Christmas and I just hope my granddaughter takes care of it when its passed over to her. Its in a photo album at the moment protected by some cellophane. My Grandmother had a very unusual surname as you can see NE'UN pronounced NAYOON so my son used that name for the second name of his daughter.
Fascinating looking over old family history.

Old Documents.  2jadoxx

Back to top Go down

Old Documents.  Empty Re: Old Documents.

Post by Guest on Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:46 am

What a wonderful treasure to have and I'm so very sure your Granddaughter will love it one day, Maisie!

(Is the cellophane 'acid free' ... only asking as so many things are now found to hard old papers).

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:25 am

Hi Mara.
I would imagine it to be acid free regarding the cellophane Mara because it is a proper photo album with this aready in it. That is the wedding certificate of my fathers parents.  

Its fascinating going through old receipts for funerals and other things. I only wish I had many more but I think my mother did well to save what she did.

Here is a receipt for my other Grandmas funeral. This is the grandma I met when she had died. Sounds nuts but perfectly true.
I can remember walking at the back of the horse drawn carriage with my head bent looking at my shiny black patent ankle strapped shoes. I was praised after the funeral for being such a good girl and keeping my head bent. I NEVER did tell them it was because I was fascinated with seeing the sun shining on my shoes. I had NEVER had a black shiny pair like those.

Old Documents.  Xle9w3

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:44 am

All such wonderful treasures for sure our Maisie, how lovely you have them, and of course appreciate and enjoy looking at them. Lots of memories for you as well. 
Your Mother did very well saving all that you have, and great care taken of them too.

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter on Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:02 pm

You are lucky Maisie to have those old documents, a wonderful piece of history.
Peter
Peter
Peter
Peter

http://peterburnett.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:44 am

Thanks Peter.
I have other old documents that my mother guarded with her life plus old photos. Her ruddy handbag used to weigh a ton.Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:33 pm

And thank goodness it did!

I would have really liked your Mom, I'm sure, Maisie - safe keeping treasures of the very best kind!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:57 pm

Hi Mara.
My mother was a straight John Bull type of person and I take after her in many ways although there were times when I was a young woman we had out fall outs.
Yes if it wasn't for my mother carting her handbag everywhere with her even to the loo the documents would have been lost forever. If ever she took them out of her handbag they were neatly tied up with a red piece of tape round them.  
She had a lovely singing voice and could play a mouth organ very well too. She was well sought after during the war to sing in the local pubs and give them a tune on her mouth organ. The Yanks loved her and used to go looking for Ma Johnson. Laughing She very often invited a couple back to the house for a drop her bone broth.
To her they were taking the place of her two sons who had been  called up during the war. One was in Burma and the other in North Africa.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum