French Knitting.

Go down

French Knitting.  Empty French Knitting.

Post by Maywalk on Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:59 am

This brought back many memories because I used to do this when I was a little girl with a home made French Knitting tool made out of a cotton reel and four tacks banged into it as shown.
Anyone else remember doing this.????????????

http://thegreendragonfly.wordpress.com/2012/11/22/the-lost-art-of-french-knitting/
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk

http://www.memorylanehf.oddquine.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

French Knitting.  Empty Re: French Knitting.

Post by Tan on Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:35 am

I do so remember my Grandma doing this our Maisie, and she taught me a bit of how to do it. But I was more interested in seeing what she created than me having a try as a child.
This has really brought it back to mind now, it would be nice to have a try.

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Maywalk on Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:14 am

Give it a go then Tan because all these old hobbies are coming back in again.
I belong to a worldwide knitting forum and I have had dozens of folk from around the world asking me for copies of the patterns I have in my 1940s knitting book because the Vintage style is back.
The trouble is with the 40s patterns the yarn was different and we knitted on much thinner needles.
Where one would cast on 115 stitches on a needle for the front of a womans jumper in todays yarn we had to put over 200 on then and it took some doing especially with the thin yarn and needles SO fine they were no thicker than some darning needles. In fact the size 14 then WERE finer than a darning needle.
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk

Back to top Go down

Post by June on Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:23 am

Yes, Maisie.  I did this and I still have a bobbin that my daughters used as well.

Mine, like yours, was just an empty cotton reel with four tacks in but now they have more posh ones  Very Happy
June
June
June
June

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:24 am

It would for sure have taken a long time to knit a cardigan using those sized needles our Maisie, but so lovely and fine the cardigan would turn out.

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Alan on Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:18 am

Just a little out of my depth here, but I am certain that you ladies know what you are talking about  Girl Smile

"To know an elephant is to be touched by him - these gentle giants humble mankind. He is nature's greatest Masterpiece." John Donne - Poet
Alan
Alan
Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by Maywalk on Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:23 am

Hi June,
It certainly brought memories back to me because it also brought memories back of playing fag cards and two balls against a wall, plus playing cats cradle.
No posh items then to play with but we were a darn sight more active than they are today and NOT spoilt because there was no money about to buy expensive toys.

Tan if I had to knit a jumper today on no 14 needles with all those stitches I would be baldheaded after pulling my hair out with having to try and keep the stitches on the needle.  Umm 
I will stick with my double knitting yarn now or the aran weight.

Just caught your message Alan and I have to tell you that boys used to do French Knitting as well many years ago. They are even getting men taking up ordinary knitting as a therapy now to keep the fingers going and helping the brain from going to sleep.
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:26 am

Yes best to stick to that wool our Maisie, and I would use the thickest needles I can find.  chuckles 

I still laugh when I think back to when I was being taught how to knit as a child. I think I was started off with about 20 stitches, yet after me knitting just a few rows I ended up with about 40. No idea how I did that, but many a laugh we all had.  Giggle

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Cat on Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:57 am

The knit and natter group I go to we have a man that has been going right from the start of it. He does some super lacey knitting, likes doing baby shawls most of all .Apparently him and his wife have always knitted.

One of my ex neighbours used to sit outside doing his crocheting and good at he was.

Used to do a lot of French knitting as a kid and turn them into place mats.

What about the French knickers then..........  ah ah ah   woops. Embarassed  Embarassed  pale
Cat
Cat
Cat
Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by June on Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:46 am

Maisie, this is the bobbin our Ruth used about 30 years ago. She loved doing it and sewing it into little rounds.  It's a bit limited though in what you can do with it  Very Happy 

French Knitting.  Bobbin10
June
June
June
June

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:51 pm

Never tried French knitting and, in fact, I'm dismal at regular knitting, Maisie - but how fascinating to read about the differences between knitting now versus in the 1940s.

Having such narrow needles would surely explain the beautiful fine knits hand created then?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum