Your First Job

Go down

Your First Job Empty Your First Job

Post by Tan on Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:22 am

What was the first job you did when leaving school?..

I worked in a bakery and had to be up for 4am, it was really good working there and I got lots of free cakes too!.. Your First Job Icon_biggrin
I left school in 1970 at 15 years old!..My first wage there was £5..
My mum and dad let me keep my first wage and then from then on they took £3 and let me keep the other £2 for myself, but I treated them often!..

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Your First Job Empty Re: Your First Job

Post by honeybee on Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:03 am

I did nursing for 2 years. Loved it. The salary was R45 a month.
I had one year to go and, oh dear my friends were out having fun I was on duty all the time. I also spent my life crying when patients I was nursing were so ill.. Sometimes I stayed after my duty was over and washed their hair and little things they needed. I quit- I am sorry now I did not complete the 3 years. Strange though if I did I would never met Mr honeybee.
I then worked as a wage clerk and worked myself up to a Debtors clerk.
I also had to pay my mom board. Cant remember how much it was. Your First Job 360901
honeybee
honeybee
Our Smilie Queen
Our Smilie Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:25 am

Left school at 15 and had three jobs all set up for me to start on Monday. One was as a trainee boat builder, another was as a stockroom boy in a hardware shop and the one I settled for was as an apprentice capstan setter operator at £3 - 10s - 0d a week. I gave Mum £2 and saved £1 per week which left me with 10s. I lasted three months and walked out after refusing to work overtime as I hated the job.

I then drifted through a few jobs before finally settling down at 19 years old. Jobs were plentiful in the mid 60s so getting work was easy for me and I have never been sacked or been out of a job in the last 45 years.

I am now more or less retired and just enjoying myself doing a couple of days a week when the mood takes me.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:28 am

My first job was with a firm of Lloyds Insurance Brokers - I was paid £4 per week with 15 shillings luncheon vouchers.

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Nemo on Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:48 am

My first Job was as a Hydraulic Press operator, it would open and i had to lean right in to remove these mouldings , it was very hot and the thought of all thatt metal above my Head and arms hundreds of times a day , and then there were no safety guards and to watch some of the senior guys pressing the button and the press was dropping as they were still working in it was terrifying they had so many close calls , anyway i left there and went to High Wycombe and trained as a printer and when qualified was soon running my own print shop and really enjoyed that
Captain Nemo
Captain Nemo
~ God Bless you our Captain Nemo ~
~ God Bless you our Captain Nemo ~

Back to top Go down

Post by Joelle on Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:21 pm

My first job was as an office junior when I left school at 15. My wage was 37/6 a week and I had to give it to my mum and she gave me back 5 shillings spending money. I started at 8.30am and hour for lunch (no coffee break) and finished at 5.30pm.
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle

http://www.pamspoetry.yolasite.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:42 pm

37/6 a week made me smile Your First Job Icon_biggrin

Thats a figure unknown to most of the UK. It looks quaint nowadays a bit like paying 49 and a half guineas for a three piece suite Your First Job Icon_eek

Thanks it brought back a few memories of the old L.S.D.

Back to top Go down

Post by Joelle on Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:51 pm

Yes and my sister who is two years older started with 25 shillings a week Laughing Happy days
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle

http://www.pamspoetry.yolasite.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:32 pm

Mmm...£ : s : d.........it seems so long ago now. I started as Engineer Apprentice (Toolmaker - yes, Capstan lathes, Ward 7's etc) and got
£2:10:0d per week in 1961. I went into Drawing Office and got an extra 10s per week because I had to wear a suit! Your First Job Icon_biggrin Your First Job Icon_cool

£2:10s:0d is £2.50p now Your First Job Icon_cry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:47 am

My first job was as a cashier in a restaurant. I chose that job because they gave me a free dinner midday. I was living in a hostel at the time and the dinner was very welcome. I was paid 30 shillings plus my food. Then I became a cost clerk and then a comptometer operator in the wages department of de Havilland Aircraft.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum