Glory Days of British Motorbikes

Go down

Glory Days of British Motorbikes

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:44 am

Hi folks and especially those you like motorbikes. This is a great vid and I enjoyed it a lot because I have always liked English motorcycles.  chuckles 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNNUYHhoDiU

Back to top Go down

Re: Glory Days of British Motorbikes

Post by Tan on Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:39 am

This is brilliant to watch, such fun and memories too for all those there to look back on.
As maybe many memories have been stirred for many.
I never knew milk deliveries got to be delivered in the way shown on the video. 

I will be starting a new room, as suggested by our Dougie.
Collectively it will hold Cars/Motorbikes/Bicycles.

We have a thread, a while ago now, even showing how cars were in days gone by, that was lovely to see, and sure to be enjoyed when that too, as this of yours our Rich, is added in that room.
I just need a bit of time to gather all up, finding as much as I can. Which I will do over the next few days.

Last edited by Tan on Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:04 am; edited 1 time in total

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:54 am

Thank you our sweet Tan, I am glad you enjoyed that. I was a real boy growing up and being the fact that my Dad was an auto mechanic, I was always messing with bikes, motorcycles and cars. I am sure the new room will be of interest to a lot of the members here. Great idea.  chuckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:58 am

One good thing is the helmets were introduced. Sure many youngsters then though thought it initially as 'not cool' to wear them. But of course many people in crashes, had their life saved by wearing them. So pleased even to this day, all wear them.

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:06 am

That is an interesting point Tan, because you would not believe how many States, in the USA, do not have mandatory helmet wearing laws. Say for instance like California. It is the law here all across Canada that motorcyclists must wear a helmet and a very good law indeed. E bikes, small electric motorcycles have become quite fashionable here in the past 6 years, yet they don't have to wear helmets which I think is wrong. I have ridden motorcycles since I was sixteen years old and I NEVER ever got aboard one without a helmet. It is a very dangerous sport and anything could happen and a lot of times cyclists are struck by cars from behind. If you lose control and fall on the pavement chances are your head will strike it.  Sulk

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:22 am

Yes I feel everyone should be made, by law, to wear helmets, many only need to read in the newspapers the deaths that occur, many lives could have been saved all for the price, and of wearing a helmet.

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Joelle on Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:24 am

Yes this is an interesting thread. I have never liked motorbikes, been scared of them really but my late husband loved them and as a boy he had one a Norton I think it was and in the military Police in the army in WW11 he had a motor bike. I agree about the helmets. t amazed us n Dominican Republc when we were there and also in Turkey, they rid about without any protective clothing or helmets and seen have little children sat in front of them and someone behind zipping in and out of traffic.
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle

http://www.pamspoetry.yolasite.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:46 am

When I ride my Triumph I wear a leather jacket, leather gloves, almost knee high leather boots and a strong sturdy helmet, always, even in the spring and summer. I don't ride my bike in the fall anymore simply because it is too cold and even when I did I wore leather chaps to keep my legs warm. You generate a lot of wind chill riding a motorcycle. The Norton was and is still a great bike Joelle and my mate Jimmy from Manchester has 2 older ones. Nortons, BSA's and Triumphs were all used by the British military in world war 2. All were great bikes.

Back to top Go down

Post by Joelle on Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:50 am

My late husband said that when they were coming home when the war ended, he was n Italy I believe, they all had to ditch their bikes into the sea from the top of some cliffs. Rev them up and send them off over the edge..
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:58 am

OMG Joelle??? that is a damn shame, what a waste. I suppose they didn't want to take them back to the UK. My uncle fought in Italy with the Canadian army, sadly he was shot up pretty bad but survived.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:22 am

Speaking again about helmets, I have a sad story to tell you. My brother in law's first cousin had a son that was killed in a motorcycle accident. Jeff was a troubled youth and was spoiled really bad by his father. When he was a teenager he was into drugs, he drank underage and got into a lot of trouble with the police. Later on he met a real nice girl, cleaned up his act and turned his life around. On a beautiful summer sunday afternoon his family had a bbq at their place. One of his mates came over with a new, very fast Japanese motorcycle. Jeff asked him if he could take it for a ride, he did wear a helmet. He took off down the road, very fast and pulled what we call a wheelie, bringing the front wheel up and off the road. The nearest they figured is he must have grabbed the front wheel brake when the bike landed on the pavement. He lost control and went head first into the pavement. All the people at this party witnessed it because it happened about a quarter mile from the home. He went straight away into a coma and died 5 days later in hospital. It was his fault but it was a damn waste. Especially after turning his life around.  Sulk Motorcycle accidents claim lots of lives, people have to dress properly and always think of safety first.

Back to top Go down

Post by nordog on Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:19 am

That was terrible Rich, I can't under stand why they must fit reflectors & bells on cycles but they not a helmet.
nordog
nordog
Nordog
Nordog

Back to top Go down

Post by Joelle on Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:26 am

That is terrible. Near us on the main road coming up the hill, a young lad and a girl neither of them wearing helmets were killed as they skidded and came off the motorbike. They had all been in a pub drinking, this young lad wanted to show off to his girlfriend and said could he borrow it and take it for a spin round the block. No insurance or licence, what  a waste of young lives. I always drilled it into my daughter never to accept a lift home from anywhere on a motor bike, I was terrified of them
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:57 am

Motorbikes are dangerous our Joelle and it is and or can be a dangerous sport. I know full well because I had several close calls in the 40 years I have been riding them. I have always been careful and I rode with the proper gear including a helmet always, but, you have to have eyes in the back of your head and always watch out for other vehicles on the road. I don't know about the UK, but in Canada, most other motorists don't like motorbikes on the road. When an accident happens most people driving cars say, I didn't see him, that is the usual lame excuse. You HAVE to look forward and back at all times and be very careful.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down