A Memorable Journey

Go down

A Memorable Journey  Empty A Memorable Journey

Post by Maywalk on Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:00 am

In 1947 on March 25th I was travelling back from the Midlands to London. I was evacuated to the Midlands from London in 1941 after going all through the London Blitz. My mother and brother were also evacuated with me because we had been bombed out twice. Over the years while in the Midlands my mother had managed to get a small cottage to rent so that we could all be together instead of being split up in different billets. 
The 25th was my fathers 47th birthday. My father was not called up for W.W.2 because he was a boy soldier in the First World War and got wounded at the age of 16.
My father who had been back in London living in one room in a lodging house for sometime was a stevedore had been allocated a house by the London Council for him to get his family back together. 
I was just coming up to 17 years of age and had started courting my hubby who had been called up for his two years National Service in the R.A.F. which was a written law then.
We were travelling in the back of the pantechnicon that had been sent to pack our bits of furniture in plus anything else that we had, which included ourselves. 
It was a memorable journey because we had had a severe winter and the floods were everywhere including the Midlands where we were travelling from.
I can well remember having to queue for a bag of coke the day before moving and that bag of coke was also travelling to London with us.
We were moving back to a three bedroomed reconditioned house in Peckham that had been damaged during the Blitz.No central heating then and it had an outside loo and no bathroom. It took us nearly all day to make that gruesome journey with all the detours we had to make due to the dreadful floods that covered most of the country.
Here is the top half of a newspaper of that month and year and you can see how bad the floods were. It was horrible to see dead sheep and other animals that had frozen to death during the dreadful snowfalls floating about as we tried different detours to get to London and I can still hear my mother with her rosary in her hands saying many prayers to get us to our destination safely.
We finally arrived around 8 o'clock at night and as you can imagine it was pitch dark. It truly was a  memorable journey.
A Memorable Journey  Do1fte
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk

http://www.memorylanehf.oddquine.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

A Memorable Journey  Empty Re: A Memorable Journey

Post by Tan on Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:53 am

Such a terrible winter for sure our Maisie, and to have to travel all that way, all that long time too. Sure that was a Birthday your Father never forgot. Hard to imagine what you all went through those times, as with saying how the animals had frozen. Goes to show just how very cold it was indeed. Hopefully there were not too many of those sort of winters in the years after that.
Such hard times for you and your Brother, as of course for your Parents, in getting a roof over your heads, but so very well they did for sure. 
So sorry to hear your Father had been injured as a youngster.

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Maywalk on Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:35 pm

Hi Tan.
Yes it was hard times but we pulled through and I count myself extremely lucky to still be around to remember it all.
Apologies for not calling in much lately but with hubby being as he is with Dementia I feel shattered at times with either picking up after him or telling him the same thing over and over again.
He forgets as soon as he is told anything and there are notes dotted all round for him to help him remember.
I encourage him to get on his computer so that he can play Solitaire and to send an e-mail to my son and my granddaughter each night because I want to keep his brain going.
He is still waking me up out of any deep sleep that I manage to get because he gets frightened in case I die in my sleep. He has been like this since I first started with Epilepsy but its gradually getting worse.
As long as we both make it for this time next year to see our lovely granddaughter get married I wont mind.
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk

http://www.memorylanehf.oddquine.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:39 pm

Bless you our Maisie, no need at all to apologise, just so pleased to see you when you can pop in. xx  hug 

So much of course for you to concern about, and harder of course with at times for you not getting the proper sleep you so need. 
So hope you are doing as well as can be with your own health.

It will be wonderful for you both to attend your Granddaughters wedding, really lovely to look forward to.  Very Happy

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:22 pm

Aaah, our Maisie - how sorry I am that this is happening to you and your husband - heart wrenching.

Please ... seriously consider a, perhaps, morning 'day care' at least once a week ... dear hubby may not enjoy it the first time or two but would hopefully really get to like it - and more than anything, you will need a break.

Not a break from loving him, of course not - but a break to re-charge your batteries because if your health suffers, it's not just you that will loose, our dear Maisie.

Back to top Go down

Post by honeybee on Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:09 am

Big Hug
honeybee
honeybee
Our Smilie Queen
Our Smilie Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Alan on Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:15 am

Lovely to see you again, Maisie, and what a endearing recount of your incredible trip back to London from the Midlands, thank you so much for relating these time to all of us, it is so lovely of you to share them with us.

I do hope that you are feeling well  Very Happy

"To know an elephant is to be touched by him - these gentle giants humble mankind. He is nature's greatest Masterpiece." John Donne - Poet
Alan
Alan
Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum