My Moment of Fame during World War 2

Go down

My Moment of Fame during World War 2 Empty My Moment of Fame during World War 2

Post by Joelle on Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:02 pm

My Moment of Fame during World War 2

When I was a little girl during the war I loved singing all the songs that were popular at the time. I was always singing, on my way to school and back, in the bathroom, all over the house, my mum used to get a bit fed up at times, but other times she would join in and we would sing together.
 I used to run home from school at lunchtime to listed to ‘Workers Playtime’. Singers and comedians used to go round the factories entertaining the workers in their lunch hour and it was broadcast. I think I knew the words and tune of every popular song at that time. I was about seven and my dad was home on leave, as a rare treat he had booked for us to see Cinderella pantomime at the Royal Theatre in Leeds. We were sat in the circle, mum, dad my sister and me.
Two of the stars were Norman Evans and Tess OShea. He was a comedian with ‘Over the garden wall’ sketch and she was a singer with a ukulele. At one point in the show, she and he were on the stage and pulled down a screen with the words of a popular song on it. Tesse sang it and then Norman said that he wanted a child in the audience to sing it. Lots put their hands up, me included as I loved the song, and amazingly the conductor of the orchestra pointed to me in the circle. The music started and I sang my heart out. I remember seeing my sister shrinking in her seat but I loved it.
When I finished the applause was wonderful and Norman Evans said ‘that was really good love, get your mum and dad to bring you to see me after the show’. On the way out we could hear people talking about me, one lady was saying I was a ‘sunbeam’ which was a girls dancing and singing group, and that I had been planted in the audience. I asked my mum if we were going to see him and she said ‘no love, its late, we have to get the bus home’, so that was my moment of fame.
This was the song….When Can I Have A Banana Again. The link is the man who wrote it, I can’t find a link with Tesse singing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at8GVNcqfdk
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle

http://www.pamspoetry.yolasite.com

Back to top Go down

My Moment of Fame during World War 2 Empty Re: My Moment of Fame during World War 2

Post by Tan on Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:39 am

How lovely for you our Joelle  Very Happy  such fond memories for sure, and so proud you would have felt then, as your Parents and Sister watching you, and enjoying your singing then, as now for you remembering back. Very Happy

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

My Moment of Fame during World War 2 Empty Re: My Moment of Fame during World War 2

Post by Joelle on Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:09 am

I loved it Tan, at that age I wan't shy at all, that came later!
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:35 am

Very good our Joelle, my grandparents use to sing all sorts of popular songs from World War 2. They especially liked Vera Lynn and my grandma use to sing We'll Meet Again. After all these years I can still hear her singing it with her lilting voice.  chuckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Joelle on Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:21 am

Yes Vera Lynn was a great favourite of ours too Rich. 'White Cliffs of Dove'r and another song 'Yours' were so lovely and I'm sure she brought so much comfort to the soldiers at the time with her songs. Anne Shelton was another good singer that was always to my mind overshadowed by Vera Lynn but she had a lovely vice too.
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:35 am

Yes our Joelle, my grandma use to love Anne Shelton as well and she use to sing her songs, I just can't remember which ones. My grandma passed away in 1972. She had a lovely voice and so did granddad. The English were always game for a sing song and their home was always full of music, all the time, because their children were all very musical. My grandparents would sing all sorts of English diddies. I miss that so much God bless them.  chuckles

Last edited by Rich on Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:19 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Joelle on Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:22 am

Your grandparents a bit like me then Rich. I can remember the words from most of the song when I was young. Would never remember any of the modern ones now. I often say to Sam, bet that won't be remembered in 70 years time.

One song I remember from Anne Shelton was (not sure of the title)

My sweetheart is a soldier as handsome as can be
then suddenly they sent him away across the sea
so patiently I waited until his leave was due
then wrote and said my darling, I'll tell you what to do

Come to the station
Jump from the train
walk at the double
down lovers lane
there in the dell where the roses entwine
Lay down your arms and surrender to mine.
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:14 am

Awww that was lovely Joelle. I think all those songs back then warmed the soldiers hearts and gave them hope and solace and something to live for and look forward to as in going home. A lot of those songs were so romantic. Even my parents use to tell me about the songs back then, because my Dad was in the Canadian Navy in world war 2. They got married in 1950. They danced to big band music when they started dating in 1946. I wish in a way I grew up in that era, the men dressed so dapper. When I was a kid my father always dressed well and so did mum, Dad's shoes were always shined, he wore an elegant suit and a fedora, always. Dad wore a fedora into the sixties. Those were the days.  chuckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Joelle on Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:36 am

The were indeed Rich, I was married in the 50's too. and we always wore smart clothes and loved 'dressing' up for an occasion. My late husband always wore a suit, shirt and tie, or an open neck shirt in summer, don't think they had jeans then and tee shirts. My mother, mother in law and aunts wore hats when they went out, I only wore one if there was a wedding funeral etc. They were good times as was my childhood, even though it was in war time and rationing, I never felt deprived, but all the children were in the same boat and made their own amusements. Happy days indeed.
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:48 pm

Oh Joelle, how absolutely splendid that must have been and listening to the song itself, I can so easily imagine you standing there in the audience and singing your lovely little heart out!!
And I'm still smiling after reading, " I remember seeing my sister shrinking in her seat ..." - but bet she was secretly very proud of you, too!
What a shame easy magic didn't exist (cell phones) then and you weren't recorded - darn, because I'm sure you sang it beautifully!

While we didn't listen to the same music in our house, I can so easily agree with you, Joelle and Rich ... my father too never went out without his suit and hat - nor did my mother even leave home other than fully dressed up. 

And I honestly miss the days when people seemed to care more and shoes were shined and one took care with one's dress - sigh.

Thank you so very much for sharing your 'Moment of Fame' with us, our Joelle!

Back to top Go down

Post by Joelle on Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:54 pm

You are welcome Mara xx
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle

Back to top Go down

Post by June on Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:02 am

A proud, and probably very exciting moment for you Joelle. I was too young to remember the 'war' songs but I do remember Vera Lynn. 'We'll Meet Again' was one of my favourites and still is.

My memories of the 2nd world war are all second-hand ones from my mum.  The men involved never spoke of it.
June
June
June
June

Back to top Go down

Post by Joelle on Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:38 am

I can understand that June, not wanting to talk about it, in those days they didn't recognise post traumatic stress illnesses and there was no counselling for the horrors they had seen, Or for the widows that lost their husbands or mothers that lost their sons. I think they used to say someone was 'shell shocked' but don;t think they did anything to help.
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:00 pm

And worse, if I remember my history correctly, often men were shot on the field my their own for 'cowardice' because it simply wasn't understood.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down