WW1 and the Canadian Province of Quebec

Go down

WW1 and the Canadian Province of Quebec Empty WW1 and the Canadian Province of Quebec

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:35 pm

A bit of background:

Quebec is a Province of Canada that has been 'at war' with the rest of Canada 'forever' - at least since the French lost the war for ownership of Canada to the British.

I won't go into long, boring details but even now, many English speaking Canadians resent the people of Quebec - perhaps for many reasons but including that in Quebec a store owner,for instance, can not put up his or her sign in English - it must be in French only.  That's the law.  'They' don't need to learn English in the school system there - yet the remainder of Canada must learn French. 

They have different laws, different income tax rates, different welfare rates, etc than the remainder of Canada - and are, now, preparing to take a vote to separate from Canada ... the reasons go on but I found the below interesting:

WW1 and French Canadians
Source:  CBC  - Canada History
"During First World War, the issue of military service touched the soul of French Canada, sparking violence and bloodshed and ripping open the country's linguistic divide.

When war erupted in 1914, it caused a patriotic fervor in English Canada. Volunteers flocked to recruiting stations and everyone got into the war effort at home, determined to contribute to the British Empire's battle in Europe.

In stark contrast, French Canada felt removed from Britain's plight. They felt little attachment to the Imperial mother country.

Of the 400,000 Canadians who volunteered for service in WWI, fewer than one in 20 were French.

On May 18, 1917, Prime Minister Borden retreated from his earlier promise and introduced a conscription bill, the Military Services Act.

On August 28, conscription became law and was followed by two days of violence in Montreal. Store windows were smashed and tramway rails ripped up.

Thousands of conscripts, particularly French-speaking ones, refused to be sent to the front and went into hiding.

A few months later - November 11, 1918 - the war ended but the fallout of the conscription issue would continue long after.

The conscription crisis stuck in the minds of French Canadians in the decades to come. The memories fueled the flames of growing French nationalist passions and created a permanent wedge in Canada's linguistic divide".

Back to top Go down

WW1 and the Canadian Province of Quebec Empty Re: WW1 and the Canadian Province of Quebec

Post by Tan on Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:19 pm

Very interesting to read about our Mara, and for me to learn about. 
It goes to show how even to this day, there is still a lot of divide.

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

WW1 and the Canadian Province of Quebec Empty Re: WW1 and the Canadian Province of Quebec

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:30 pm

There is, sadly, our Tan.

I honestly don't quite understand why all Canadians can't be treated alike, no matter which Province they live in and no matter what all the various 'special interest' groups keep demanding - sigh.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:12 pm

My Dad use to say, the main problem with Quebec is that it is filled with Frenchmen. When they tried to separate years ago with the so called referendum, it was defeated. The French have been a pain in the arse forever.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:22 pm

Aah, yes ... now, if only they were situated at the end of Canada instead, we could happily lop them off - evil little grin.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:47 am

Mara wrote:Aah, yes ... now, if only they were situated at the end of Canada instead, we could happily lop them off - evil little grin.

That would be great Mara and I would help do it. My Mick lives in Montreal so I have been going there for years. The French are rude arrogant people and most of the times when you meet them, they greet you in French and if you respond in English, they ignore you and walk away, especially at the airport. I had a situation happen to me at Pierre Trudeau airport in one of the restaurants. I had a lay over waiting for a flight to Toronto. I went in there for a bite to eat and a few beer. I was ignored, so I went to the manager and complained. I was given an apology in English and a free meal and 2 beer.  chuckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Nev on Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:18 am

I sometimes wonder why we ever dragged the French out of trouble in two wars, even in France itself there is a large number of the population are just plain ignorant and arrogant towards anyone who speaks English.

Nev
~ God Bless you our Nev ~
~ God Bless you our Nev ~

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:53 am

That is true our Nev. I had 2 uncles in the Canadian Army and as far as they were concerned the French were cowards. Take Charles de Galle when he was exiled in Britain. He was rude and arrogant to his host and he demanded this and that and so on. The thing is there has been an enmity between the French and English for hundreds of years and I think there always we be. I personally have no use for them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down