Rich's new Norco

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Re: Rich's new Norco

Post by Tan on Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:17 am

Great temperatures there for you our Rich, it is warming up nicely my side.  emotic18 
All the best for getting a gel seat at a reasonable price.

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:19 am

Thanks Tan, we shall see, I am going to check out Canadian Tire's web site to see what they have. Currently at just after 7am it is 45 degrees and it will be 65 degrees at noon today.  chuckles  Sunny and no rain in the forecast.

Back to top Go down

Post by nordog on Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:23 am

Try putting more of your weight onto the peddles Rich instead of the saddle for a time after a while your bum will harden to the saddle and your legs will act as shock absorbers to the bumps, jells add weight and can leak.
Take some jelly beans for energy, we have jelly babies here for that purpose.  Happy riding.
nordog
nordog
Nordog
Nordog

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:24 am

nordog wrote:
Rich wrote:
nordog wrote:2014-04-09 Nice looking bike are you thinking of riding off road now. 
If you can do some basic servicing Rich like oiling the cables changing pads etc, if the brakes are similar to your old bike get some spare pads      
I carry things like pads & tubes on my rides. Happy riding.  bike

Sorry Gordon, I forgot to mention, it has disk brakes like my other bike so it doesn't need conventional pads per se, I would imagine that the lining inside the calipers will have to be changed some day.  chuckles
Rich I knew you had disc brakes, the lining as you called are known here as pads the rim brakes were known as blocks. The ones on my Rocky drop into the calipers from the top very ease to replace. The ones that I have at the yard are magnetic, is yours?

Hi Gordon, on the older bikes we call the blocks, pads here and for the calipers we call that lining. I had a good look at the brakes yesterday and I am not sure if the linings are magnetic, but, they look very easy to replace if need be.  chuckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:25 am

nordog wrote:Try putting more of your weight onto the peddles Rich instead of the saddle for a time after a while your bum will harden to the saddle and your legs will act as shock absorbers to the bumps, jells add weight and can leak.
Take some jelly beans for energy, we have jelly babies here for that purpose.  Happy riding.

Hi again our Gordon, I take chocolate with me which acts as a good energy boost as I am not fond of hard candy and don't like jelly beans.  chuckles

Back to top Go down

Post by nordog on Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:08 am

Just got back from a ride, had to ride through a mass of glass left behind by youngsters under the bypass. I then had to pump the front tyre three times  to finish the ride, I have put my new summer tyres onto Rocky. Took jelly babies for energy but I don't think I enough beetle juice before my ride, there was not a lot of power in my old legs today.
nordog
nordog
Nordog
Nordog

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:11 am

I find that hard to believe our Gordon, you are a good rider and I admire your effort. I just got back from a good ride today and I loved it, because it is early spring here and the weather was great. I love my new bike and I am getting used to the seat, so, my bum and goulies feel fine.  chuckles

Back to top Go down

Post by nordog on Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:41 am

Well there is a few short hills to ride up and the first trail is not so ease that way round as normally  I come home that way.
nordog
nordog
Nordog
Nordog

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:24 am

I went for a nice long ride yesterday as the weather was gorgeous out, just over 60 degrees F and sunny. I went on a really nice trail with hills and the bike worked great. I have been having second thoughts about the seat and may not change it out after all. I guess I had to break it in or get used to it. It doesn't seem to be as hard on the bum like when I first got it.  chuckles

Back to top Go down

Post by nordog on Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:44 am

Good for you Rich, it is good exercise to stand on the peddles and when going down hill shift your bum back over the rear of your saddle the steeper the hill the further back with tum lined up with the saddle this way your safer & faster. Plus your bum is rested & cooled.
nordog
nordog
Nordog
Nordog

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:02 am

So nice for you our Rich, sounds a lovely ride out for you  Very Happy  and great to hear you are getting used to the saddle now.  Very Happy

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:52 am

Yes our sweet Tan, it was hard on my private parts at first, but, I think I have broken in the seat and it is not so bad now, thank God.  chuckles

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:57 am

I took my new bike into the shop yesterday for a checkup. When you buy a new bike from this shop, they ask you to ride it for a few weeks then bring it in so they can go over it. It has been fine except for the seat, so, they gave me another one and I like it a lot better. It is not as hard on the private parts as the other one was. They made a few adjustments and adjusted the brakes. It has been great and I really enjoy it.  chuckles 

Back to top Go down

Post by nordog on Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:16 am

They do that free first service here  Rich, I took my then new Ridgeback a month after having it they had to replace bottom bracket for a sealed one as it broke up inside. I don't think sealed bearings had much use in those days 1997. Happy riding but make sure you have those spare pads and new tubes on long ridges, an old tude cut up about four inches long is handy as a gaiter inside the tyre if the wall splits then tape around the tyre and wheel, it will get you home.
nordog
nordog
Nordog
Nordog

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri May 02, 2014 5:14 am

Thanks for that tip Gordon, I will take the bike back to the shop in a few weeks and they will check the lining in the brake calipers. I forgot to mention, the other good thing about this bike is that it carries a 5 year full warranty on any parts or labour. So, if anything goes wrong it won't cost me anything.  chuckles 

Back to top Go down

Post by nordog on Fri May 02, 2014 5:30 am

Your lucky to have a full five years Rich.
nordog
nordog
Nordog
Nordog

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri May 02, 2014 5:36 am

Yes it is great our Gordon, all Norco bikes, regardless of the model or style carry the same warranty. This is good to know because they stand behind their products.  chuckles 

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Fri May 02, 2014 5:55 am

That is great about the 5 year warranty on all parts our Rich, well worth having that with it.

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri May 02, 2014 5:59 am

Tan wrote:That is great about the 5 year warranty on all parts our Rich, well worth having that with it.

Yes indeed our sweet Tan that warranty is a good selling feature. These Norco bikes are a bit on the pricey side as I paid 300 pounds for mine. That included the tax because everything here in Canada is taxed big time. It was money well spent because they make some of the best bikes in Canada. Gordon's Rocky was also made in Canada.  chuckles 

Back to top Go down

Post by nordog on Fri May 02, 2014 10:10 am

Dam cheap over your side of the pond Rich, average price here for a mountain bike must be about £1,200with just one years warranty. We do have the very cheap stuff but they put people off cycling because they are useless after a few weeks £100,00 and are so heavy I can't lift them.
nordog
nordog
Nordog
Nordog

Back to top Go down

Post by Condor on Fri May 02, 2014 12:28 pm

Asda - (would you believe!) - have 'mountain-bikes' and BMX bikes for £89.99. Strangely, today, while I was down at Radcliffe Market, I refused the offer of renting stalls again... (to sell new bikes)...I wonder why?

dudu
Condor
Condor
Condor
Condor

http://www.condorosa.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by June on Sat May 03, 2014 12:11 am

I have just read an article that recommends cycling as good, all-round exercise that helps ward off dementia.  Must be worth a try.
June
June
June
June

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat May 03, 2014 3:25 am

nordog wrote:Dam cheap over your side of the pond Rich, average price here for a mountain bike must be about £1,200with just one years warranty. We do have the very cheap stuff but they put people off cycling because they are useless after a few weeks £100,00 and are so heavy I can't lift them.

Well Gordon, you get what you pay for as the saying goes. The average Norco mountain bikes starts at 250 pounds here, and they go all the up to 6,000 pounds. Windsor Police has a cycle patrol and they ride Norcos and their bikes are 1,200 pounds each. It all depends on what you can afford I guess, the bike I bought and the price I paid suits me fine. I also agree that the cheaper bikes say at 100 pounds are heavy and the quality is not very good. If a person is an avid cyclist, like you, me and Dave, you're better off buying something good. I also agree that the cheaper bikes are heavy a lot more heavier than mine as my Norco has an aluminum frame and weighs 25 pounds it is really light and it really moves.  chuckles

PS: Tori and I are going to the bike shop today, to look for a bike for her.  chuckles 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat May 03, 2014 3:39 am

June wrote:I have just read an article that recommends cycling as good, all-round exercise that helps ward off dementia.  Must be worth a try.

Yes indeed our June, it certainly is. It is really good exercise, good for your lungs and cardiovascular system and especially your legs. I see people of all ages riding bikes. A neighbor couple, a few doors down, are in their early seventies and they go riding every day. So, if a person is in relative good health, age doesn't matter and riding a bike is a lot easier on you than walking and or jogging. You and your hubby should buy some bikes, start off easy at first and go for a short ride every day. I am sure you will both love it.  chuckles 

Back to top Go down

Post by Condor on Sat May 03, 2014 7:11 am

Yep, good keep-fit is cycling.

The problem with bikes such as asda's is: they don't have a repair section and the (cheapo) bikes are prone to falling apart. Then cheapo bike buyers phone me and play hell  I Do not know  when I tell them I'm not a subsidiary of Asda's and a bike repair on a cheapo is the same price as a repair on a...well, Norco or Dawes! (I'm a Dawes agent would you believe)

Whistling 

Very Happy
Condor
Condor
Condor
Condor

http://www.condorosa.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down