Just old stuff

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Just old stuff Empty Just old stuff

Post by Guest on Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:03 pm

None of these will be in sequence - but what the heck! Just old stuff Icon_flower But perhaps others may find 'old stuff' interesting, too.

Just old stuff 01_18510

Back to top Go down

Just old stuff Empty Re: Just old stuff

Post by Guest on Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:04 pm

Just old stuff 1870s_10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:05 pm

Just old stuff 1880s_10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:08 pm

Just old stuff 02_19010

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:09 pm

Just old stuff Sidewa10

Back to top Go down

Post by Joelle on Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:15 pm

These are all really interesting Mara, thank you xx
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle

http://www.pamspoetry.yolasite.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Condor on Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:40 pm

Just old stuff Icon_biggrin Good ones Mara - an interesting read. Especially the one about Sidewalks and Village Streets.

Just old stuff 830124
Condor
Condor
Condor
Condor

http://www.condorosa.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Nemo on Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:18 pm

Really Interesting Mara i like these old laws like how all speeding and drinking all the money went to the village or town , and the taking floorboards up in a car so the hot air filled your skirts fine but getting oil on your boots would be the least of your problems concidering the Carbon Monoxide and that fly wheel sounds lethal,
But the poor Ladies all them clothes very restricting and hot and ages to get dressed Just old stuff Icon_biggrin
Thankyou for these
Captain Nemo
Captain Nemo
~ God Bless you our Captain Nemo ~

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:46 pm

Thank you for the interest - how very kind all of you are!

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:00 pm

How lovely these are and so interesting Mara to see!..
I had a giggle of the overcoats blowing up like a balloon with the hot air, I expect that brought many a laugh when this happened especially for the ladies who wore long dresses!.
The ladies must have taken a while to get dressed and with the undergarments that they wore too in making their waists look ever so small!..Imagine wearing those in the summer!..

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by honeybee on Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:31 am

Oh Mara what a lovely find... I was in awe reading... thank you
I just loved those flowing dresses and the shoes woman wore. It must have taken ages to get dressed. They did look so gorgeous though
honeybee
honeybee
Our Smilie Queen
Our Smilie Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:20 am

And what agony, too! My Grandmother had gowns that she'd brought with her to the New Country - and egad, what a tiny waist she must have had! Apparently, over here they were saved for 'good' occasions - suspect dragging buckets of water up from the creek was best down with no corsets involved - grin!

I wish I could say her dressed and my Grandfather's fancy kilt outfit had been preserved wonderfully - sadly, most were given to a tiny museum in the town - no air conditioning in the summer and no heat in the winter - I cringe to think what must have become of them by now.

One thing I did notice when going through the old trunks of clothing Margaret had tucked away in her attic ... the intricate details in the sewing - all down by hand, yet even the nightgowns had tiny precise stitching and lace and embroidery. So lovely things and while our clothes are much more practical now, I really do suspect I may have been born a century - or two - too late! Just old stuff Icon_biggrin

In my 'family history' thread - in the family photo, while it doesn't show, my Grandmother had red hair as did two of my aunts - and I actually knew 3 of my aunts and one uncle. By the time I came along, they were already 'older' by far - but one in particular, I truly adored. She never ever stopped wearing her long skirts and gorgeous blouses, etc - and best of all, she'd have me stay with her for a week or so most summers when I was a child ... and she and I would quite literally slide down her banister and eat junk food together - such fun and even at her age, she still had very few gray hair in her red.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:49 am

Wonderful memories Mara.
I wonder at the hair styles, so intricate, I much prefer the modern styles a lot less trouble.

In those days pre- central heating I suppose it was essential to wear lots of clothing and under wear to keep warm.

When I was a child I always wore a vest a liberty bodice, knickers with a pocket in ,and a petticoat, before my outer clothes and I always had gloves on a piece of elastic threaded through my coat, long socks keep up by elastic, and pixie hat.

I remember mornings with the frost on the inside of the windows and getting out of bed and jumping for the mat as the lino was cold.

Back to top Go down

Post by Joelle on Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:59 am

angel wrote:Wonderful memories Mara.
I wonder at the hair styles, so intricate, I much prefer the modern styles a lot less trouble.

In those days pre- central heating I suppose it was essential to wear lots of clothing and under wear to keep warm.

When I was a child I always wore a vest a liberty bodice, knickers with a pocket in ,and a petticoat, before my outer clothes and I always had gloves on a piece of elastic threaded through my coat, long socks keep up by elastic, and pixie hat.

I remember mornings with the frost on the inside of the windows and getting out of bed and jumping for the mat as the lino was cold.

Angel I wore just the same and long woollen socks to the knee or black stocking held up by the liberty bodice and elastic when I was little too or elastic garters, when they drooped Very Happy
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:34 pm

Drooping socks - aah, I would have sold my 6 year old soul to wear a pair to school, drooping or not, I suspect. My mother had a firm belief that young children must - at all times when the temperature fell below 60 degrees - wear horrible brown tights and brown, lace up oxfords. The brown tights were a shade of brown that just wasn't right (grin) and I loathed them. You'd see girls everywhere reefing things up at the waist because as the day progressed, they headed south- waist, knees and ankles - sob and gentle laugh.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:39 pm

Hope it's okay that some things about schools here is added ...
Just old stuff 1890s_10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:42 pm

School where my grandparents settled was non-existent but eventually there were enough people to band together and build a one-room school house - and the photo in the attachment below is of that original school house.

Just old stuff 1890_s10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:45 pm

I was always curious how one could tell by looking at all the old photos if the child was a boy or girl ...

Just old stuff 1880s_11

Back to top Go down

Post by Joelle on Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:23 pm

Mara this is all so interesting, and I love the way you are presenting these gems for us to read, thank you.
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:25 am

I'll second that. Really enjoyable.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:44 am

I love these pieces of memorabilia

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:08 am

Really lovely, thankyou Mara for sharing these!.

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Nemo on Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:26 pm

Thankyou Mara these really are so interesting and the teachers what restrictions paid little and told to save it for old age what did they do teach then read the Bible or good books really must have been veryb hard on Women especially and if she married she was sacked why, but i did like that a male couldnt have a Barber shave or drink but had one evening to court,
Thankyou for this its very interesting Just old stuff Icon_biggrin
Captain Nemo
Captain Nemo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:08 am

Thank you so much, kind ones! It was such fun creating the family heritage album with my sister and now, sharing them here, is lovely for me.

'Rats' (don't you just love that name?!!) for the hair ... my aunt (the banister sliding lady who never gave up her long skirts), showed me how ladies always brushed their hair 100 strokes each night, no matter how exhausted - and then saved the hair from their brushes in a jar to create their own 'rats' (to make they hair seem huge when rolled up). No fool these ladies as their 'rats' always matched their own hair colour - and were free too! Just old stuff Icon_flower

Just old stuff 704l11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:09 am

Just old stuff Corset10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum: