Just old stuff

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Just old stuff - Page 2 Empty Re: Just old stuff

Post by Guest on Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:17 am

And lest one of us should need to know the basics of survival (and
assuming a pig is available, of course! Just old stuff - Page 2 Icon_biggrin ) ...
Just old stuff - Page 2 1920s_10

Back to top Go down

Post by June on Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:18 am

Aren't you just glad mara that we don't have to wear those restricting clothes now? Women have come a long way since those days but it's fascinating to read about it. Perhaps some grossly obese people (male and female) could start the fashion again instead of those stomach bands they have fitted Very Happy
June
June
June
June

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:18 am

Just old stuff - Page 2 1920s_11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:20 am

Just old stuff - Page 2 1920s_12

Back to top Go down

Post by June on Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:21 am

It was just the same here of course, many years ago and was recently reflected in the popular series on TV...'Larkrise to Candleford.'

Every family owned a pig then, which was fattened up all year, then slaughtered and used for food for the following months.

I could never slaughter anything but that was how it was and it's good to be self-sufficient. We would have to learn all those things again if all our mod cons were taken away.
June
June
June
June

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:24 am

June wrote:Aren't you just glad mara that we don't have to wear those restricting clothes now? Women have come a long way since those days but it's fascinating to read about it. Perhaps some grossly obese people (male and female) could start the fashion again instead of those stomach bands they have fitted Very Happy

I'm wonderfully relieved!! And it's no wonder the poor ladies fainted regularly - wouldn't even take a big breath when receiving 'shocking' news (and when seeing the comparison between - on either side of the main photo - one can see why - the poor organs all squished up! Ouch!

Re 'stomach bands' - hmm, weight has to go somewhere, surely - so having a skinny waist and super big knees and breasts - yikes!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:26 am

Yes, that is so very true! We've lost something along the way too, I think - don't want the endless work people had but, for instance, my grandsons know intellectually that milk 'comes from cows' but it doesn't really register because they've never truly been close up with cows, let alone seen them milked.(And yup, I can milk a cow!). Just old stuff - Page 2 Icon_flower

Back to top Go down

Post by June on Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:29 am

Yes, those corsets were extremely bad for the health and, of course, that's why they were eventually abandoned. They must have been responsible for many birth-related maladies Shocked

I'm sure I could learn to milk a cow and you know, lots of people here are turning back to the land and growing their own food, keeping chickens etc. There are waiting lists for allotments (rented plots of land) and we have lots of TV programmes showing how to do it.

A good thing for the future for everyone I feel.
June
June
June
June

Back to top Go down

Post by June on Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:30 am

I have to go now. See you later Wave 10
June
June
June
June

Back to top Go down

Post by Joelle on Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:22 am

OO a bit gruesome though, yet they all thought nothing about it, it was their way of life, great reading all this Mara
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle

http://www.pamspoetry.yolasite.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon May 03, 2010 7:30 pm

It is gruesome - and I remember the first (and only) time my Father decided I could kill and 'dress' a chicken. My poor Mother was horrified - especially when I came back into the house with 'goop' all over my little ruffled dress and ribbons - huge laugh!).

And 'turning back to the land' has huge appeal to me (if I was younger and less lazy, of course - grin) ... it only takes the computers to go down for a day and poof, one can't pay for groceries or get any cash. We really do depend on things and others now - and it makes me cringe to think that children aren't even encouraged to use their pencils or brains to do math - rather, even in the elementary grades, a calculator is added to the list of school supplies needed.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon May 03, 2010 7:34 pm

Here in Canada, we've had both Sears and Eaton's mail-order catalogs
'forever' (although sadly Eatons is now defunct) ... and I always loved
the idea of how people could simply order a house!
Just old stuff - Page 2 1910_e10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon May 03, 2010 7:36 pm

Just old stuff - Page 2 1910_e11

Back to top Go down

Post by honeybee on Tue May 04, 2010 12:16 am

So so interesting Mara... order a house...
honeybee
honeybee
Our Smilie Queen
Our Smilie Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by June on Tue May 04, 2010 1:01 am

That is fascinating...I wish I could order a house. You can order homes from somewhere like Sweden and have them erected here but they are very expensive.

Nice to see you Mara Nodding Yes
June
June
June
June

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Tue May 04, 2010 9:20 am

Lovely to see you back with us Mara and I hope yourself and Glen are okay!. Just old stuff - Page 2 872617

Weather too there as well, we are getting much more of that nice warm circle in the sky, we had forgotten what the sun was like!. Just old stuff - Page 2 Icon_sunny

So interesting reading what you have put on and can you order me a house too please!..Not too big as I am only little and quiet too!.

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue May 04, 2010 12:01 pm

Thanks, kind ladies - I assure you it's wonderful to be back- yipeee!!

That's all three of us wanting that house - they offered several different models in various price ranges - 'something for everyone'. Come to think about it, there was decades ahead of Ikea's 'furniture in a kit' - grin.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nev on Tue May 04, 2010 12:39 pm

I have just read through this and found it wonderful. There were of course many similarities to how life was lived in those times here in Britain, and of course many things and social niceties would have originated from here any way.
There are quite few museums in various parts of the country that have been set up to depict how life was in the past, mainly the 1800's. I have visited two, one is near Shrewsbury and in the Iron Bridge Gorge and is called Blists Hill Museum. The other I visited is up on the north east not to far away from Newcastle and is called the Beamish museum.
Rather than try to explain what each museum site offers it is much easier to look at the website of each.
For Blists Hill museum--
http://www.ironbridge.org.uk/our_attractions/blists_hill_victorian_town/

And for the Beamish museum look here-
http://www.beamish.org.uk/Home.aspx

The staff at both these museums dress in clothing appropriate to the time, and in most cases will give a talk about how the people lived and worked as according to whatever position in life they portray, whether it be a humble labourer or a skilled craftsman, to the chemist in his shop or the printer in his works. Such things as the men who worked on the wagon ways which carried goods by the first steam engines, and how the clothes they wore were never washed, becoming so soaked in a mixture of sweat and oil that they must have been horrendously smelly to be anywhere near them. They only put clean stuff on when it was new, to replace something that had literally rotted off their back.

Nev
~ God Bless you our Nev ~
~ God Bless you our Nev ~

Back to top Go down

Post by Alan on Tue May 04, 2010 12:46 pm

Thanks, Nev, all very interesting Just old stuff - Page 2 Icon_biggrin

"To know an elephant is to be touched by him - these gentle giants humble mankind. He is nature's greatest Masterpiece." John Donne - Poet
Alan
Alan
Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed May 05, 2010 12:11 am

Thanks so much for the links, Nev!

At the first, suspect my favourite would have to be the 'Squatter's Cottage' ... and, out of curiousity, in England there is some type of law that even now permits 'open walking' on private land, I think?

Cringed reading about the lack of cleanliness of some of the working men - they must have stayed single (would have been pretty hard to woo a lady smelling so bad - eek!).

Back to top Go down

Post by June on Wed May 05, 2010 12:17 am

That's right Mara...we have Public rights of Way and, as long as these paths are kept open by regular walking, then they remain public property even if they go through someone's land.

More to what Nev has said, we have the Helmshore Textile Museum quite near here which shows how everything was done years ago, particularly mill life.

All over the country there are similar museums Smile
June
June
June
June

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed May 05, 2010 12:22 am

That does it! I really need to practice wiggling my nose so magical can happen and poof, we'll be back in England! Truly, what an incredible Country you have!

Back to top Go down

Post by June on Wed May 05, 2010 12:28 am

**Quote from Mara**That does it! I really need to practice wiggling my nose so magical can happen and poof, we'll be back in England! Truly, what an incredible Country you have!**end Quote**

Wouldn't it be nice if we could travel through space in a flash. Not just to friends we have now but into the past like Dr. Who (our popular TV series). I think that's why the programme is so popular. Smile
June
June
June
June

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed May 05, 2010 12:37 am

We don't have Dr.Who here - drat! But what an adventure it would be to return to the way of life our ancestors had - if only for a day - and, of course, assuming they weren't dirt poor and stealing to prevent starving, etc - eek! Still, I wouldn't be able to resist if that type of magic could happen!

Back to top Go down

Post by June on Wed May 05, 2010 12:40 am

Yes, it would be so nice to have a magic wand. I think I would have enjoyed the life of a settler in a new land. hard work but very satisfying making a new start and being independent.

Here is a link to some of the attractions in Lancashire: http://www.visitlancashire.com/site/things-to-do/search/helmshore-mills-textile-museum-p7153
June
June
June
June

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next