Just old stuff

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Just old stuff - Page 3 Empty Re: Just old stuff

Post by Guest on Wed May 05, 2010 11:31 am

What a peaceful looking setting - until one remembers that these mills were the scenes of incredibly hard work and long hours, etc ... but what a terrific Museum this is, June! I bet people spend entire days there (I know I would!)!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed May 05, 2010 11:36 am

Just old stuff - Page 3 00000110

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed May 05, 2010 11:38 am

Just old stuff - Page 3 00000010

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu May 06, 2010 12:37 am

My Grandma had a washing machine which was really a boiler with a gas flame underneath to heat the water and in the lid a paddle which had to be turned so many times one way and the same the other, she used shredded Sunlight soap. The whole house was coated in steam, rinse the washing in the sink and then on to the mangel in the garden. It was a whole days job and it was cold meat for dinner from the Sunday joint, as Monday was wash day.

How things have changed thank goodness Women did not work they just didn't have the time.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu May 06, 2010 11:10 am

Hi angel - loved reading about Monday wash days at your Grandma's! By the time night rolled around, cold dinner or not, bet she was more than ready to flop into bed! And I bet Tuesday was ironing day, too!

Yes, it must have been virtually a nightmare if a woman had to work outside the home as well as in - live is so much easier in many ways now. Think I'll run off and hug my auto washer and dryer!! Just old stuff - Page 3 Icon_biggrin

Back to top Go down

Post by honeybee on Thu May 06, 2010 11:27 am

Was really lovely reading about your electric blanket and.. Angel about the washing machine. Just love these old stories
honeybee
honeybee
Our Smilie Queen
Our Smilie Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu May 06, 2010 8:05 pm

So very pleased you too enjoy old stuff, Honeybee! Every time I think of this following one, I'm simply amazed that any of us have old family pictures - if I had to sit that still for that long without even blinking, no doubt I'd twitch! Grin!

Just old stuff - Page 3 1910_k10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu May 06, 2010 8:09 pm

And I really grinned learning the below because, as the kids say, "Well, duh!" Yup, they'd have had a hard time convincing ladies to shave if the only option was using a straight-razor - eek!

Just old stuff - Page 3 1915_w10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu May 06, 2010 8:13 pm

And to make our gentleman feel a bit more 'at home' with the old stuff
here, this one's for them (and all we ladies, too, of course!).

Just old stuff - Page 3 1918_a10

Back to top Go down

Post by honeybee on Fri May 07, 2010 4:18 am

Just breezing through
honeybee
honeybee
Our Smilie Queen
Our Smilie Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Nemo on Fri May 07, 2010 5:13 am

Thankyou so much Mara this is wonderful and June i looked at that site its great , i visited a Mill some 20 years ago in Exeter and in reality with all the belts and lethal machinery it must have been very dangerous and the little Children used to get in amongst the machinery it was terribly dangerous but our history,
Mara i love those old posters they are wonderful and as for Wilkinson sword a razor company saying Ladies underarm Hair was unfeminine and Unhygenic well they had it made didnt they starting a r=trend that you are the almost sole supplier of the product Just old stuff - Page 3 Icon_biggrin
Captain Nemo
Captain Nemo
~ God Bless you our Captain Nemo ~

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri May 07, 2010 10:26 pm

No fools they - huge grin! But advertising has a massive influence on
all our lives and while they may have become 'slicker' now, there was no
lack of charlatans - or worse - years ago too, sadly.

And Heaven help those that must have had such high hopes in this product
and became ill or even died - yikes!

Just old stuff - Page 3 1915_a10

Back to top Go down

Post by June on Sat May 08, 2010 1:05 am

I like those old printed ads. Fascinating. I had some old bottles, stoneware with cork stoppers, in my collection. They were made in the forties and were printed with old adverts especially for the American market. They were named 'Americana'

Just old stuff - Page 3 Americ10
June
June
June
June

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Nemo on Sat May 08, 2010 5:01 am

Safe Arsenic there is a first , we complain a lot nowadays but there arnt things like this for sale and the claims have to have some truth in them ,
June i like the Bottles they do look much older dont they , im sure i can remember Asprin in a little blue glass bottle with a cork stop and a wad of Cotton wool but it could have been something else Just old stuff - Page 3 Icon_biggrin
Captain Nemo
Captain Nemo

Back to top Go down

Post by Alan on Sat May 08, 2010 11:34 am

Good evening all, what an interesting topic, thank you so much.

"To know an elephant is to be touched by him - these gentle giants humble mankind. He is nature's greatest Masterpiece." John Donne - Poet
Alan
Alan
Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat May 08, 2010 11:42 am

Oh June, those bottles with the corks are lovely! They remind me (the pottery) of my Grandmother and Mother's huge old crocks (if I remember correctly, they made pickles in them plus stored head-cheese in others.

We have a large 'second hand' store (they call themselves an 'Antique Shoppe') near here and while I've zipped in to buy a bottle of my favourite silver cleaner now and then, would love to spend an afternoon just rummaging through and looking at the stuff they have.

So you use your bottles, I wonder? A massive handful of Buttercups, perhaps, tucked away in one on your window sill?

I don't remember aspirin in blue glass jars here, sadly, Captain - and, in fact, it's impossible now to buy aspirin in one of those little flat, flip up lid tins. They were perfect for tucking one into the car's glove box and another in my handbag - drat!

Does anyone else remember using tooth powder in a tin as a child? And having glass jars for shampoo, etc?

Thank you, Bwana - so glad you too like 'old stuff'! Just old stuff - Page 3 Icon_biggrin

Back to top Go down

Post by June on Sat May 08, 2010 1:19 pm

Yes, I remember toothpaste in a tin, it was like a pink block. It was called Gibb's.

In fact I use tooth-powder now in a plastic 'tin' called Eucryl. It is supposed to be for smokers but anyone can use it. It keeps your teeth white. Just old stuff - Page 3 Icon_biggrin

No Mara, I used the bottles just as ornaments but I sold them. I still have a large collection of vases and planters and I use some of them for plants and flowers.
June
June
June
June

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat May 08, 2010 7:33 pm

You're so lucky, June - I really miss tooth-powder and here there's only paste and jell type ... and while I don't mind the texture, it's the super-sweetness that is really off-putting for me.

I'm smiling at the memory of using glass in the washroom - those glass shampoo bottles would slide right out of my little hands as a child - and, of course, crash to pieces in the tub (resulting in nasty glass slivers and very severe scoldings for being so careless). Being 'green' is all well and good but I, for one, was really happy to see plastic containers arrive for bathroom stuff. Just old stuff - Page 3 Icon_biggrin

The bottles were sold - well, I can understand that, June ... glad you saved your very favourite vases and planters - isn't it lovely how some things, often as simply as a flower vase, can make our hearts simply happy when looking at them!

Back to top Go down

Post by June on Sun May 09, 2010 12:37 am

Yes Mara. I have collected my stoneware for many years and all the fun was in the collecting. Now I have no more space to display them all so most are packed in boxes. A little while ago I decided to sell some and also gave a lot to our local animal shelter where they have regular auctions to raise funds.
June
June
June
June

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun May 09, 2010 5:25 am

What a lovely thing to do, June - I'm sure the animal shelter was ever so grateful and whoever the lucky bidder on them is so happy, as well!

Can sympathize about things having to be pared down and many remaining ones stashed in boxes simply because of lack of space - under the stairwell, have created a little 'cubby' area for just that purpose but egad, what a nightmare it can be to pull everything out to just get at one thing. Yup, I'm rooting your place is sold very quickly now that Spring is here and the economy is apparently expected to start improving, June.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nev on Sun May 09, 2010 6:56 am

Blimy some good stuff here since I last looked, but I must comment about one thing that comes from my last post in this thread.
It is a common misconception that people smelled badly in those olden days when it was a common thing to not bathe more than once or maybe twice a year. At most those working in dirty jobs where their hands got really soiled would wash the muck off their hands but that would be all.
The one thing that is forgotten is a tiny bacteria, we are surrounded by it and it lives quite harmlessly in the soil. This bacteria is the one that quickly renders very smelly manure down to the nourishment for plants, and the little smell that normal soil has. People became covered in this bacteria, the result was the sweat odours were quickly neutralised, along with any other natural smells. Folks just had a slightly earthy smell and that is all. Of course everyone smelled the same, so no notice was taken of it.
There have been many experiments done to prove it, even going without washing your hair for long periods, all these experiments have proved conclusively that it is true and that harmless little bacteria does its job.
Not very well publicised, and of course nowadays with folk being super clean, there is some revulsion of such an idea. However there is now a growing concern that without a natural exposure to the less harmful bacteria, our immune systems are failing.

Nev
~ God Bless you our Nev ~
~ God Bless you our Nev ~

Back to top Go down

Post by honeybee on Sun May 09, 2010 7:01 am

Lovely post/chats have enjoyed reading them all Just old stuff - Page 3 791620
honeybee
honeybee
Our Smilie Queen
Our Smilie Queen

Back to top Go down