World War Two - D-Day - 70th Anniversary - 6th June

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

World War Two - D-Day - 70th Anniversary - 6th June

Post by Tan on Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:14 am

Many people, and Veteran Normandy Landings survivors, are gathering in Normandy today, 5th June, to commemorate, and honour, all those who died. 
God Bless them all. 

Hundreds of veterans and serving soldiers have gathered in Portsmouth to mark the 70th anniversary of D-Day.
The Princess Royal attended the event in the city, where exactly 70 years earlier troops were preparing to invade Nazi-occupied France.
Events are being held in the UK and France, and later HMS Bulwark will take veterans from Portsmouth to Normandy.
In Southsea, the Royal Marines and Royal Navy have staged an amphibious assault demonstration on the beach.
World leaders will attend an event at Sword Beach in France on Friday, where 650 UK veterans are also expected.
The Prince of Wales is attending a memorial service in France on Thursday to mark the taking of the strategic Pegasus Bridge.
The Queen and Duke of Edinburgh will mark the D-Day anniversary during a state visit to France which begins later in Paris.

Date: 03 June 2014 till 08 June 2014 
Time: This event is all day

Taking place at: D-Day-Museum
In 2014 the city of Portsmouth (home of the D-Day Museum) will mark the 70th anniversary of D-Day landings with events over six days. From 3rd to 8th June, there will be a veterans’ centre on the Southsea seafront, where Normandy veterans will be able to meet each other and members of the modern armed forces. On 5th June a drumhead service and parade on Southsea Common will be held, following this there will be an amphibious landing on Southsea beach by the Royal Navy. In the evening there will be a Sunset Concert for Heroes aimed specifically at veterans and their families as guest of honour. On 6th June, we turn our focus to the remembrance of D-Day with a service at the D-Day Stone in Southsea led by the Royal British Legion. The weekend of 7th - 8th June will see military vehicles, re-enactors and other activities bringing the wartime period to life on the seafront.

By Jane Peel, BBC News, in Arromanches, Normandy

Hundreds of British veterans are already in Normandy for the commemorations
The towns may have French names, but the five Allied landing beaches are still known as Utah, Omaha, Juno, Gold and Sword.
Continue reading the main story
“Start Quote
I was 20 the next day and I didn't think I'd see 20”
Charlie Stretch
It is 70 years since D-Day, the biggest amphibious assault in military history.
Prince Charles has laid a wreath at Pegasus Bridge, a strategic crossing which British troops captured within minutes of landing in gliders just after midnight on 6 June 1944. A mass parachute drop will take place in Ranville, the first village to be liberated.
On the anniversary itself, the Queen will head an international service of commemoration attended by royals, presidents and prime ministers.
Hundreds of veterans are here, but their numbers are dwindling. The youngest are well into their 80s. This will be the last significant anniversary most will witness.
Their stories of heroism and sacrifice, success and disaster will soon fade from living memory.
An emotional 88-year-old Sapper Harry Billinge said: "It was a killing field. I hope they will not forget the poor devils that died here."

The 70th anniversary celebrations

The 6th of June 1944 saw one of the most audacious and heroic wartime operations in the 20th century. Around 156,000 Allied soldiers landed on the beaches of Normandy in the biggest sea-borne invasion in military history. Known as Operation Overlord, the Allied mission was clear - to take back France from the invading Germans moving inwards from the coast. Landing on 5 beaches designated with the codenames by which they are still known today: Utah, Omaha, Gold, Juno and Sword, the soldiers stormed the coast from Saint-Marie-du-Mont to Ouistreham, taking thousands of casualties. The ensuing Battle of Normandy lasted for 80 days as the Allies repelled the German forces.
What's going on in 2014?
In 2014, France celebrates the 70th anniversary with a host of events and memorial ceremonies to remember those who gave their lives. The anniversary website will give full details of the events and ceremonies that are taking place and the British Government website is also full of information. 

Last edited by Tan on Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:40 pm; edited 3 times in total

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Re: World War Two - D-Day - 70th Anniversary - 6th June

Post by Tan on Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:20 am

Our Joelle has so kindly made this banner.xx  hug  it will be our main banner tomorrow. 

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Alan on Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:22 pm

ever since I saw the movie, "The Longest Day", I have been fascinated with D-Day.

Such a lovely banner that Joelle made for us for tomorrow, the 70th Anniversary of D-Day.

"To know an elephant is to be touched by him - these gentle giants humble mankind. He is nature's greatest Masterpiece." John Donne - Poet
Alan
Alan
Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by June on Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:25 pm

Many thanks Joelle.  We will never forget.

I've just seen some who saw action speaking on the news. They are still saddened when they speak of it.
June
June
June
June

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:21 am

Each of our Countries contributed to freedom and to each person I will always be so very grateful. 

So many deaths, so many wounded physically and, I suspect, even more wounded emotionally ... no matter which Country each was from, they are all heros in my eyes.

Please forgive me for only adding a bit about Canada here ...

"
Juno Beach Quick Facts
1.1 million Canadians served in WWII, including 106,000 in the Royal Canadian Navy and 200,000 in the Royal Canadian Air Force

- 42,042 killed
- 54,414 wounded

14,000 Canadians landed on D-Day
450 jumped by parachute or landed by glider
10,000 sailors of the RCN were involved
- 340 killed
- 574 wounded
- 47 taken prisoner

The Royal Canadian Navy provided 109 vessels, and 10,000 sailors as its contribution to the massive armada of 7,000 Allied vessels which put to sea on D-Day.

3rd Canadian Division landed at Juno Beach, led by the 7th Brigade, 8th Brigade, 6th Armoured Regiment and 10th Armoured Regiment.

The beach was fronted by the small villages of Courseulles-sur-Mer, Bernières and St. Aubin.

Canadian Objectives: To establish a beachhead, capture the three small seaside towns, advance ten miles inland, cut the Caen -Bayeux highway, seize the Carpiquet airport west of Caen, and form a link between the British beachheads Sword and Gold.
3rd Canadian Division progressed further inland than any of the Allies on D-Day.

During the first six days of the Normandy campaign, 1,017 Canadians died.

By the end of the Normandy campaign, about 5,020 Canadians had been killed. About 5,400 Canadians are buried in Normandy.

In the two and a half months of the Normandy campaign, Allied casualities (killed, wounded and captured) totalled 210,000.

Canadian casualties totaled more than 18,000, including more than 5,000 dead. German casualties were 450,000.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:23 am

The header is such a perfect tribute, Joelle - beautifully done.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:12 am

Thank you too our Mara, each Country gave their all, and more with everything they did during the war. So many died so young too. 
The war as a whole had been so hard, and so tragic to live through for all of them, ripping many families apart. Hard to comprehend all the struggles everyone went through during those times. Hearing a lot from our Parents and Grandparents. 
Hopefully nothing as terrible as those wars will ever happen again.
God Bless them all, from every country. They will never be forgotten.

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:32 am

Thank you our Tan, Mara and Joelle for the lovely tribute and the wonderful banner.

3rd Canadian Division landed at Juno Beach, led by the 7th Brigade, 8th Brigade, 6th Armoured Regiment and 10th Armoured Regiment.

My uncle landed that day in the 6th Armoured Regiment and he attended the 50th anniversary celebration in Normandy. My aunt Sally was a nurse in the Canadian Army and she was stationed at a hospital outside of London. She treated many allied, soldiers, airmen and seamen that were wounded that day. Both of them were part of the war in Europe until it ended in 1945. Thank God they both survived.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:00 am

Yes, I'm so glad they did as well, Rich.

It's actually hard for me to get my mind around the horror that war truly is ... one can read and watch documentary programs but even so, I think anything most of us can imagine is a tiny drop in the bucket of what reality must have been like.

I wonder if our grandchildren will one day live in a war free world - but sadly I doubt it.  Man kind and humanity is surely an oxymoron - sigh.

Back to top Go down

Post by June on Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:35 am

I watched some of the day's events from Normandy on TV today and mention was made of the great contribution made by Canadians.

It was not celebrating war but the bravery and sacrifice of so many in the war effort.

A moving and inspirational day.
June
June
June
June

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:27 pm

Bless this gentleman, nothing was going to stop him from going to Normandy.
Police said his care home wouldn't let him go to Normandy - so the 89-year-old appears to have hidden his medals under an overcoat and made the trip anyway.

War veteran Bernard Jordan ,who went missing from a nursing home in Hove, has been found in Normandy. Sussex Police were called yesterday (Thursday 5 June) by staff at a nursing home in Hove who said an 89-year-old who lived there had gone out at 10.30am that morning and had not been seen since.

Bernard had gone missing wearing his war medals. He has lived in Hove for his entire life. He served in the Royal navy during the Second World War. He was mayor of Hove in the mid-1990's.

The nursing home received a phone call from a younger veteran from Brighton at 10.30pm who said he had met the pensioner on a coach on the way to France and that they were safe and well in a hotel in Ouistreham.

Sussex Police say he is fine and with his friends, and will return after D-Day celebrations finish.

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:28 pm

D Day was comprised of 3 great Allies, Britain, Canada and the USA and we all suffered tremendous casualties. The invasion was a success in spite of our losses, we achieved a lot together as a united team. We eventually overcame the hun and defeated them, together.  chuckles Thank God for all our servicemen working together in unity.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:27 pm

Good for him and well done!!  Besides, they Nursing home should surely not have the right to make decisions for the elderly as long as their minds are okay - I'm so glad he made the trip and found a friend along the way!

Thanks for bringing this lovely gentleman to our attention, Tan.

And yes, for surely without a united front, things may have turned out so horribly different, Rich.

Every old soldier has a story and every soldier who died then or since or still lives with his/her memories is a true hero.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:00 am

I just caught the story on the news as the gentleman had been brought home safely. 
Seems he thought he might be 'told off', but the opposite happened, he had a hero's welcome from all the staff, all waving Union Jack Flags  Very Happy  and they hugged him.  Very Happy  Big Hug

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by June on Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:17 am

I saw it as well.  Great stuff  Very Happy
June
June
June
June

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:30 am

Very Happy Lovely isn't it, and knowing he back home again.
Here he is waving.  Bye 

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:41 am

Tan wrote:I just caught the story on the news as the gentleman had been brought home safely. 
Seems he thought he might be 'told off', but the opposite happened, he had a hero's welcome from all the staff, all waving Union Jack Flags  Very Happy  and they hugged him.  Very Happy  Big Hug

Great story our Tan and I am so glad he was able to go there one last time. That nursing home had no business trying to stop that poor man from going. I am so happy for him and glad he made it.  chuckles 

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:48 am

Yes I so agree our Rich. And more so as it has been said on the news the gentleman has his wits about him, (as proved of course with him taking himself there to Normandy). He is very alert and 'with it' in his life. It must have really upset him greatly when he was told he could not go. 
So, well done to him for deciding to take it upon himself to go there  Very Happy  as of course that meant the world to him.

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:05 am

I am not sure how many Canadian veterans were able to make it to the celebrations in Normandy because if you do the math they could be anywhere from 89 years old into their 90's. I hope some were able to make it.  chuckles 

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:09 am

Yes it would have been wonderful if many could have been taken, sure they would have appreciated that, and being there.

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:33 am

Tan wrote:Yes it would have been wonderful if many could have been taken, sure they would have appreciated that, and being there.

The Canadian government, through veterans affairs arranged to make money and travel plans available to those vets that could not afford the journey which was great. Those men and women deserve everything we can do for them.  chuckles 

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:12 am

That is so lovely of them our Rich, and thoughtful too.  Very Happy

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:06 am

I just happened to google if there was anything mentioned since Mr Bernard Jordan arrived back home again.
How lovely this was to read about. And he will be celebrating his 90th Birthday next week.  Very Happy  

The veteran who escaped carers to go to the 70th anniversary of D-Day in Normandy is to be awarded the freedom of his home city.

Bernard Jordan, 89, is to be rewarded for his 'spirit and determination' after his audacious trip 'captured the imagination of all generations'.

Mr Jordan, a former Royal Navy lieutenant, made headlines after he travelled alone from his care home in Hove, East Sussex, to the commemoration ceremonies in France.

With his medals hidden under his coat, he slipped past carers, took the bus to Brighton station and caught the train to Portsmouth, where he boarded a ferry to Caen, Normandy.
Although he had no accreditation for the main event, he was allowed in and ended up sitting within 100 yards of the Queen and other world leaders at the poignant anniversary.

Brighton and Hove mayor Brian Fitch is recommending that Mr Jordan, who is himself a former mayor of the city, be awarded the freedom of Brighton and Hove - the highest honour the city can bestow.
He will join First World War hero Henry Allingham, the former world’s oldest man, and Olympic 800m gold medallist Steve Ovett in being awarded the city’s freedom.

Mr Fitch said he had invited Mr Jordan to the mayor’s parlour for a meeting to plan the city’s Armistice Day celebrations in November.

'I will be putting it to the council we should honour our heroes like Bernard Jordan who captured our imagination with his fantastic and successful effort in getting to Normandy against all the odds,' he said.

'It’s that spirit and determination that led Britain and its allies to liberate Europe from the tyranny of the Nazis.

'It’s not often you get the opportunity to give the city’s highest honour to someone who has served as a councillor but I feel that it’s really fitting to honour him in this way.'

Last edited by Tan on Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:41 am; edited 1 time in total

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:14 am

Awww good for him our Tan, I am glad he made it there one last time and shame on them that tried to stop him. He was of sound mind and why shouldn't he go if that was his wish. I am happy for him and we share a common cause because we are both Naval Veterans.  chuckles 

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:14 am

So lovely for sure our Rich, and I bet Bernard is thrilled to bits.  Very Happy

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next