Re-enactment of evacuees.

Go down

Re-enactment of evacuees.

Post by Maywalk on Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:38 pm

Forgive me for not calling in sooner but I am having the nurse calling in now to dress hubbys leg since we took him to the hospital last Sunday and he has been on different antibiotics.
Got to wait until tomorrow to see what the district nurse has to say when she takes the bandages off to find out if he has to carry on with the antibiotics.
Its been a gruelling time with him but I have had a super weekend because I believe I told you I was invited to talk to many children from round this area about when I was an evacuee. My neighbour stopped with my hubby while I was gadding off to the re-enactment venue.

It happened on Friday 13th and I took my 91 year old ex Land Army Girl friend with me and I asked her to bring the doll that she dressed as a Land Army Girl. She had NO patterns for it and she even made the hat.
She had SO many folk wanting to take a photo of it and wanting to talk to her of those times.

This is the results of the day.
We had a super day although we missed the train.

This was due to the fact we were having a laugh with the Royalty?????????

I have to say that everyone does try to look the part and I took this picture
below of those taking the part of the King and Queen of that era plus Winston with his cigar but I could not get him all in. Unfortunately I could not get Montgomery because he had wandered off and I was taking photos while I sat on the bench.

Here are some of the children taking part and there must have been well over 500 from different schools in the area including those who suffer with Autism.

You can see the back of Winston and the engine warming up in this one.

My friend and I had SO many coming to us to ask us about those years I did not have time to take many photos and as I said I was sitting on the railway bench when taking the above. Suddenly the main photographer spotted me and came asking me what I was doing because I had my I-pad taking the photos.
He was for the want of a better word ( gobsmacked ) that an old biddy was doing this he asked me if he could take a photo of me. Folks standing round were looking at him gone out as he stood on the railway bench and was pointing his camera over me because he wanted proof that someone my age was doing such a thing and he turned to those watching and said "This lady is more advanced than me because I dont have a clue how to use one of them."
It was then that those taking the part of the King and Queen came to us and we all got involved in the conversation and suddenly realised the train was going without us.
We had to wait another hour but there were many more children on the other train so it was a case of answering many more questions. Altogether it was a great day and we both thoroughly enjoyed it especially being taken home in this Chevrolet. No seat belts and a left hand drive.
I was acting like Lady Docker and giving a wave to all who we passed on the road and it was comical to see the looks on the faces of those who were driving other cars and any pedestrians who waved back. A VERY enjoyable day.
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk

http://www.memorylanehf.oddquine.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Re: Re-enactment of evacuees.

Post by Tan on Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:37 pm

Such a wonderful day for you our Maisie, and your Friend. Really well made the clothes she made for the doll there. 
I can only imagine the atmosphere there for everyone, taking many back many years, and for the children learning so very much, while taking a great part in the day. Sure they were greatly interested in your memories, and won't forget anything at all. 
So much going in to the making of the clothes, down to the finest detail. Amazing everyone looks.  Very Happy 
Thank you for adding these brilliant photo's. I have enjoyed so much seeing them. 

Very kind of your neighbour to look after your hubby. So hope those antibiotics have helped very much, and his leg has healed so well. xx  hug

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Maywalk on Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:45 am

Hi Tan.
Hubby's leg is looking better and I only wish he was better in another direction. It can be VERY wearing for the carer at times but it did me good to get out for a few hours.

Going to put another thread up of the next night at the WW2 do.
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk

http://www.memorylanehf.oddquine.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:07 am

Hello our Maisie, so pleased to hear your hubby's leg is looking better, will he need another course of antibiotics, or did nurse feel it will finish off healing now by itself?.

So pleased you managed to have some time out, would have done you the world of good, and recharged them thar batteries.  Very Happy

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum