Reminiscing.

Go down

Reminiscing.  Empty Reminiscing.

Post by Guest on Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:11 pm

I have spent a fascinating few hours looking back through old newspapers that I have kept for various reasons especially the 1940s because I am getting them together to pass on to a chappie who is re-issuing the Picture Post.
He is over the moon about them and will be coming here straight from work on Friday to collect them.
He is certainly keen because I believe he lives in Staffordshire.
Its helping me reduce a lot of mementoes that I have collected over the years and having a clear out at the same time and at least I know they are going to be cherished.
Here is the magazine below that I received last week.
I believe it will be issued 4 times a year and the next one will be in November.
Strangely enough the it was lads from the 82nd Airborne Division mentioned on the front cover that used to go looking for my mother.
They were stationed in Quorn 2 miles away from Loughborough where we were evacuated to and used to come to one of the well known pubs of that time knowing that my mother would be there to sing all their favourite songs. She had a great voice and they loved her.
Reminiscing.  33u6dck

Back to top Go down

Reminiscing.  Empty Re: Reminiscing.

Post by Guest on Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:03 pm

Maisie, what wonderful memories you have and what a generous heart to give these items to the gentleman to be used in the Post - so many people will be able to read and enjoy and all because of you - well done!

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:12 pm

I so feel the same way as you do our Mara, such a very kind heart you have our Maisie to give those to the gentleman so others can enjoy seeing them. 

I can well imagine the lads who came along to listen to your Mother singing, enjoying every moment, and sure to have remembered her when ever in their life they looked back in mind to those wonderful times.

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:34 am

Many thanks Mara and Tan.
I will be sorry to see them go but as long as they will be treasured by others I dont mind.I had a word with my family and they too agreed that the papers should be given to someone who is interested in that sort of thing and it would be lovely to know they were going to help many with the history behind them.
My lovey d-i-l has said that she already has my teaset that was taken in and out the air-raid shelters plus taken with me when I was evacuated and she said when she had done with it she will pass it on to my granddaughter.
My granddaughter has my first engagement ring. I had to get it removed from my finger when I broke my hand many years ago and its never fitted right since so hubby bought me another one some years later BUT strangely over the years I found that I cant wear either wedding ring or engagement rings because they cause a rash even though they are both 22 and 18 carat gold. Even ruddy necklaces irritate me.   Sulk

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:02 am

So lovely you have shared so much our Maisie, real treasures for your family to keep.
Such a shame you get a rash, I know I read somewhere if a layer of clear nail varnish is added to the inside of a ring it does stop soreness/rashes. But I am wondering how long that would last on it, or of course if it does actually work.

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:57 am

A bit late for it now Tan but I will do my best to wear my wedding and engagement ring at our 65th Wedding Anniversary "do" on the 20th of September.
We got married on the 17th of September but its not the right day for family and friends to be with us so we are having it here on the 20th which is a Saturday.
About 50 guests and family coming.
http://www.thecedarshotel.com/parties.php

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:32 am

So beautiful it looks there our Maisie, so very well decorated, and homely looking.  Very Happy  The garden too looks so nice. Sure you will both love being there, as your family and friends.
It will be so special you wearing your wedding and engagement ring on your special day, even if just for a little while.  hug

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:54 pm

I had a wander through the Cedars Hotel site, Maisie - and gosh, the dining room looks so lovely with it's brick/stone inner walls, etc ... I'll have roast lamb, please!

What a wonderful time all of you are sure to have on the 20th of September and I hope there are lots and lots of photos taken!

Enjoyed reading about how your tea set is being used and will one day go to your Granddaughter ... there are few things are treasured as items used and loved by generations!

You did mention that even necklaces irritate your skin and sadly, about the only metal that never seems to cause irritation is platinum -   but perhaps silver chains may have less or even no reaction ... and then your engagement and wedding ring could be worn around your neck if they stubbornly refused to fit on your fingers? Gentle smile.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum