Everything you think you know about addiction is wrong !!!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Everything you think you know about addiction is wrong !!!!

Post by honeybee on Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:34 am

https://www.ted.com/talks/johann_hari_everything_you_think_you_know_about_addiction_is_wrong#
honeybee
Our Smilie Queen
Our Smilie Queen

Back to top Go down

Re: Everything you think you know about addiction is wrong !!!!

Post by honeybee on Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:05 am

We are there at the moment. So sad.
honeybee
Our Smilie Queen
Our Smilie Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:32 am

I have listened to some at the moment, and will carry on little later. 

So very interesting up to now what he has said. (sure the rest is too) About the bonding that is needed, naturally, in human beings. If they don't have people around them, for the natural bonding, then they will get it elsewhere, like is said, the addiction. Which of course comes in many varied forms. 
Logical in all he has said up to now. 

I feel many youngsters, through their choice, tend to separate themselves from their families. ie: in their rooms, on the internet, playing games, etc, all that is sociable, but not having a one to one as people actually there with them. They are indeed alone. Their choosing of course the way they go, but too young to understand how vital it is in their life to have a varied mix to interact with. 

Goes to show in a way no actual social activity, unknown to many youngsters, is what they turned away in their families, is indeed so vitally needed. They land up 'bonding' in the ways that are mentioned. 

Such a shame many do indeed pull away from their families, as proof what this man is saying is that it is indeed a vital part of their well-being.
Of course it is not just youngsters that get addictions, but if not helped now, then this could carry on through their life.

Tan
TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Joelle on Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:13 am

I will listen to this tonight Honeybee.
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle

http://www.pamspoetry.yolasite.com

Back to top Go down

Post by June on Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:50 am

I have often thought that addictions mark the fact of something missing in your life.  When it's a person that's missing then many will attach themselves to unsuitable companions. Any port in a storm as the saying goes.

Luckily, most of us have close families but for many, through no fault of their own, they never feel that they belong or they were separated from their families at a young age.

Some addictions though, like smoking, fill a need for freedom from stress. The drug appears to help but it soon pulls you in. Nowadays the drugs are more vicious and sometimes young people get drawn in by their peers and it gives a feeling of belonging. All bravado.

For most, this is a phase and it will pass as they grow older and feel more secure in themselves.
June
June
June

Back to top Go down

Post by honeybee on Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:20 am

so true our tanbubs our Joelle our June. What we found Michaela started drugs in a rehab. OK her drinking was horrendous. "Oh she said all my friend drink" I think she was a binge drinker.
She had to be one of the crowd.
Ok well she is in her second rehab. I was talking to someone yesterday and they said no rehab helps. You have to help yourself. So does it mean a after this 3 months she is back in another rehab. I had a box of photos , taken her every move, what a happy child. Oh well many years down the line, she can look
honeybee
Our Smilie Queen
Our Smilie Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by June on Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:35 am

There's not a lot that can be done about it except for them to decide they want to quit.  An incentive can help. Something to aim towards.

It has little bearing on the way they are brought up. If they get among the wrong friends and they are easily led then it can happen to the best of them.

Further down the line I hope you and she will look  back on this as just a bad patch.
June
June
June

Back to top Go down

Post by Nev on Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:30 am

That man has hit the nail firmly on the head I think. I may be on my own, and quite truthfully I do appreciate the solitude. However I also do have some very good friends who are there for me if needed as I am also there for them too.
It is the business of connection, and without that then addiction to something else is going to follow.
Maybe not for me as I am old enough and wise enough, but for youngsters who haven't got that wisdom, a different story.

Nev
~ God Bless you our Nev ~
~ God Bless you our Nev ~

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top