THE FIRST MEAL YOU EVER COOKED

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

THE FIRST MEAL YOU EVER COOKED Empty THE FIRST MEAL YOU EVER COOKED

Post by Joelle on Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:02 am

How many of you remember the very first real meal you ever cooked. Mine was just back from Honeymoon and we invited my parents and my hubby's mum, sister and husband. I cooked a large chicken, vegetables, stuffing, bread sauce and gravy. I followed the recipe books to a t. Set the table, had melon for starters and then came to serve the chicken. All the veg etc on the table and my hubby started to carve but then in front of everyone found that I had left the plastic bag with the innards still inside, oh dear. Fortunately everyone had a laugh but I'll never forget.
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle

http://www.pamspoetry.yolasite.com

Back to top Go down

THE FIRST MEAL YOU EVER COOKED Empty Re: THE FIRST MEAL YOU EVER COOKED

Post by Alan on Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:29 am

I do not actually do not recall the first meal that I ever cooked, but knowing me, it was probably a braai THE FIRST MEAL YOU EVER COOKED 422667

"To know an elephant is to be touched by him - these gentle giants humble mankind. He is nature's greatest Masterpiece." John Donne - Poet
Alan
Alan
Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by honeybee on Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:32 am

I am laughing so much my Joelle THE FIRST MEAL YOU EVER COOKED 202794 ... cos I did excatly the same thing. Cooked the chicken with the giblets in. ... That also being my first meal to impress. To this day I look and see that I buy a chicken and it says the giblets have been removed.
honeybee
honeybee
Our Smilie Queen
Our Smilie Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by June on Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:34 am

Blimey! I can't remember that far back THE FIRST MEAL YOU EVER COOKED Icon_biggrin

I was cooking meals long before I was wed, after my mum went out to work but it was probably sausage and mash as our dad had showed us how to make real creamy mashed potato. Potatoes just have to be in there somewhere THE FIRST MEAL YOU EVER COOKED Icon_cheers
June
June
June
June

Back to top Go down

Post by June on Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:34 am

THE FIRST MEAL YOU EVER COOKED Icon_biggrin I never did the giblet thing but I know someone who did THE FIRST MEAL YOU EVER COOKED 723149
June
June
June
June

Back to top Go down

Post by Joelle on Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:37 am

My mum never let us cook, she let me bake as long as I washed up afterwards but I think food was so precious that she didn't want anything spoiling Laughing Laughing
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle

Back to top Go down

Post by June on Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:39 am

We had to but mum and dad taught us well about safety measures THE FIRST MEAL YOU EVER COOKED 723149
June
June
June
June

Back to top Go down

Post by Joelle on Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:40 am

Very wise mum and dadJune. I always let my daughters cook and bake when they wanted to and by the time they married they were both good cooks. Both my sons can cook too.
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:53 am

What a good laugh you had about it Joelle.

I honestly cannot remember the first meal I ever cooked - it was so long ago. We did cooking in school and I had cooked a great variety of different things in "Domestic Science"

I remember staying with a school friend when her parents went away. We were thirteen and fourteen and had to cook for ourselves for a week.

Later on I lived with my grandparents and when they went away I had a friend to stay with me. We were both about fifteen and cooked all our own meals.

So I was 'broken in' gradually.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:44 pm

Ooooo I bet you took that giblet bag out first everytime from then Joelle!..So easily done though!.. THE FIRST MEAL YOU EVER COOKED Icon_biggrin

The first meal that I ever made was Steak and Kidney Pie, mash and carrots!..

I fried the onions and the steak as I remembered my mum did and it all browned nicely, then I transferred it after it had cooled to the pastry dish, popped the pastry lid on and in the oven it went!..
I wasn't sure how long to cook it for, but I remember hearing that once the strong smell of the food could be smelt then it was ready!.
At that time I had put the potatoes on to boil and veg, feeling very proud of myself I might add!...
Anyway, all was cooked and I sliced the pie, mashed the potatoes and drained the veg, the plates were filled and voila, time to tuck in!... THE FIRST MEAL YOU EVER COOKED Icon_biggrin

THEN!... THE FIRST MEAL YOU EVER COOKED Icon_eek ...The meat went into the mouths and we all chewed and chewed and chewed, blimey it was as tough as old boots and would have made fantastic soles on shoes, so I could see everyone was struggling but being polite they were, and I then tried the mash and the veg but they tasted not how I was used to, then it dawned, no salt!... THE FIRST MEAL YOU EVER COOKED Icon_rolleyes
I know it is healthy these days to cook with less salt, but then everyone was used to salt being added more in with the boiling!.
So that meal was a complete flop, THE FIRST MEAL YOU EVER COOKED Icon_sad but at least we all had a laugh and the Swiss Roll and Custard went down a treat!... THE FIRST MEAL YOU EVER COOKED Icon_biggrin

THE FIRST MEAL YOU EVER COOKED LF6Thi1 THE FIRST MEAL YOU EVER COOKED NIxv1QOTHE FIRST MEAL YOU EVER COOKED E2ONOPTTHE FIRST MEAL YOU EVER COOKED GtSfErM    THE FIRST MEAL YOU EVER COOKED ORQ4u1rTHE FIRST MEAL YOU EVER COOKED Smilie_xmas_568  bow
Tan
Tan
TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Alan on Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:18 pm

THE FIRST MEAL YOU EVER COOKED 202794

"To know an elephant is to be touched by him - these gentle giants humble mankind. He is nature's greatest Masterpiece." John Donne - Poet
Alan
Alan
Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:31 am

THE FIRST MEAL YOU EVER COOKED Icon_biggrin Are you laughing at likkle moi?. THE FIRST MEAL YOU EVER COOKED Bom ...BOOOOOOOSH!..hehe.. THE FIRST MEAL YOU EVER COOKED 448901

The first cakes I made in Domestic Science were Rock Buns, I proudly took them home in my wicker cookery basket and dad was looking forward to them as he knew with what I had to take in the morning for the baking what I was going to make, his mouth was watering and then CRUNCH, THE FIRST MEAL YOU EVER COOKED Affraid he asked if I had taken Cement instead if Flour, THE FIRST MEAL YOU EVER COOKED Icon_rolleyes hehe!....Ooooo, I was never allowed to forget that!... THE FIRST MEAL YOU EVER COOKED 927938

THE FIRST MEAL YOU EVER COOKED LF6Thi1 THE FIRST MEAL YOU EVER COOKED NIxv1QOTHE FIRST MEAL YOU EVER COOKED E2ONOPTTHE FIRST MEAL YOU EVER COOKED GtSfErM    THE FIRST MEAL YOU EVER COOKED ORQ4u1rTHE FIRST MEAL YOU EVER COOKED Smilie_xmas_568  bow
Tan
Tan
TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Alan on Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:26 am

Well, Tan, you did say that you would make ROCK buns THE FIRST MEAL YOU EVER COOKED 202794

Alan
Alan
Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by honeybee on Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:32 am

I got a Microwave .I was so excited as no pots. I made lasange. Now talk about a brick.... It was so hard we could not even attempt to eat it.
honeybee
honeybee
Our Smilie Queen
Our Smilie Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:46 am

Yep!..I was true to my word there Bwana wasn't I.... THE FIRST MEAL YOU EVER COOKED Bom

Awww, maybe you could have used it as a 'Door Stop' Honeybee!. THE FIRST MEAL YOU EVER COOKED Icon_biggrin

I like scrambled eggs cooked in the microwave they come out so lovely and fluffy!..

Tan
Tan
TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Nev on Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:12 am

Like most men, I very rarely cook for a gathering, but the odd time I have I have stuck to the old KISS principal (Keep It Simple Stupid)
It helps also that like many I was invited to join mum in preparation of things from an early age so there really never was a first time.
However the last and probably the most famous time was about two years ago, I was with several others who had decided to eat in down at the railway rather than go out to a restaurant or pub meal as is usual on Saturday evenings.
The facilities are quite splendid down there in the members accommodation block, with two complete electric cookers, a range of pots, pans, cutlery, and everything needed to serve on to and with, along with a large double drainer sink for washing up afterwards.
I announced I would be doing a simple favourite of mine with the secret ingredient.
I earlier went out and bought potatoes, a couple of pounds of good quality minced steak, onions, carrots, peas, and I think cauliflower. I had already made sure there was some of my secret ingredient available too.
The veg is all boiled, potatoes, peeled, cut down and boiled also.
The large frying pan, filled with a small amount of water and the onions first with the mince added once the onions are part cooked. The mince and onion is cooked until still enough liquid gravy content to be able to pour over the potatoes once put out on the plates, with a serving of veg to each plate as well.
The secret ingredient? Ah, that is stirred into the mince and onion as it is cooking in the pan. The flavour it imparts to the mix is superb.

Nev
~ God Bless you our Nev ~

Back to top Go down

Post by Alan on Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:46 am

Talking of eggs and microwaves THE FIRST MEAL YOU EVER COOKED 202794

Our tea lady at work, one morning, decided that she would boil an egg in the Microwave. I, thankfully, was away at the time, and this is all hearsay, but apparently it exploded with such a force that it pushed the walls out on the Microwave, and made a big enough bang to make most in the building think that there had been a bomb. Naturally, much panic ensued for a while, until the tea lady and one of the consultants emerged from the kitchen looking like they had just seen a ghost. THE FIRST MEAL YOU EVER COOKED 422667

Alan
Alan
Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:26 am

Erm, I am waitinnnnng Nev!..[strum, strum] What 'is' the secret ingredient?. THE FIRST MEAL YOU EVER COOKED Icon_biggrin .A little bit of cheeky 'Nev Spice?' hehe..THE FIRST MEAL YOU EVER COOKED Icon_lol
Mmmm, your meal sounded lovely and I bet they all tucked in with gusto!..

Oooo I have heard about similar Bwana and an almighty bang it was too!. THE FIRST MEAL YOU EVER COOKED Affraid .I remember warming a drink up in the microwave and there were sparks instantly, I turned it off and it was due to the little gold metal bit around the top of the cup, so I never did that again!.. THE FIRST MEAL YOU EVER COOKED Icon_rolleyes

I really liked baking though and that was my first ever job and I learned a lot too, but then one day 'TING' I felt I didn't fancy staying in a bakery forever so out I went and starting with my new found career, the baking though I can fall back on and such fun too, making new concoctions and experimenting too!.. THE FIRST MEAL YOU EVER COOKED Bom
Only thingy is though that by adding a bit of this and a bit of that and a splash of this, it turns out deliciousimo but I can't dulpicate that flavour again, as I forgot how much of this and that I added, hehe, but the meal was memorable!.. THE FIRST MEAL YOU EVER COOKED Icon_biggrin THE FIRST MEAL YOU EVER COOKED Icon_razz

Tan
Tan
TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Alan on Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:35 am

Oh Tan, that is my problem too. Whenever I make a potjie or a stew, or most meals for that matter, I also play with various ingredients, and never make notes or recipes, so I am never able to make it the same again.

Alan
Alan
Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:39 am

It's all the fun of it though and then to see all the plates get empty makes it all worth while!.. THE FIRST MEAL YOU EVER COOKED Icon_biggrin

My first ever domestic science lesson was to make Toast and Coffee.
We had to take one of those Nescafe Sachets, some bread and butter too, the toast was lovely of course and I have made that before but the coffee THE FIRST MEAL YOU EVER COOKED Icon_eek Blimey it was so strong in flavour as our teacher said for the whole sachet to go in, you could have stood the spoon up in it!.... THE FIRST MEAL YOU EVER COOKED Icon_rolleyes

Tan
Tan
TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Nev on Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:51 am

Secret ingredient? well it is secret isn't it!
I have to keep that one to myself you know or it wouldn't be secret would it eh?
Mind you, when I announced it would have this secret ingredient folk were a bit sceptical and some even thought it might be something rude. You should have seen the faces when I said here it is, the secret ingredient is now going in, as I gave the bottle a good shake, then poured in two goodly sized dollops of----

THE FIRST MEAL YOU EVER COOKED Hp-sau10

Nev

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:57 am

WOW!..Yes that is a magic secret ingredient and I like that especially in stews and casseroles!..
Have you tried the Lancashire Sauce?..

Tan
Tan
TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:00 am

It says on the bottle that I just happen to have gone to the kitchen for!..........'Grandma Entwistle's & Genuine and Original' Lancashire Sauce!..
It is a shake on Condiment which can be added to soups or casseroles, flavour stocks, or use it as a marinade, it is lovely!..
It can also be shaken onto cheese on toast, fish and chips,baked beans, pasta, salads, infact anything really, so it says on the bottle any road!.hehe..

..................................................THE FIRST MEAL YOU EVER COOKED Thumbnail.aspx?q=197145733179&id=64c641b060f4d2e319e6eea1bf77cae0&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.lunevalleyhampers.com%2fLancashire%2520Sauce...................................

Tan
Tan
TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:05 am

Just to say the ingredients if anyone would like to buy it to try!..

Coriander, Cumin, Garlic, Black Pepper, Mustard Powder!..

It isn't a 'Blow your head off sauce', THE FIRST MEAL YOU EVER COOKED Icon_biggrin it is lovely and adds that warmth too in the winter casseroles!..Mmmm, I might make something today that I can add it to!..

Tan
Tan
TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Nev on Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:09 am

I will look out for that as I didn't know it existed till now, but the garlic is a bit off putting and certainly wouldn't have been in an old time recipe. Lancashire folk used to believe garlic was poisonous you know.

Nev

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum