Looking back at clothes styles and the past!..

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Looking back at clothes styles and the past!.. Empty Looking back at clothes styles and the past!..

Post by Tan on Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:57 pm

What can you remember your mum and dad wearing, or even yourself in your childhood/youth?.
And any memories from your past about anything!..

I remember my Mum wearing a coat with huge buttons and also cardigans as well, my dad always wore a shirt and tie, with a tie clip and huge collars!..
The Winkle picker shoes, how did feet get in them, hehe..
Also the drain pipe trousers and Jeans!.
Mini-Midi and Maxi skirts and hotpants too, not that I was ever brave enough to wear them.

Even remembering the size of the purses to be able to hold all the pre-decimal coins, they were so large especially the pennies!.

Last edited by Tanooma on Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:02 pm; edited 2 times in total

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Looking back at clothes styles and the past!.. Empty Re: Looking back at clothes styles and the past!..

Post by Joelle on Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:32 pm

My mum usually had a warm skirt and jumper in winter and I remember her being proud of a military style coat, my dad I remember in overalls during the week as he was a joiner, bt weekends and when we went out it was grey flannels and a navy blazer and tie and shirt if it was important or open neck shirt if casual, and wooley cardigan if it was cold. He had a raincoat but seldom wore an over coat that I can remember.
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle

http://www.pamspoetry.yolasite.com

Back to top Go down

Looking back at clothes styles and the past!.. Empty Re: Looking back at clothes styles and the past!..

Post by June on Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:37 am

I remember my mum wearing cotton dresses in summer and thick skirts and blouses in winter with a warm, single-breasted coat...with large buttons Very Happy .....in winter and always a hat or a headscarf, except when it was very warm.

My dad always wore a suit then as hw worked in a shop at that time. Later, he wore collarless shirts. When dressed up, the collars attached with a stud.

He always wore a trench-coat type mack and a trilby hat. He was only in his twenties then but was a little carbon-copy of his dad.

The one thing about today is that there is much more distinction between the generations now than then.
June
June
June
June

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:50 am

My mother wore summer flowery dresses and always court shoes. I don't think she ever wore sandals. In the colder weather, a skirt, blouse and cardigan. Sometimes she would wear a dress made of thicker material. Her coats were single breasted and she always wore a hat and gloves. She would never wear a head scarf even though she bought them for my sister and me. Of course, stockings and a corset to hold them up.

My dad always wore a three piece suit with a gold watch and chain from one waistcoat pocket to the other. He never wore collar attached shirts, but always the collarless type with the collar attached at the back with a stud. He would never dream of going out (not even into the garden) without the collar on his shirt. Naturally he always wore a tie with it. He wore a homberg hat. He was a commercial traveller so had to look smart at all times. He seldom wore an overcoat as he travelled by car. Also I know he wore long underpants and a vest with sleeves in it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Joelle on Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:30 am

I remember my mum always wore a full length apron in the mornings and after dinner (we had dinner at lunch time) she always got washed and changed her clothes, she did that with us children too always washed and changed after dinner. My mums blouses were always quite fancy and she used to go to a shop to buy special buttons for any she made herself. She made a lot of our dresses with knickers to match too.
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:50 am

My mother used to make dresses for my sister and me too Joelle

We had knickers to match until we started school, then we both thought we were 'too big' for matching knickers.

I remember she made coats for us too and they looked good enough to have come from a shop.

She wasn't much good at knitting though but we wore hand-knitted jumpers made by other people.

Back to top Go down

Post by Joelle on Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:58 am

Same here Poppy, my mum only started knitting when I had my babies, but she was great on her treadle sewing machine. She made coats when we were small but as we grew bigger our next door neighbour who was a tailoress always made them.Mum would buy the material etc. and of course paid our neighbour who had quite a good little busness going especially during the war.
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:01 pm

Such lovely memories, keep them coming!..

I too remember my Great Grandma changing in the evening and also she would take all the ornaments off the shelves at night and lay them on the couch, then in the morning she would dust and put them all back!...

She used to wear a long apron and I remember really thick stockings too, so thick they would roll down, hehe, bless her!.

I remember the boys at school too when they got to a certain age and they were allowed to wear long trousers, it was another step up in the getting older stakes!..

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Joelle on Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:59 pm

Yes I remember my brother getting his forst long trousers, he was so proud. A bit like when I was first allowed to wear make up (just a little) and wear high heels.
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:13 pm

I remember my first attempt at putting makeup on, oooo, hehe, I looked like coco the clown, hehe!..

I was going to the skating rink with my friend and I tried to sneak past dad, but he had beady eyes at the back too, hehe, all he said was 'And where do you think you are going off to with that on your face?'..Erm, I marched back upstairs again!..hehe... Looking back at clothes styles and the past!.. Icon_redface Looking back at clothes styles and the past!.. 930738

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Joelle on Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:34 pm

I was so shy even when I started work I used to put some powder and lipstick on to get there and before I went in I wiped it off Laughing
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:39 pm

Yes I did similar Joelle, hehe...

I remember rolling my uniform skirt around and around so that my skirt was shorter, then I had a bulge of it around my tum, hehe..
It wasn't for any other reason than to have my skirt the same length as the girls at school as I think I invented the 'Midi' skirt!..
Same as Jumpers and the Cardigans, the arms were so long!..
But luckily one day Grandma noticed and she sewed a good hem and I felt human again!..hehe

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Joelle on Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:50 pm

We do such funny things when we are young Laughing Glad your Gran noticed and altered things for you.
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:56 pm

Yes Grandma was a hawk eye, not much passed her and I know at times she didn't want to go over mum, but she would say it all in a nice way that mum didn't know that Grandma was helping more than my mum thought she was!...

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:16 pm

I started to make my own dresses as a teenager and always knitted my own jumpers.

Even the smallest size dresses in shops were too big for me and I didn't want to wear children's clothes. I used to envy my friends who could wear high heels as I never could. I did try but always fell over (often in the street.). After having been paralyzed my ankles were too weak to balance properly, so I had to be content with 'flatties' even though I could do with being a few inches taller. I can still only wear 'flatties' but it doesn't bother me as it did when I was younger.

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Nemo on Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:58 pm

I can remember Mum always wore skirts a blouse and a cardigan and would put a tissue up her sleeve but whatever the emergency out and about a safety pin rubber band or what ever seemed to appear form he hand in no time and in winter a what i thought a heavy warm coat and always a head scarf , Dad always dresses much older than he was he had a felt flat cap and always wore a suit to work and even when home would have a shirt and tie on and a cardigan and he had the most awful mac he wore it was a thin material in a grey colour with a light grey shiny lining and seemed to hang and was so shapeless and horrible he also had a very nice sheepskin coat ,
My Mu and Gran used to make most of my Sisters clothes i had hand me downs from my brother or we had jumble sales then and gran always seemed to find things there for me being tall i couldnt get a school uniform and they were to expensive so i remember going to a charity shop and had a suit that lasted me years at school i sort of grew into it i think, im a firm believer in looking in charity shops Looking back at clothes styles and the past!.. Icon_biggrin
Captain Nemo
Captain Nemo
~ God Bless you our Captain Nemo ~

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:02 pm

Yes Nemo. I like to rummage around charity shops, but there were none about when I was a child. The war was on and clothes were on coupons so we all wore pass-ons, sometimes from family and sometimes from older children.

Don't know exactly when charity shops first opened but I can only think of them during the past 25 years or so.

Back to top Go down

Post by June on Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:13 pm

Ah! Whatever happened to aprons? Very Happy Everybody wore aprons didn't they? Mostly the wrap-around ones.

I remember making two waist aprons at school and I still have them but never wear one now.

And hankies up the sleeve. I still do that sometimes Smile

I made a lot of my own clothes too Poppy as my mother made most of hers so she taught me and later I went to evening classes as well.

Made all my own maternity outfits. Being good at needlework runs in our family as even my dad was an expert at embroidery, despite being almost blind Nodding Yes
June
June
June
June

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:35 pm

That would have saved a lot of money making your own clothes and maybe saving the clothes vouchers for the clothes that couldn't be made!..
I remember mum with the hankies up her sleeve and having the safety pin close at hand, hehe, to hold her drawers up and mine if the elastic pinged!.

My favourite outfit was a light green dress, 2 little white ribbons either side at the front waist, little white flowers, some ankle socks with a little light green trim, white sandals and pigtails in my hair, and a hairgrip at the front as I was growing out my fringe!. Looking back at clothes styles and the past!.. Bom

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Nemo on Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:45 pm

I remember hair grips and hair bands but you sound a lovely little girl and liked to dress nicely , i seemed to wear what i could get hold of Looking back at clothes styles and the past!.. Icon_biggrin you get some one like Tom Cruise he could wear the Asda £25 suit and still look good, me i could go to seville row and have a £5000 suit and still look a scruff Looking back at clothes styles and the past!.. Icon_biggrin
I think the charity shops took over from when i was little Church fetes and jumble sales these were take over when car boots started but i think Oxfam was the first to have shops they really are a very good place to get things ,
I suppose if you are good at sewing anything you got that was to big you could reduce restyle or make something else from it sounds a very good skill to have and not at all wasteful , so well done to you all , Looking back at clothes styles and the past!.. Icon_biggrin
Captain Nemo
Captain Nemo

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:46 pm

Awwww, Bless!...You are not a scruff!.... Looking back at clothes styles and the past!.. 448901

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Nemo on Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:47 pm

I can remember my Sister with these plastic pants that had to go over a terry nappy and the clothes line full of nappies and how Mum dried them all in Winter i dont know we had the one fire and i can remember a wooden clothes horse about so maybe thats how they were dried,
Captain Nemo
Captain Nemo

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:49 pm

I know I used to go to jumble sales and Grandma would buy all the hand knitted Jumpers and Cardigans that she could and then I helped her at home to unpick them and she would then knit different cardigans etc!..
She taught me to knit and I would use all the spare small balls of wool and make scarfs for me and my dolls!. Looking back at clothes styles and the past!.. Bom

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:52 pm

At my cousins house they had a pulley thing that was on the ceiling and all the clothes went on that and then pulled up out of the way, and they dried well too as heat rises and it was in the kitchen so the heat from the oven etc helped to dry them!..

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by June on Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:16 pm

Tanooma wrote:At my cousins house they had a pulley thing that was on the ceiling and all the clothes went on that and then pulled up out of the way, and they dried well too as heat rises and it was in the kitchen so the heat from the oven etc helped to dry them!..

I still have one of those Very Happy Tan and I use it every day for clothes. I brought this one from my dad's house. it's an original not one of the smaller modern ones that they hang pans on.

Also you may remember having to wear clothes a size too big and being told...you'll grow into it Very Happy
June
June
June
June

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum