Looking back at clothes styles and the past!..

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Looking back at clothes styles and the past!.. - Page 2 Empty Re: Looking back at clothes styles and the past!..

Post by Alan on Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:23 pm

My mother used to wear summer cotton dresses all year, even in winter, because it was so warm in Rhodesia, where we lived (now Zimbabwe and Zambia). They were always floral as well, and she always had a handkerchief in her sleeve. If she was going out, to town or anywhere else, she always wore a hat. The only time that my mother ever wore a skirt and blouse was to play golf.

I cannot ever remember seeing my father without a tie, and seldom without a jacket. He was an accountant for a large Gold Mining company called Angro American, you may have heard of it. The only time that I can remember my father wearing casual clothes, and seldom shorts, was when we were on holiday, unless he was in his swimming costume.

I was a scruffy little kid, who seldom dressed smartly. I don't even think that I looked smart in my school clothes until I went to boarding school, when we had no choice but to dress smartly or get into plenty of trouble. That was when I learnt to iron, but have since forgotten how to.

"To know an elephant is to be touched by him - these gentle giants humble mankind. He is nature's greatest Masterpiece." John Donne - Poet
Alan
Alan
Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Looking back at clothes styles and the past!.. - Page 2 Empty Re: Looking back at clothes styles and the past!..

Post by Nev on Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:31 pm

My dad was the foreman of a medium sized painting and decorating firm in my younger days, and remember going round to his boss' house when on school holidays. During that time he was always well dressed, with trousers, shirt, tie and trilby hat as he had to go to the various jobs and make sure everything was going right, but needed to look good in front of the customer. However he always had a full set of painters overalls with him which if needed, would be put on and then off he would go painting or hanging wallpaper to help speed the job on. Mother wore whatever was right for the weather, and mainly skirts, though trousers sometimes at leisure activities such as walking. But had a wide range of things, all made by herself, either stitched materials or knitted stuff and sometimes both, such as a skirt with a jumper or pullover. The only time clothes were bought complete were when they were for special purposes, such as suits, or in my case school uniforms.

Nev
~ God Bless you our Nev ~
~ God Bless you our Nev ~

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:08 pm

Yes I have seen those drying pully lines June in Argos they are nothing like the original that you have as I can remember what they looked like and if at times I was naughty, I was threatened that I would be up there with two pegs on my ears, Looking back at clothes styles and the past!.. - Page 2 Icon_pale hehe, it looked high up there so I was good!..hehe.. Looking back at clothes styles and the past!.. - Page 2 Icon_biggrin

Awwww, our little scruff learned to iron, hehe, bless, you would have looked a typical little boy I bet Bwana!..So cute too as you still have a cheeky smile!..Butter wouldn't melt too!.. Looking back at clothes styles and the past!.. - Page 2 Icon_biggrin

One thing Nev like your mum and lots of ladies in that time is that they would always be dressed differently as they made their own clothes and would add their preferred style although in keeping with the style of that time!...
My Grandma made several of my dresses and very nice too, plus if she had some material left and she would only have needed a little, but she took the time and trouble, she would make a matching little dress for my doll!.. Looking back at clothes styles and the past!.. - Page 2 Bom

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by June on Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:16 am

My mum was like that. After making dresses she would make doll's outfits from the scraps for my two girls and sew while she was babysitting.
June
June
June
June

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:29 am

Awww, our mums and grandma's were lovely as we are here to children and grand/great grand children!..

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum