Can I take you back in time?

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Can I take you back in time? - Page 2 Empty Re: Can I take you back in time?

Post by Tan on Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:16 pm

Aw, I bet you were both excited when the food parcels were opened and a lovely surprise to see those two bears inside for you both!..

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by skip on Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:52 pm

Can I take you back in time? - Page 2 Ranger10 Well I don't remember anything bout the WW11----but do remember that my father joined the Marines At age 36---so I'm told----

Rations---I don't know bout that part--I was borne in 1943

However I remember that it cost 1¢ to get into the city swiming pool & I think 5¢ to ride the buss or trolly-----When I was 4-5 year old-----

Also remember sent to the front stoop with a piece of bread & butter at grandmaws---4 year old----

Oooo that be a long time ago Can I take you back in time? - Page 2 Vuvuen10
skip
skip
~ God Bless you our Skip ~

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:54 pm

Aw, lovely memories though for you Skip I'm sure!. Very Happy

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:55 pm

I remember sitting on a potty in a long passageway upstairs and looking up to the twinkling of what I assume were gas lamp lights!.. Can I take you back in time? - Page 2 391610

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Nemo on Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:27 pm

Funny how we have little fragments in our memories that can really drive you to distraction trying to recall more ,
After the war in Kilarn road in London Dads family were the only household not to have lost children , so many were killed but my Grandad who was in WW1 and among other place3s was sent to Gallipoli of the Turkish coast it was such a terrible slaughter of the allied forces the Turkish government to this day has the whole peninsula closed of as a War cemetery but he joined the LDV local defense volunteers the fore runner to the home guard he was to old to join the regulars but he was one of the men during the Blitz was upon the dome of St Paul's Cathedral in London on fire watch i cant imagine how scary that would be to be so high on a target in a bombing raid but the view must have been both amazing and terrifying but his job with others was to throw sand and put out the phosphorus incendiaries the bombers dropped to start fires so they were scurrying over the dome damping out the fires while the air raid was going on there is a walkway around the outside of the dome , My Dad told me as my Grandad never spoke about the first world war the only thing i recall he said about Gallipoli was the ocean was boiling in red foam and you couldnt walk ashore on the sandy bottom as the bodies were so thick and they were landed into that place, the Turkish forces were well dug in and ready with a very clear view and high on the cliffs,
Captain Nemo
Captain Nemo
~ God Bless you our Captain Nemo ~

Back to top Go down

Post by Nev on Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:05 pm

Great stories here especially about what dad did.
Mine first of all joined the local auxiliary fire service in the hope he would get into the main service to escape being enlisted, but that wasn't to be, he did land reasonably lucky though and eventually finished up in the airforce.
Once basic training had been done he was first sent to a base up in Scotland. It while there that he twigged on to the idea of volunteering for any extra training being offered so as to be at a training camp or school for as much time as possible thus avoiding being sent abroad. A canny fellow my dad as some of that training saved his life on a few occasions. He became first a musketry instructor which gained him corporal stripes. As he was already a painter and decorator by trade, it was natural to become a camouflage expert, then also he did training in explosive demolition, this was to destroy anything to avoid it getting into enemy hands.
he did the camouflage and musketry while still in Scotland, and it became known to all that he was a dab hand at making things invisible from the air, in fact he was so good at painting the roofs of some of the base buildings, a new pilot nearly landed on one, thinking it was a field.
The funny story of that, was one hot day, with heat haze shimmering on the runway tarmac, something the locals hadn't seen before, as no roads were covered in that area then. A local farmer approached my dad and said, "Walter, you did a good job with the camouflage there, making the runway look like a lake". Dad had to explain what heat haze was, and then take the farmer to a higher point so the tarmac showed up without the haze.
Maybe twelve months later he first finished up in Africa where he caught dysentery, an awful disease which left him with stomach problems for the rest of his life, however after recovery he then got sent to Italy, just after Mussolini capitulated. Two major incidents he told of happened there, because of the explosive demolition qualifications it was his job to install destructive charges on a mobile radar unit, he described it as being similar to a furniture removals van. Once the charges were placed and set, it was also his job to accompany the driver as the unit was moved over the hills in northern Italy to its next base. He was there to make sure the charges were fired if there was a threat of being captured. Once there the charges had to be removed again and taken back for the next unit to be moved, there were three of them altogether, and it involved going up one of those steep zig zag mountain roads, over the top and down into the valley to the new base for them.
The first two moves went without a hitch, it was on the last and final journey as they were going along a straight bit to the next reverse bend and about three quarters way up the hillside, some thousand and odd foot up, when a German bomber went down the valley below them. The tail gunner spotted them and opened fire. My dad and the driver jumped out of the cab, ran down the road a short distance and sheltered in the ditch at the side of the road. The bomber came back and this time it was the top turret gunner who opened fire and was a lot more accurate. My dad was praying that the explosive charges didn't get hit by one of the bullets. Fortunately his prayers were answered, but there was a line of holes going in at the side and exiting through the roof of the van, narrowly missing both the explosive demolition charges, and also all the expensive radar equipment. Once it was safe to move and the bomber had gone, they checked everything was OK and carried on to the new base, but didn't half have to write a long report about what had happened and everything about the incident.
The other major thing was when Vesuvius decided to go pop, being in Naples at the time he was sent up the volcano slopes to a village about half way up, this village was situated and built in a gully or small valley half way up Vesuvius, the Lava from the eruption naturally followed this down the sides of the volcano and was threatening the village and its people. Dad was hammering on doors at the end of one street to awake the occupants with red hot liquid lava flowing in at the other end, burning everything in its path.
My dad said, he had been bombed on, shot at, and just about anything else the enemy could throw at him at various times, but that was the only time he was really scared.
Some time just after my mother died, my dad and myself went to Italy, mainly to see that area where he was posted to and we stayed in Sorrento, on the other side of Naples bay. Naturally we visited Pompey and also Herculanium, the two villages destroyed and buried during Roman times by Vesuvius, plus of course a trip round Naples and the old big office block that had been commandeered and where he served while in Naples.
The next obvious place was a trip up the sides of Vesuvius to the crater at the top, which is still slightly smoking and steaming even now. On the way up, dad pointed out where that village had been, all that can be seen now is the church steeple poking up out of the long since cooled and set old lava.

Nev
~ God Bless you our Nev ~
~ God Bless you our Nev ~

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:29 pm

Such memories too for you there Nev and Captain, from all you were told too and when I think about all what so many went through, the sights, the sounds etc, how did they finally get back to normality after the war, all that what they had come through it has as we all know stayed with them for all time and for their families too when they were told all about those times at War!.

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by hez on Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:40 pm

Good evening all, late again. very interesting reading about what your fathers did in the war,my Dad was in the fire brigade stationed at Blackburn,they were sent all over lancashire were needed,I do recall my mother telling us when we were very young about the time he was in a burning building in Liverpool which collapsed on top of the men who were inside,fotunately they were all rescued but he and 2 or 3 of the men were in hospital for about 5 weeks,I do remember his uniform and axe hanging in the cupboard under the stairs.
hez
hez
God Bless you our Hezzy
God Bless you our Hezzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:43 pm

Good Evening Hezzy, so pleased that your dad was rescued that day he must have been so very grateful to the men that went in there to rescue them all, like he too would in his Job have rescued many people as well!..

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Nemo on Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:58 pm

Very interesting Nev some real experiences there im fortunate to have a lot of Dads photographs and we talked a lot so will recount many if its of interest and the photographs are wonderful, while an artificer in the army if the gun didnt go off the pit was cleared and a short wait was taken in case the shell was a hang fire or the fuse was faulty and could go off any moment , but on the gun site it was his responsibility to deal with them and alone would have to open the breach and remove the shell not knowing if it could go off but then climb out and walk it to a safe distance and place it in a sand bag pit , he said it was a few hundred yards and a terrifying walk , and everyone that didnt go off he had to do this with and quite often the gun would suddenly fire of its own accord when the fuse caught up, it would take a lot of nerve to handle that , but had it gone off when he was carrying it he wouldnt have known but its the sort of thing would come back and haunt your dreams ,
but in the army he went to so many countries mainly the far east during the war and Burma, but then after the war he went and joined the RAF and went to so many places and saw so much of course then the war was over and Britain had its empire ,
Captain Nemo
Captain Nemo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:38 am

I can remember way back before the war started...I used to live at Stratford on Avon. I was out with my mother and older sister. Mum had us both in a push chair and it started to rain very suddenly and heavily. It was so hard that it was hurting my sister and me. We were both crying, the rain was so heavy that we could hardly see - a cloudburst. I desperation my Mum lifted up her skirt and pulled the two of us underneath it for protection. We were both very small. I was probably two and my sister three.

A policeman was on point duty and I was told that he struggled over to us and put his arms around the three of us.

When we arrived back home, the river Avon had burst its banks and water was running in the back door, right through the house and out the front door.

I have a lot of memories from a very young age.

Back to top Go down

Post by nordog on Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:07 am

I been readig these memmores for a full hour now that I have finished I must di some work. My dads story will e very short and my step farther is not much longer. So give you some idea of what 175 plus women did to help during the war from 1940 to 45.
nordog
nordog
Nordog
Nordog

Back to top Go down

Post by honeybee on Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:36 am

such lovely memories Can I take you back in time? - Page 2 791620 read every word of all the chats
honeybee
honeybee
Our Smilie Queen
Our Smilie Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:40 am

This is so very interesting to read everyone's memories and of their experiences too as a child!..
I remember my dad buying a Motor Bike and Sidecar, and me being in the sidecar with mum, I loved it but not mum so we didn't go out in it too much!..
I remember ladies coats having huge buttons and when my mum or grandma picked me up I would hold two buttons and make music by clicking them both together!.

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by skip on Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:15 pm

It's fallin a flood here-----so I was surfin the web------came across this photo---so thought to post it===

Can I take you back in time? - Page 2 Ration_1773172c 'The Second World War and the concept of rationing is something we need to seriously consider if we are to address the scale of the problem we face' Photo: GETTY
skip
skip

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:27 pm

Surfin' the web!... Very Happy

My mum's coat was like that customer there is wearing, and there were huge buttons on it!.

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Can I take you back in time? - Page 2 Empty Back in time

Post by Guest on Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:53 am

I well remember going to our little Co-op with empty jam jars to get the 1d and still remember my Mum's "divi" number - 22387 -. I also remember sweets being on ration and not being able to have comics, I was 5 when the war ended, but of course not rationing, when sweets came off ration there was such a demand they had to go back on again.

Jadel

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:28 am

I can well imagine the rush for sweets, such a shame though they once again were rationed!..

I remember some relatives saying about Co-op stamps, and also Greenshield stamps, not too sure how they got the Greenshield ones though!.

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:31 am

Shops participated Tan. You earned Green Shield Stamps with your purchases.

They were very popular around the time you were born. When stamp books were full , they could be exchanged for a variety of things from a book. Some towns even had a Green Shield Shop - something like an Argos shop. You could take your books of stamps in and collect your gifts rather than sending for them by mail.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:09 am

That's good then Poppy, sounds similar to the 'Points Card' that can be got when shopping at Boots the Chemist I have one and the points soon do mount up.
I know that WH Smiths did that but they have stopped that now!.

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:35 am

Most supermarkets do a points system too, don't they?
Periodically they send out vouchers to a certain value and deduct it from your points total.

They are all incentive ideas. I get points with all sales at Boots.
All these systems are points added with purchases, but Green Shield actually handed out stamps and you had to stick them into books.

Last edited by Poppy on Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:57 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:39 am

They really do give an incentive for customers to shop at their shops!.
I haven't heard Asda doing it but I do shop on-line so maybe that doesn't fall the same as if say I went into the store to shop!.

I used to shop a lot at Superdrugs' but I stopped that as Boots stock more or less the same items and like I mentioned I do have a 'Boot's Points Card.

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:59 am

If you shop at Bon Marché, you can get a discount on purchases if you have a card.

That is a better idea than Points, I think.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:08 am

Yes that sounds even better doesn't it and I am sure many will shop there not just as they like their clothes but to know they get an instant saving!..

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Nemo on Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:46 am

Tanooma at one time you got the Green shield stamps at most shope and garages and had these books you filled with them and when you had say 10 full books you could send off or go to the Green shield shop and get a gift i can remember there was a catalogue as well of gifts and you could even have a car a Ford Cortina in bright yellow i remember but how you would save the thousands of books i dont know ,also many cigarette companies again No 6 and Embassy used to give little tokens and you saved them up and got a gift the more you smoled the more gifts , but now with the loyalty cards they are a bit different sure you get money off vouchers but Tescos and Boots and them all get so much information about you and your buying habits and for there statistics as well but they do add up and you make some good savings i have a Tescos card and dont care if they record if i buy a bag of spuds or what loo rolls i buy Very Happy
Captain Nemo
Captain Nemo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum