~Christmas Memories~

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

~Christmas Memories~  Empty ~Christmas Memories~

Post by Tan on Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:47 am

~Christmas Memories~  JACxmas

🎅 Christmas Time has come again, is it really a year ago since last December?..WOW, it has come around so fast!..

I really like Christmas, seeing the Town Centres with their Christmas Tree's all lit up, carol singers, all the Malls decorated so festively, then the hunting for presents for Auntie Mabel, Uncle Roy etc, just everything I like about it!..

Such lovely memories too of my childhood, also giving many presents in my Adulthood and seeing the faces of everyone when they open them!..

Feel free to share your christmas memories with us!.. 🎅

~Christmas Memories~  Chdiv13

Last edited by Tanooma on Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:05 am; edited 3 times in total

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

~Christmas Memories~  Empty Re: ~Christmas Memories~

Post by nordog on Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:28 am

Listening to Bing Crosby, Nat King Cole, and many more entertainers who could sing lyrics the could whistle, hum or even sing too. Having just Saturday afternoon to shop for my mums pressy, coming home to find my mum was going to work that night Christmas Eve. But she still cooked the dinner God Bless her. Heart Kiss
nordog
nordog
Nordog
Nordog

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:19 pm

Making Paper Chains and feeling as though I was running out of lick, seeing my Dad putting them up from all four corners to the middle than nearly jumping off the ladder when he popped one of the balloons when he missed the paper chains with the pin tack!.. Shocked ~Christmas Memories~  391610

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Nev on Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:37 pm

One thing I am going to miss this year is the Christmas carols with the band, many happy memories of playing and seeing the smiles of the youngsters as they passed. But I certainly will not miss the freezing fingers on a cold brass cornet he he.

Nev
~ God Bless you our Nev ~

Back to top Go down

Post by skip on Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:40 pm

~Christmas Memories~  Charliesnoopyxmas-----LOVE THAT SNOOPY----HE HE
skip
skip
~ God Bless you our Skip ~
~ God Bless you our Skip ~

Back to top Go down

Post by June on Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:44 pm

I also remember making paper chains and cutting out 'snowflake' shapes from white paper....and trimming our little artificial tree with blobs of cotton wool along the branches and hanging 'icicles' that were coiled, narrow springs.

Also, hanging a pillow case at the end of the bed for Santa to fill 🎅 There was always a couple of oranges in it on Christmas Day ~Christmas Memories~  723149
June
June
June
June

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:29 am

I remember one Christmas in particular. It was during the war and we had two Canadian Airmen sharing Christmas Day with us. One of them was nearly 7 foot tall. He was an Indian Canadian and told us he was the son of an Indian Chief. His Indian name was "Little son of big chief running deer." He said all his brothers were over 7 feet tall and he was the smallest.

I have wondered since whether he really was the son of an Indian chief - or if he was teasing us. He was particularly interested in me as he said I walked like an Indian girl. He said my sister was entirely different and he expected I never wore the soles of my shoes out...that was quite true. he was sure I had some Indian blood in me. I have always been very light on my feet. He said I was "Sure footed, like a mountain goat"

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:43 am

Love to read all the memories here (and I won't be offended for a single second if you'd be kind enough to merge the thread 'All things Christmas' here too, our Tan - that would be lovely, if you think it won't detract from your thread).

And Nordog, I bet your put a lot of thought into finding 'the' perfect gift for your Mum and what a incredible lady she must have been. Working Christmas Eve can't have been easy as I'm sure she'd rather have been home with her family and to think she managed cooking the Christmas dinner the next day - and I bet she did it with a smile on her face, too.

Had to grin reading about your Dad nearly leaping off the ladder when accidentally popping on of the balloons, Tan! We never had paper chains but I've seen them in photos and I bet they were great fun to make (except for the dry licker woe) and looked wonderful, too!

Gosh yes, it will certainly be different with no playing the Christmas carols with the bank, Nev - but I hope you'll still be able to bring smiles to scads of kids by doing something that makes you feel 'Happy Ho Ho' this year too. Are you going to spend Christmas Day with family and friends, I hope?

Skip, Christmas surely means Charlie Brown ad that is a cute image of Snoopy dreaming of being a pilot, I'm sure. Our girls simply loved Charlie Brown and How the Grinch Stole Christmas - and still watch them with their kids. Did you have scads of brothers and sisters that woke you up early on Christmas morning?

And thinking of Christmas movies, the girls loved to watch 'The Christmas Carole' with Allister Simms starring it in. Not that they cared about the movie as much as they waited with 'baited breathe' for Glen to always spot the moment where one can see the camera man in the reflection of a mirror - grin.

And I remember cutting out delicate little 'snow flakes' from white paper too, June! Did you ever hang them on clear fishing line in front of your windows? And a pillow case at the end of your bed? - wow, you must have had big wishes as a child - huge happy laugh - and what a cute tradition that is!

Poppy, I think it very likely your Indian soldier was just that, a son of an Indian Chief - perhaps Cree from the sound of his name. And he must have found you ever so tiny and delicate and 'pale' (gentle grin). And what a lovely thing to have soldiers share Christmas dinner with your family - it must have given them the one bright spot in a long, scary time. Absolutely lovely!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:51 am

We were lucky and had land with a 'forest of trees' on it so each year my Father would pop me on the sleigh and off we'd go to hunt down 'the' perfect tree. And Peggy, my 'bestest friend' (a golden spaniel mix) would always get so coated with snow that my Father would have to add her to the sleigh with me.

My Mother always gave strict instructions to get a large, full and round tree ... and I always wanted to take home a sad looking thing because it might have it's feelings hurt otherwise (I truly was a difficult child to raise - gentle smile). Quite rightly we'd take home 'the' perfect tree, along with scads of cedar and fir branches and holly. And best of all, my Father would always, at some point in the trek back, 'accidentally' dump Peggy and I off the top of the sleigh and plop, right into a snow bank we'd go!

We hung those horrible brown wool long stockings up for Santa and I gotta admit I thought he was a messy fellow as along with the Japanese orange I'd find in the toe, there was always a handful of unwrapped hard candy that would be covered with bits of wool fluff balls. Hmmm - grin.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:01 am

So pleased to hear you hung up long brown woollen stocking Mara for Santa.

So did my sister and I. My Mother's Mother always sent a couple of her old stckings for us to hang on the ends of our beds.

We always had a tangerine, an apple and a few nuts right down at the toe. The stocking was filled to the top and overflowing with small toys and novelties - maybe a few sweets too. Even after we stopped believing in Santa - we still enjoyed our stockings on the end of the bed.

Parents must have found it very difficult to find toys for their children during the war as so very few were still being made. Nobody ever had enough to fill a pillow case.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:08 am

I'm so impressed with the ingenuity of British parents and the custom of hanging either a stocking or a pillow case at the end of the bed, Poppy - love it!

Here, we hang our stocking along the front of the fireplace mantle - which means that parents are always awake before the crack of dawn by the little one's shrieks of delight in finding them. Yup, far better they find Santa's magic at the end of their own beds - huge grin.

It must have been, as you said, unbelievably hard for 'Santa' to find little toys during and even for a few years after the war, Poppy. (We didn't get little treasures in our stocking, unfortunately - my parent's were ever so strict about not 'spoiling' me - drat, because it's impossible for 'Santa' to spoil kids on Christmas morning - sob and grin.

I do remember the Christmas I was literally heartbroken and thought for sure Santa was either mad at me or got his lists mixed up or something.

I'd be such a good little girl (not an easy feat for me Very Happy ) and just knew Santa would bring me the electric train set. But on Christmas morning, my brother got the train set and I got a watch (that didn't work). Come to think of it, I must have been spoiled as I can remember sobbing my heart out at how Santa could have made such a terribly mistake. (Yikes, imagine how my poor parents must have felt!).

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:18 am

Such lovely memories there Mara!... Very Happy

I remember waking up and daring to peep at the bottom of my bed incase maybe Father Christmas hadn't been yet!.
The excitement I felt when I saw my stocking there was magical, and I always rushed to the window to see if he had just been, but I always missed him of course!. 🎅

Inside my stocking was some fruit, always an orange was there and an apple, then some sweets and several small toys!.
Then I zoomed out of bed and dive bombed onto Mum and Dads bed shouting 'He's been, HE'S BEEN'... Very Happy ..I can still remember two sets of bleary eyes looking at me from the covers, mainly I think one of the pairs were looking at me as their other was still fast asleep!..hehe ~Christmas Memories~  448901

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:51 am

Smiling at the wonderful memories you have, Tan - and I imagine that no matter how sleepy your parents were, having you leap into bed with them to share that Santa had come must have been absolutely wonderful for them!

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:32 am

Yes so much Mara and they got up then and went downstairs with me and the look of surprise that Father Christmas had left more presents under the tree was nearly as much as mine!.
The excitement that was felt inside is certainly something that I never forgot and I am sure for everyone too!.
Plus I knew I had been a good girl all year as I was told that if I didn't behave then Father Christmas would just leave me a lump of coal!. Shocked
Of course I was always good, never cheeky, never any twubble, and I never got up to any mischief!.... Rolling Eyes
As good as I am here of course!..cough bom ~Christmas Memories~  892246

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:52 pm

Want me to toss you a cough candy, our Tan? ~Christmas Memories~  448901

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:59 pm

Ooo, yes please and um, can you make me a two hour appointment with Doctor Ted please as my cough is getting worsererer COUGH, see what I mean?.. bom

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Joelle on Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:28 pm

I remember when my sister and I were little we had a pillowcase, one stood at each side of the mantle piece before we went to bed. We always left a mince pie and a glass of sherry for Father Christmas and he always ate and drank them. When we woke up Christmas morning we ran into mum and dad and got in with mum while dad went downstairs to see if Santa had been. He would shout up that he had and we had to stay with mum till he lit the fire singing Christmas carols then dad would shout up that we could come down now. Oh what excitement. We always got a 'main toy' that we had asked for, a book, game, sweets chocolates, chocolate smokers set,crayons, plasticine and sometimes a net stocking that had all sorts of thing in it right at the bottom were new pennies an apple and an orange. They never had a lot of money but always made Christmas morning magical for us.
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle

http://www.pamspoetry.yolasite.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Nemo on Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:53 pm

We used to have a stocking at the end of the bed with an Orange and apple and some nuts then an orange was very special but it was lovely to wake to that though it was usually so early and the fear the night before if you couldnt sleep Santa wouldnt come , but we would go down and have to have breakfast first after getting dressed then we went into the front room and there was lots of silver foil hanging things and this crepe paper chains in red and green and the tree that we wouldnt dare touch as the ornaments were so fragile and old then always a few got broken though but Dad had a big trunk to keep them and they were all in boxes with tissue paper and were kept safe in the attic ,
And we used to have a tin of Quality street for the Christmas period and Dad liked Nuts and would have a big straw basket and would sit as we watched tv cracking the things open , we has a Collie Labrodore cross then called Pasha she would help herself to the walnuts and crunch them up on the floor and eat the nut inside and i didnt have slippers then and would walk in and stand on loads of nut shells or kneel on them till we realised Pasha was taking them , she also used to eat all the Raspberries in the garden in summer she would pull the ripe ones gently so the fruit slipped odd the core that she didnt like but the sweet fruit she loved Very Happy
Captain Nemo
Captain Nemo
~ God Bless you our Captain Nemo ~
~ God Bless you our Captain Nemo ~

Back to top Go down

Post by June on Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:29 am

Our parents didn't have much money but they managed to fill our pillowcases, mainly with books and painting materials, and games. They were too big to fit into stockings.

I suspect my affluent auntie had a lot to do with it. 🎅
June
June
June
June

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:51 am

Aw, bless her June!.. Very Happy

Every year I got an annual and my Great Grandma always sent me a christmas card with about 10 sixpences cellotaped onto it, I liked that, she didn't have a lot of money but it mean't the world to me, so it goes to show that it isn't the big gifts that remain as lovely memories!.

I remember being given a 'Walking Talking Doll', and she said 'hello', 'will you cuddle me', I like you', things like that, and also if I slanted her slightly to the left and right she would walk!.
Also I had a lovely big Teddy, and by moving him forward and back he would growl, and also say 'Mama'..
They would be pushed around quite happily in my doll's pram!.
My Grandma Minnie would knit lots of lovely dolls clothes for my smaller dolls and they were all so really nicely made!.

I remember saving up for a lovely glass ornament for my Mum, and when she opened it on Christmas morning she was so happy with it, she turned to show my Dad and she dropped it, luckily the bit that came off could be glued back on, but we all took a big breath in when she dropped it!..

I used to love seeing the snow coming as to me that spelt Christmas, I never remember a christmas without snow, but if there had of been I think I would have felt christmas hadn't come!..
In Jersey though there was hardly any snow, maybe the odd flake or two, so I loved it when I was abe to visit my relatives on the main land and make snowmen and play snowball fights too!.
When in Jersey though at christmas many of my cousins would send me photo's of their snowmen and I was envious, but mainly we as a family came to stay with relatives here and such fun I remember as a family to all be together!.

When I saw a Robin that too made me feel christmassy and the funny thing is as a child I never saw any Robins other than christmas time, so one time when I first saw one in May I was shocked and I remember asking why is it here?..Of course I never went as far in my mind to think that obviously they don't just live in the Winter, but to me a Robin is a winter bird and so lovely they are as we know too!.

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Joelle on Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:49 am

I used to love saying the rhyme...

The North wind doth blow and we shall have snow
and what will the robin do then poor thing
he'll sit in a barn
and keep himself warm
and tuck his head under his wing poor thing

I was never lucky enough to see a real live robin when I was little, but always looked for one in winter.

We always loved Christmas morning and my Granddad and Aunt usually came for Christmas lunch (we called it dinner) then afterwards they went onto another relative and we had to go to my Grandma and Granddads on my mums side. They didn't like children and we hated it. We always had pork stand pie and pickled walnuts for tea and Christmas cake and mince pies. afterwards they played cards and my sister and I had to sit and play with some dominos, we were always so glad to get back home again. For some reason we were never allowed to take our books or toys there I think my Grandma didn't want her home messed up with us Laughing it was only a small house. After my brother was born we stopped it and it was great, they came to us instead!
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Nev on Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:57 am

Some lovely memories coming up here from everyone. For me, I was an only child with no brothers or sisters, I found out much later that there was some medical problem with my mum that actually made it lucky that she ever had me, so no chance of any more.
So that meant Christmas morning was an exciting time just for little me, waking up with a stocking hanging from the little mantleshelf in my bedroom, or later on, the knob on the end of my bed. I got a new bed at some point that had a knob, a bit like a round door knob, on each corner, so ideal for hanging a stocking from he he. There would be apples, pears, oranges or tangerines and some nuts as well in my stocking, so on waking up that would be examined to see what Santa had left me, then downstairs to the Christmas tree and find different sized wrapped up parcels and boxes, some with my name on, some with either Mum, or Dad on a label. Being innocent and still believing in Santa, I never questioned why they were labelled Mum or Dad and not either of their full names. Presents to them from other family weren't put under the tree then for some reason, but they did have either Walter or Bertha on those.
I remember my joy at getting my first full sized bicycle as being the one present that stands out in memory, but other than that each year seemed to be different as to whether we went to Aunt and Uncle or if they came to us, though in later years we always went to my Aunt Dorothy and uncle Len at some part of Christmas day, she suffered very badly from Rheumatoid arthritis in her later life and couldn't travel far, so we went there.
Of course we all grow up so by the time I was in teenage years, some family had moved out of the area, my cousin married a Buxton guy so moved there, my other cousin married and moved to the other side of town with her husband, so visiting finished up being spread out over a couple of days with a day for each instead of the quick hello and goodbye all in one day for each one as it once had been. It made Christmas a very busy time of folk coming to our house or us going to someone else's, for as well as family, my parents had a very large number of friends as well. I personally got fed up of it all in the end as so many people didn't really have much in common with my interests, so I quickly got bored with some of them. I was glad when I got married and moved out, though of course that meant another set of relatives to visit or be visited by, but at least some of them were folk I had chosen.
Life moves on though, my wife left, Aunt Dorothy died, and not long after her Len married another and basically moved away from our family, till Christmas became a true just myself and parents thing, they did keep in touch with those in Buxton, but only by letter or the very rare visit now and then.
My parents eventually went, mother first with dad seven or eight years later. Due to a bit of friction with my cousins, which I won't go into, there is no contact with them now.
So, Christmas now is a time for friends, and a good break from work, enjoy it as just a good holiday now.

Nev

Back to top Go down

Post by Joelle on Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:07 am

Sometimes I think that your sort of Christmas is a lovely one Nev. You can please yourself and have good friends to share it with. Times with relatives can sometimes be a bit fraught. My perfect Christmas now would be just to be here at home cooking my own Christmas dinner for me and Sam, with family and friends popping in and out when they could to see us. But we have two lots of relatives now, mine and Sams and they always want us to go there. We tend to go to my daughters on Christmas day one year and Sams eldest daughter the next and then boxing day for the ones we didn't see on Christmas day. My son in Scarborough is always working (musician) so we see them some time before and David and Wendy we see just before or just after, phew it's all go!!
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:38 pm

Bet your Santa really appreciated the mince pie and sherry, Joelle (surely beats the shortbread cookies and glass of milk I used to leave for Santa!) - and gosh, it must have been so much fun for both you and your sister! I'd forgotten all about those net stockings! - my parents had friends were were wonderful gift givers to kids - yup, my brother got the one with the foil covered chocolate 'coins' and other candies and I always got one with little books, tiny colouring books and crayons - wahoo!

Your parents must have been so lovely to show all the necessary excitement to make Christmas morning extra special, Joelle!

Oh gracious, you must have been a patient child with having to get dressed and eat breakfast before seeing what Santa had brought for you, Captain! Do envy you and the others a childhood with paper chains and mental "handing things" - it must have made the room so magical! (My parents always had masses of fresh greenery garlands so for a child those paper chains would have been so much more fun!

Smiled just reading about your Pasha cracking the nuts and eating the meat (leaving the shells to give you big ouchies on the bottom of your bare feet - and about her swiping the fresh raspberries off the vines in the summer!

Aha, an affluent Auntie must have been a very good thing when you were a child, June - huge smile! While it doesn't take money to make a wonderful Christmas for ourselves or children, it must be very difficult for parents who struggle and having an Aunt give a helping hand is lovely!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:40 pm

What lovely memories you have of your childhood Christmases, Tan! And imagine seeing a Robin in December - wow! And snow really does make it seem perfect, doesn't it. I was just thinking this evening of Honeybee and Bwana and Doug - and how it must be so hot on their Christmas Day and wish there was some magical way to let them wake up on Christmas morning to snow!

Have never heard that rhyme before, Joelle! But yikes, grandparents who weren't nuts about having even their own Grandchildren around geesh, little did they realize the joy they were missing! And no wonder you were thrilled when after your brother was born you didn't have to go there on Christmas Day - grin!

Hope our Nev was wonderfully 'spoiled' being the only child on Christmas morning - and am smiling at the innocence of not questioning the labels on the gifts for your 'Mum' or 'Dad' - lovely! And Nev, the reason Santa didn't put Walter or Bertha's gifts under your tree is because they didn't sleep there overnight. Yup, that was surely it! Very Happy

Getting your first full sized bike - no wonder it stands out in your memory! Bet you hated to leave it behind on Christmas day while going to visit relatives but as we said, when we get older 'life does move on' and even though Christmas with friends must be such fun each year, bet you still miss your Mum and Dad, Nev. Actually, suspect most of us do, especially on Christmas Day - gentle sigh.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next