~Christmas Memories~

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

~Christmas Memories~  - Page 2 Empty Re: ~Christmas Memories~

Post by Tan on Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:34 pm

Such lovely memories for you all, and busytimes for many as we grow up, that is a good idea to alternate Christmas with both Daughters Joelle of yours and Sams, and then see Dave when you can in between, all happy and would be so happy to have you both share the festivities with them!.
I smiled when you said that when your Brother was born your family didn't go to see the relatives you were pleased to get home from when you went previously, bet you gave him a huge hug for being born, hehe
Yes I remember seeing the mince pie I had left and the sherry too being all gone and a few crumbs left on the plate and a few crumbs on the floor, so magical indeed!.
When your Dad went down to light the fire I bet there also was a lovely warm glow then in the room as you felt inside that Father Christmas had been!.
I remember the crepe paper chains Captain, mainly red and white the ones we had, but lots of times I would make the ones that needed all my lick, hehe...
I too loved cracking the nuts, my Grandma Minnie had a really old Nutcracker, it was in the shape of a lion and when a nut was placed in it's mouth I had to hold it's tail and push it down, the nutcracked and so many bits went on to the carpet, they do get everywhere don't they like when your Pasha sneaked all those to crack them, I bet it did hurt on your bare feet (and you tell our Honeybee orf for having no shoes on!!, hehe)..
Pasha sounded lots of fun and when did you finally taste a full Raspberry?, hehe, I bet Pasha loved them though!.
How lovely for you Nev when you got your first full sized bike, I bet you couldn't wait to get outside to ride it, such lovely memories for you there, and so pleased that your Mum was able to have you as you are a lovely friend to us all and I bet you brought great Joy to your mum and dad too over the years watching you growing up too, they were blesses as you were too!.
Poppy I wonder too if the 7ft Indian man was teasing but such a lovely memory there and saying your were 'sure footed, like a mountain goat' hehe, bless him and such lovely memories too you have from christmas!
Maybe you could be called 'Squaw Sure Foot' hehe
What a nice idea there Mara about using clear fishing line to hang up the snowflakes in the window, I can picture them gently swaying in the room with any movement in there, so lovely!.
Yes Dad nearly fell off when he accidently popped a balloon while up on the ladder, infact I vaguelly remember a little norty word, not too sure what it was as it was new to me and with all the joy for christmas I forgot it, hehe..
So lovely Nordog that you lovely Mum cooked your Christmas dinner alll ready for the big day even though she needed to worked Christmas Eve, so loving she was for sure!..
You will be settled in as well as can be June ready for Christmas Day, what a lovely memory you will have that within no time at all you had spent your very first Christmas there!.
So hope that the move goes so smoothly for you both!..
Yes I too think about our Bwana, Honeybee, Dougie, Shonapansi in the hotter weather for Christmas, it would be lovely if they could have snow, even if it was just on Christmas day!.
Hopefully Mara and Skip it won't be too cold there and any snow is kept to the minimum, and not all snowed in, but if you are then we can send our TTR Troops with their shovels!..hehe.. HI hO!.

~Christmas Memories~  - Page 2 LF6Thi1 ~Christmas Memories~  - Page 2 NIxv1QO~Christmas Memories~  - Page 2 E2ONOPT~Christmas Memories~  - Page 2 GtSfErM    ~Christmas Memories~  - Page 2 ORQ4u1r~Christmas Memories~  - Page 2 Smilie_xmas_568  bow
Tan
Tan
TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by June on Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:17 am

Just been reading all the lovely memories 🎅

It's very true that the more complicated lives we lead now makes it that we cannot all be together at Christmas and have to take turns in who visits who.

It works out quite well if the weather is fine but, if not, then travelling can become impossible.

There is often a lot of tension between family members as well so it's best to put on a happy face and ignore any little things that may develop in the wrong direction 🎅
June
June
June
June

Back to top Go down

Post by honeybee on Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:21 am

We OK now as far as sharing with bwana's family and mine
While my mom was alive, I cooked a full traditional christmas linch, with the 2 sisters coming with their children. We then started to have our annual holiday in the caravan and travelled to the Eastern Cape for 3 weeks.. Now to hide father christmas presents in the caravan was a hard task. We knew the owner of the caravan park well so big items he locked in the storeroom
When the girls married. for a few years we had our full tradional lunch.
Always setting the table so chrismassy, but always very hot. I used to try and hire a helper to do the dishes. As the years have gone by, the family has dispersed. My eldest daughter really rubs her brother and his wife Vicky up the wrong way. She has now made an issue with her sister Maryann. She now spends her christmas with her husband and 2 boys Brad and Joshua.
This year Gary asked us to go to Cape Town with him,he has always since he was born had christmas with us. We have declined as it is very far and bwana does not have the leave
We are going to a lovely lodge in the Pilanburg for 3 nights. bwana Michala and I. Maryann because she is now on her own will join us with her 2 children Amy and Matthew. When Maryann was married to Clive(till march this year) she always included Clives Mom and his sister and family. Really I am so glad that wont be the case this year

As a child we were always in a hotel in Port Elizabeth Eastern Cape. Mom would have a small tree in our hotel room. We would open presnts, only one and a stocking of sweets. Have breakfast, maybe be taken to the beach for a quick swim. Come back to hotel, dress for lunch full tradional lunch, have a little snooze then off to my dads side of the family in Uitenhage. Our present had to be left at the hotel.
Dad and his brothers(who were much older than my dad) would sit on the porch chatting. We would just be there. No cousins as they were all much older than my sisters and I and not around. Getting back to the hotel about 9pm and had to go to bed. No playing with the toy.
My father was a very selfish man and everything revolved around him.
That is why we try/tried to keep our children and their families together with us. Now I really dont care. This pussy footing around to make everyone happy -it is now mine bwana's time with our little laat lamejie to please ourselves.
Onething I do feel sad is I wont be with Kieran and Carys for christmas and their mum and dad Vicky and Gary as Gary loves his tradional christmas lunch with Vicky's folks and us. I amsure they will have a lovely holiday and we were blessed to give them a gift that will make their holiday possible travelling down to Cape Town
My grandchildren are OK no matter where they are as long as they get presents
Saying all this I would give my eye teeth to have my mom and dad with me now
honeybee
honeybee
Our Smilie Queen
Our Smilie Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Joelle on Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:46 am

Oh wouldn't it be wonderful to have our mums and dads back for Christmas. I think of all my relatives that have passed on as my sister and I are the eldest of our family now. Such happy memories.
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle

http://www.pamspoetry.yolasite.com

Back to top Go down

Post by honeybee on Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:02 am

Joelle wrote:Oh wouldn't it be wonderful to have our mums and dads back for Christmas. I think of all my relatives that have passed on as my sister and I are the eldest of our family now. Such happy memories.
Would it not be awesome
My sisters now also have extended families so we used to do the 26th December. I will though spoil my eldest sister this year as her husband has no work. So this is my year to give her some nice spends. I got a bonus and I want to share it with them all.
honeybee
honeybee
Our Smilie Queen
Our Smilie Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Joelle on Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:08 am

That is so lovely of you Honey to share your bonus.
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle

http://www.pamspoetry.yolasite.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:59 am

Oh gracious, the complications of Christmas, our kind Honeybee! And how hard it must be on you and Bwana with having children nearly estranged from another and so many tensions running - huge gentle sigh - and now, for the first time your Gary won't be with you for Christmas. Yup, huge sigh, gentle lady.

Really glad that you are able to head to the lodge in the Pilanburg over Christmas itself with your beautiful Michala, though - and when Maryann joins you with Amy and Matthew, you'll have three children all excited about Christmas morning. (Bet it doesn't matter a lick that Michala isn't a wee one anymore - Christmas morning is always exciting!).

The very thought of you having cooked a full traditional Christmas lunch when your sisters and their children joined your family - wow, even getting someone to help with the dishes would have still likely left you more than a tad 'wilted' from standing over a hot stove with your weather!

I darn near wept reading about your far from magical day when a child, Honeybee - how horrible for you and your sisters and how hard it must have been on your Mom too, likely wanting to give you a wonderfully happy Christmas day yet trying to keep 'peace' with your Dad. Perhaps he simply didn't understand that Christmas is truly about children - but no wonder you and Bwana have now decided to have your own way of doing things - good for you!! And how lovely of you to ensure others, including your sister, have a special day too- what a lovely generous thing to do!

Missing parents and family and old friends this time of year - well, it's just plain sad, isn't it.

And I read where you find Christmas great fun but often exhausting, Joelle - and isn't that the truth. Add the family tensions for some and good grief, it's a wonder the earth doesn't tremble from all the people simply collapsing on either Boxing Day or the day after!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:19 pm

For myself, I've always loved Christmas but it was surely not without a few tensions through the years.

When Tamara and Nichole were really small, it wasn't unusual for their bio-mom to say we wouldn't see them ... yet drop them off the day before Christmas with nary a gift from her or anything ready from Santa either. (We soon learned to expect this, though, and always bought extra gifts and stuck her name on them).

And their bio-dad, my brother, would often arrive the week before with his latest girl friend (usually picked up in a bar and always 'madly in love', of course) - and yet, he'd choose not to stop in and even visit with his little girls or our Mother (both on the way between his place and our home) let alone stay for Christmas day itself. (We solved that woe by buying gifts for each girl and adding a gift tag saying it was from him).

My Mother, when the girls were tiny and when we got our extra girls and right through her last Christmas so many years later, always stayed with us for the week before Christmas. She loved to bake cookies and other goodies with the girls and the house always smelled so incredible when Glen and I walked in from work!

I'm sitting here smiling just remembering that each year, Santa would bring my Mother scads of gifts and stuff her stocking to the brim - and each year, my Mother would take forever to come downstairs and all the girls would be nearly beside themselves with excitement waiting to see what treasures Santa had brought!

But how sad I feel that for so many years we 'had' to have Christmas dinner itself with Glen's parents at their house, with his siblings. Not that I didn't like them, I did, but I knew my Mother so wanted to stay at our place and have a quiet family dinner. I'm just so grateful I finally 'put my foot down' and she got her wish for her last two Christmases with us - but how I wish I'd done it sooner.

I know this must be boring everyone silly, but I hope no one minds if I share that things are a tad different now. We'd always encouraged Tamara and Nicole to continue loving their bio-parents by assuring them they were loved by them in spite of everything. And did the same with Temple regarding her Mom.

And while I know we did the right thing, how I miss our 'old' Christmases. Temple is now married and living far away and even the Christmas cards ended long ago ... Tamara and Nicole live not far away and are now happy with both their bio-parents (as it should be), but while we still see them during the year and buy gifts, Christmas is now spent at one of their homes with just the two of them and their families. And my beloved Glen and I are now estranged completely from his family.

Oh well. Stacey and Morgan and Owen are already excited about Christmas and as always, our holiday will be lovely! But like so many of you, I too would 'give my eye teeth' to turn back the clock just once more - gentle smile.

Back to top Go down

Post by June on Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:04 am

It would be lovely to turn back the clock, just once.

I will not be spending Christmas with Sally this time but will be with Ruth instead. It is impossible to have everyone together now as they all live in different parts and our weather being like it is, travel is a problem.

Your are right Honeybee in saying that now you and Bwana can have time for yourselves. You, along with many others, have done your share in the past. 🎅
June
June
June
June

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:20 am

Such beautiful Memories, and yes it would be lovely to be able to turn back the clock and once more see all our lovely relatives, and parents once more, we all take so much for granted and think that life will always stay the same, and our family will always be with us, but sadly for so many this is not the case especially if we lose many while we are still young, but each and everyone of them will stay with us in our hearts and in our minds forever!.. ~Christmas Memories~  - Page 2 924131

~Christmas Memories~  - Page 2 LF6Thi1 ~Christmas Memories~  - Page 2 NIxv1QO~Christmas Memories~  - Page 2 E2ONOPT~Christmas Memories~  - Page 2 GtSfErM    ~Christmas Memories~  - Page 2 ORQ4u1r~Christmas Memories~  - Page 2 Smilie_xmas_568  bow
Tan
Tan
TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2