My Mothers True Tale.

Go down

My Mothers True Tale.

Post by Maywalk on Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:42 am

A true tale which starts in 1912.
Told to me by my mother.

Many years ago I remember my mother telling me about her family.
I never knew any of them but according to what my mother told me she had an older sister who was married and had twin daughters and a brother who was in the Army. Her sister's husband had gone out to America to make a new life for his family and my mothers sister and twin girls were to join him as soon as he got settled.

From what she told me her mother, my grandmother, was a gypsy and the last of a Romany clan who had married my grandfather an Irishman.
For those who have read my book this was the grandmother that I met when she was dead.

I was told that my grandmother could see things happen before they did and seemed to have an uncanny way of KNOWING what was in store.
In other words she was seer------a person who could foretell the future.

When the time neared for her eldest daughter and granddaughters to set sail to join their husband/father
my grandmother had a vision of a large ship that was sinking and begged her daughter not to go but to wait and go on another ship later on in the year.
My mother said her sister laughed at her mother and told her that she was seeing things again.

Unfortunately my mothers sister took no heed of her mothers warning and she with her twin girls set out to join the ship that was to take them to America for a new life. They were sailing on the Titanic.

As the reader will be aware the Titanic sank on the 14th of April 1912 with the loss of 1500 lives on her maiden journey and my mothers sister and twin girls were among those lost.

My mother was just 11 years old at that time and as my grandfather and grandmother were separated it made life rather grim for my mother because she was trying to comfort her mother and grieve herself.

My mother idolised Tommy her only brother and he was her hero.
He had a concertina that he loved to play and his favourite tune was “Danny Boy.”
She used to sing to his playing and although Tommy was at least 14 years older than his sister he too loved her very much and used to encourage her to sing.
When WW1 broke out Tommy had to go to the war front in France and he left his concertina at home in the cupboard in his bedroom.

My mother was the only one left at home with her mother and to comfort each other they slept in the same bed.
WW1 had been raging since June 1914 and it was on the 26 of August 1914 while lying in bed with her mother they both heard the concertina playing “Danny Boy”. They got up and went into Tommy’s bedroom and opened the cupboard door to find the concertina out of its case and my grandmother just said “My Tommy is dead.”

My mother said she found out afterwards that my grandmother had written the date down previously to her son being killed and put it in a musical box.

I can still see my mothers face as she related this story to me and the grief she was still feeling with losing her sister and nieces now it was her brother.
Far fetched you may think but knowing my mother she was not the sort of person to make up stories.

Mother told me that she could remember the horseman dressed in red ( a guardsman ) coming to the house where they lived in London with a scroll tied up with red ribbon to hand to my grandmother.

I too saw that scroll which was signed by the king to say that one of his men had been killed in action and how brave he had been. That was the only time I saw it because when my parents moved to the town where I lived in later years it must have got thrown away in the moving of their belongings.
My grandmother or my mother never did find out where Tommy was buried OR if he had a grave at all.

Many years later I got very curious about where my Uncle Tommy had died and I phoned the War Graves Commission.
I gave her a few details over the phone of what little I knew about him and where he lived when he was the Army not even hoping that she could help me.

I was absolutely astounded when she came back to me and told me his Army number and although there was no known grave his name was carved on sarcophagus in France. She also told me the exact place to go to.

I was SO impressed with the way the young person had passed over the information.
I said it was marvellous to think that after all these years we had at last found out and I thanked her for how efficient she had been.

Her answer nearly floored me because she said “Actually it was very simple to find him Mrs Walker because he was the ONLY chap killed in WW1 with the name of THOMAS HUDDY.”

I was amazed to hear this and she told me there were some more Huddy’s killed but only the one with the name of THOMAS.

Of all the millions killed in WW1 it seemed incredible but it was perfectly true.

My biggest regret was that if I had done this sooner when my mother was alive she would have been more at peace with herself.
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk

http://www.memorylanehf.oddquine.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Re: My Mothers True Tale.

Post by Joelle on Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:21 am

Wonderful memories Mayflower and I know that strange things happen like the concertina incident I will post a memory of such an event in my daughters and my life. Amazing too that Tommy was the only Thomas Huddy to be killed out of all the men that were killed during that war. Looking forard to more of your wonderful memories.
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle

http://www.pamspoetry.yolasite.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:11 am

Such lovely memories there for you Maywalk, such a shame that your Grandmothers warning wasn't heeded, but understandable to a degree that it was passed by, but I feel that anytime in the future that your Grandmother said of other things in life that she saw, or sensed, then everyone would have listened to her, and acted on it..
Your Mother had such terrible grief with her losses, and such tragedy too.
So pleased that you did find out about your Uncle Tommy, with that it brought peace of mind to you, and I like to think that your Mum looked down that day and knew that finally Tommy had been found and she too could rest in peace.

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Maywalk on Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:34 am

Many thanks for getting back to me Joelle and Tanooma. Smile

I will sort out another memory tomorrow to put on here but please dont be afraid to tell me that enough is enough. I dont want to bore the socks off folks. Very Happy
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:54 am

There is no chance you will bore my pink socks off Maywalk bom
Looking back, reading, and thinking of our past many of us really do enjoy doing.
So post as often as you like, feel free..

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Maywalk on Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:21 am

Thanks Tanooma.

Just answered the wooden carving thread of Poppy's.
I really enjoyed looking through it.

While looking through that thread it brought to mind another true tale that I will relate on the forum at a future date about fostering children.
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk

Back to top Go down

Post by Joelle on Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:08 am

We would never be bored Maywalk, it is lovely reading 'memories'
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Maywalk on Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:17 am

Many thanks Joelle.

Lets hope you will still be saying that by the time I have finished putting all the tales on here. Wink
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk

Back to top Go down

Post by Joelle on Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:18 am

Keep them coming Maywalk, we will all love them I'm sure.
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:40 am

Oh yesum, keep than a comin' I have a few pairs of reading glasses so all okay with me Maywalk....

Yes the wooden carvings are lovely such works of art for sure, I so would like some of those..

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Alan on Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:00 am

Thank you so much Maywalk, what a wonderful idea to have a memories thread, and your first contribution is really incredible, it held me completely spell-bound, and I look forward to more.

"To know an elephant is to be touched by him - these gentle giants humble mankind. He is nature's greatest Masterpiece." John Donne - Poet
Alan
Alan
Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Nemo on Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:00 am

What a lovely but so sad recount Maywalk , these real stories are facinating and i have no problems believing them , as they say fact can be stranger than fiction and so often is , i have many of my own stories and of my family and to write them is nice for us and nice to share sort of sets them in time and in history ,
You will like anyone else here never find anyone tired or bored with your stories i found myself really engrossed in this one ,
So many of our stories we all have them can be so interesting to others ,
Thankyou for this and for Tan for setting it up its a lovely way to have them all together ,
Captain Nemo
Captain Nemo
~ God Bless you our Captain Nemo ~
~ God Bless you our Captain Nemo ~

Back to top Go down

Post by Maywalk on Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:11 am

Many thanks Captain.
Yes it was a sad time for my mother but she came through with flying colours as my book shows.
She was much admired by the Yanks when they were stationed in Leicestershire for her singing voice and for her bone broth. Smile They knew her as Ma Johnson.
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk

Back to top Go down

Post by Maywalk on Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:13 am

Thankyou Bwana.
I think I posted a reply to Captain just as you answered. I did not mean to ignore you. Embarassed
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk

Back to top Go down

Post by June on Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:45 am

Very intruiging memory Maywalk. Mothers always seem to know don't they?

I don't always have time to read stories but I will make a special effort with your memories
June
June
June
June

Back to top Go down

Post by Maywalk on Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:48 am

Many thanks June.
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk