The Teaset.

Go down

The Teaset.  Empty The Teaset.

Post by Maywalk on Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:40 am

My family have said that this tea-set below will stay in the family for as long as there is someone who wants it. I know my granddaughter wants to keep it so I am hoping it will be passed on to any children she may have in years to come.
My eldest brother who was about 10 at the time I was born in 1930 bought it for me out of the pennies he earned while doing odd jobs for folk. It was purchased the week I was born from East Lane market in London for 3d or threepence as it was known then.
I never played with it for nearly 7 years while I was in the Sisters of Mercy home.
My parents were TOO poor to pay for the doctor because I caught double pneumonia at the age of six months so I was put in the home for that reason.

These so called Sisters of Mercy were anything but merciful I am afraid and I was mentally and physically abused while with them. NOT sexually abused Thank God but it was bad enough to make me despise all those who wear a nuns habit.
I made up for it though when I finally went home in 1937.

I played with the tea-set every day and it even went all through the London Blitz. Plus it was taken down tube shelters or in the Anderson and wonder of wonders it just had the teapot spout broken plus a cup.
The cup was repaired with glue.
Its the same teaset I was playing with when my mother had her accident which can be read about in my book.

Ironic and extremely sad that it should still be here when you think of all the lives lost at that time.
During the Blitz, over 2 million houses (60% of which were in London ) were destroyed and 60,000 civilians were killed with 87,000 seriously injured. Of those killed the majority lived in London .
Until halfway through the war more women and children in Britain had been killed than soldiers.
It now has pride of place in my daughter-in-laws glass unit and is now over 81 years of age.
The Teaset.  Croppedkx0
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk

http://www.memorylanehf.oddquine.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

The Teaset.  Empty Re: The Teaset.

Post by Tan on Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:18 am

How lovely of your brother to buy this beautiful tea-set for you, such a treasure all these years and much interest by many too.
So sorry to hear how poorly you were at such a young age, and having to go into the home there, and I well know what you mean about the Sisters of Mercy, my Mum went to a convent school in Jersey and she told me many stories of her time there, I was astounded when I was told as naturally as with many I felt they were like angels, to love and be respected, but sadly for mum, yourself and many I have heard over the years that was not the case, so pleased you did eventually got back home to your family.

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Maywalk on Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:28 am

Many thanks Tanooma.
Yes the so called Sisters of Mercy were vixens hiding under a cloak of religion. The Teaset.  1135710163
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:38 am

I have just spoken to dad, he reminded me of something that happened to him there.
He was a Merchant Seaman and also of course we lived there too in Trinity..
He was cleaning the mast on the boat that was docked there and he fell from the mast there onto a pile of sand, luckily, or sure he would have been terribly injured, but he was hurt enough, he was not able to work for a long time.
He was directed to the Sisters of Mercy there and he thought that was for medical help, he knocked on the door, was taken in and basically ridiculed, then given a bowl of soup and told to go on his way..
He politely thanked them and left, he felt bad though, as like mentioned he thought it was for treatment, he had only been married to my Mum for around 6 months, so he didn't understand how it all went as he had come from Southampton.
One day while in the Square there two Nuns passed by and said 'How is your back now, you look okay to work to us, and did you enjoy your soup?..This was said so loudly, dad wanted mum to basically pack up and leave there and then as he said this is not a place for me..
Of course they did stay, but as it was a small island, and he was known as a Mainlander, he got word that nearly all the island knew about it all, yet he had done nothing wrong, he had been injured..
Mum I remember telling me that the nuns were so strict there that to even breathe the wrong way was frowned upon, also it didn't help matters that she was left handed, they forced her numerous times to write with her right hand.
Of course there was some very kind nuns and still will be, but their experience certainly made an impact on their life.

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Joelle on Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:47 am

Two very sad stories about the Sisters if Mercy. I have read so many different accounts like this and they are supposed to be dedicated to God and his love. Many twisted warped women seem to have become nuns and then vented their spit on vunerable people. God forgive them.
The tea st is lovely Maywalk and such a treasured possession. Lovely too to know it will be kept and treasured in your family.
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle

http://www.pamspoetry.yolasite.com

Back to top Go down

Post by June on Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:57 am

A beautiful little tea set and so sad that you had to be away from your parents for so long.

It is amazing how some material things survive long after we have departed.
June
June
June
June

Back to top Go down

Post by Maywalk on Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:25 am

Thanks for the input everyone and the interesting tale about your Dad Tanooma.

I wonder how many more tales there are of this ilk referring to these so called religious Sisters of Mercy.
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:07 pm

I'm sure there will be many floating around, and many as surprised as I was to hear how so many had been treated so badly by some of the Nuns.
But I also feel there will be nice stories too, but such a shame like in life the very people we feel would be so caring and, compassionate, actually try and destroy so many, and their confidence too..

When I saw your tea-set it also brought to my mind of a lovely little china childs tea-set that I was given by my Grandma Minnie, she was the love of my life, so caring, and just everything in her was beautiful, the tea-set she sent to me with love at the age of about 8, knowing I would appreciate it and also use it for my little dolls tea parties, and I did, sadly it got lost in transport when I was moving as an adult, but my memories of the day I got it will remain with me forever.

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Maywalk on Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:15 pm

Aw what a shame that your teaset was lost in transit Tanooma. The Teaset.  433907374

It could have been as old as mine. Perhaps older.
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:22 pm

I know that Grandma had bought it in Guernsey, that was in 1963, I know there were some others items missing after the move, so maybe the box was actually left maybe on the side of the path, it upset me greatly for quite a while, so precious it was, but like I say I will always remember it.

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Maywalk on Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:16 am

Still a great loss Tanooma but I hope if another little girl became the proud owner of it she treated it with respect.
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:50 am

Yes, that's a lovely thought Maywalk.

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down