SOME MEMORIES OF MY CHILDHOOD, STARTING SCHOOL AND DURING THE WAR

Go down

SOME MEMORIES OF MY CHILDHOOD, STARTING SCHOOL AND DURING THE WAR Empty SOME MEMORIES OF MY CHILDHOOD, STARTING SCHOOL AND DURING THE WAR

Post by Joelle on Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:34 am

SOME MEMORIES OF MY CHILDHOOD, STARTING SCHOOL AND DURING THE WAR

I have such vivid memories of when I was very young. I can remember for instance being pushed in my pram sat up facing my mum and later sitting in a pushchair and mum taking my sister who was two years older than me to start school. I can remember seeing this huge building and being told that when I was a big girl I would be able to go to school. My mother told me that one day I was crying because I wanted to stay and the teacher saying to mum.’ Let her stay and we’ll see how she goes’. Miss Smith her name was, she had short black hair with a fringe and was lovely. Her helper was Mrs Jennings and I told my mum she had a big wobbly bottom! I was three years old. My classroom I can visualise where it was in the hall and where everything was as Miss Smith showed me round. A sandpit in the corner, a Wendy house, a little shop, a see saw with canvas seats and other toys and big mats that were pulled out for us all to sit on, cross legged, to listen to stories and see the pictures. My favourite was Little Black Sambo and The Gingerbread man. Miss Smith had a pile of soft handkerchives on her desk for any child that had a runny nose and no handkerchief! They were made from the bags that flour was sold in that had been boiled. I had a hook in the cloakroom with a picture of a dog on it where I hung my coat. At playtime we had the big toys out in the playground and often we played games like ring a Ring of Roses, The Farmers in his Den, In and out the shady Bluebells. I loved it all also singing nursery rhymes while Miss Smith played the piano, dancing with a partner to Wind the Bobbin. Such happy days.

One lovely memory that started at about that time and lasted for year or two until my dad had to go into the army, was the great excitement Friday nights held for us because Friday night in our house was…’Surprise night’.

My dad was a joiner by trade and worked very hard all his life. Money was never plentiful but we were loved and cared for and never went hungry. Friday night’s dad got his wages, and the first thing that he did on his way home from work was to stop at the newsagents to pay his paper bill. But he also used to buy a few things too!

My sister and I would wait impatiently for dad to turn into the top of our street; he was walking of course as not many working class people had motor cars in those days.
We would run out to meet him then mum would make us sit down for our tea which we had altogether sitting round the table. No tray on knees was her rule, not unless we were ill! This of course was after our dad had got washed and changed. All the waiting and anticipation really added to the excitement. Mum always did something special for tea on a Friday nights, often dad’s favourite, sausage, egg and chips.
In those days we had ‘dinner’ at lunch time and ‘tea’ in the evening.

After tea came the moment we had been waiting for. Dad would tell us “Now sit down, close your eyes and hold out your hands”.
Then, with a big smile he would give us our surprise! It was the same ritual every week and did we look forward to it. First there was our weekly comic, I used to get the ‘Chicks Own comic, and my sister the ‘Rainbow’, but then he also he put into our eager hands a little cone bag (2 oz) of sweets, maybe dolly mixtures, liquorice torpedoes, Yorkshire mixtures, humbugs etc. That was the surprise; we never knew what we were getting.
He also used to buy my mum her favourite Paradise Fruits or chocolates and her magazine Woman’s Companion. He had his evening paper and cigarettes.
Then with us all sitting comfortably round the fire we would contentedly read with the radio on in the background and I always thought that it was magical, all of us together, cosy and warm.
I will always remember those happy days of my childhood. I suppose that it would mean nothing to children of today the simple pleasures that we had when I was a little girl.

As we grew up my dad was the most important person in my life. I well remember the day when he had to leave us to go into the Army. It was World War two and dad went into the Military Police. He was stationed in Southampton and used to drive big army trucks with supplies between there and the London Docks.
He always saved his sweet ration that he was allowed from the NAFFI and together with chocolate that American soldiers off the boats gave him; he would send us parcels home full of goodies. We were the envy of our friends.

He came home on leave occasionally and we were allowed time off school in order to spend time with him. When he had to go back I used to polish his tunic buttons for him and his belt and then I would cry for hours after he had gone. I knew his number off by heart.
At school the windows were all papered with something that was to stop any glass falling on us in case of an explosion. We were given Gas masks, mine was a red Micky Mouse one, they were kept in a cardboard box with a handle and we had to take them to school and practice wearing them in case of a gas attack. I remember the first time I heard the sirens so loud wailing and the long all clear at the end, practiced before the raids started. It was so scary,

Before my dad went into the army he white washed the walls of a little ‘pantry cellar, leading ff the main cellar under our house, put a mat on the concrete floor, stocked an old cupboard with drink and a tin of biscuits, an old settee with cushions and told my mum we had to go down there as soon as the sirens started. I can remember mum getting us up after we had been in bed for a while, getting s dressed downstairs in the living room and then taking us and some blankets into the cellar where we waited and heard the drone of the German Planes passing overhead and then the relief when the all clear sounded although often I missed that and would find myself back in bed the next morning. It was so cold down there and as there had been no bombing near us Mum decided to still get us up and dressed but to stay in our living room in front of the fire.
She must have been so frightened on her own with my sister and myself although some nights I seem to remember our next door neighbour coming in too as the sirens started.

Mum had to make blackout curtains for all our windows and make sure that no light shone through at night. Air raid wardens went round and if there was a chink showing anywhere he would shout,’ put that light out.’

I can remember running home from school to listen to Workers Playtime while we had our dinner. It was broadcast from factories where they had shows at dinner time for the worker.

So many memories of the war years, ration books, the endless queues and yet my mum could make a meal out of anything. He amounts we were allowed were so small it takes a bit of believing when you see them now in the museums. I don’t think there were any problems with obesity during the war, although the rich people could, and often did buy from the black market.

I remember Dad coming home on compassionate leave when my brother was born; I was eight years old then. My mum had a difficult labour and she nearly died, and although my sister and I were homesick, as we had to stay with an aunt and were worried and missing our mum, it was so lovely to see him. Shortly after that he was demobbed.
When he came into the house in his demob suit, trilby and raincoat we hardly recognised him. He always joked that his demob suit he was keeping to wear at mine and my sister’s weddings!

Joelle
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle

http://www.pamspoetry.yolasite.com

Back to top Go down

SOME MEMORIES OF MY CHILDHOOD, STARTING SCHOOL AND DURING THE WAR Empty Re: SOME MEMORIES OF MY CHILDHOOD, STARTING SCHOOL AND DURING THE WAR

Post by Maywalk on Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:16 am

That was super Joelle.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading that because that is just how it was during those years and you have voiced your feelings and thoughts admirably.

Well Done. SOME MEMORIES OF MY CHILDHOOD, STARTING SCHOOL AND DURING THE WAR 8840

I look forward to reading any more memories that you can recall.
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk

http://www.memorylanehf.oddquine.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

SOME MEMORIES OF MY CHILDHOOD, STARTING SCHOOL AND DURING THE WAR Empty Re: SOME MEMORIES OF MY CHILDHOOD, STARTING SCHOOL AND DURING THE WAR

Post by Joelle on Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:19 am

Thank you Maywalk, it is so lovely to reminisce isn't it/
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Maywalk on Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:29 am

Yes it is Joelle.

It is also good to keep a copy of what you have just written down for your family to read in years to come.

They will treasure it because its family history.
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk

Back to top Go down

Post by Joelle on Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:47 am

Yes I've done that Maywalk, I've written my whole life story up to the present time and when I think it is time to finsih it I will make it into a book and leave them all a copy, they will find some things out about me that they didn't know!! Girl Smile
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Maywalk on Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:49 am

Thats the way to do it. Very Happy
Give them all one or two surprises.
Keep up the good work.
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:55 am

Such lovely memories for you Joelle, how lovely you can remember so much from your younger childhood years, with the wendy house and all, and it brought a lot back to me with hearing of your comics and also all sitting together, home life was that, it was a life where we could be together at the end of the day all together.
Shame that these days most families are not like that, most youngsters are in their bedrooms, I was only in mine to sleep or if I had flu etc, and also many youngsters now have their mobile phones attached to them, such a huge change.
How lovely for your friday night surprises, so lovely to look forward to.
Thankyou Joelle, so lovely to read.

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Joelle on Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:08 pm

Thank you Tan, I was lucky to have such a lovely childhood with so many lovely memories too.
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:14 pm

It's so lovely when looking back like you Joelle, to want to look back, and enjoy the times that come to mind, just as if it was happening again, great love and warmth can come over us with these thoughts, it goes to show that our loved ones, who have sadly left us, will always be with us in mind.
I remember in my training, I was naturally needed to cover all ages, I did 4 months in an elderly peoples home, it is so true that many will forget what they had for their tea, but they can remember their childhoods so vividly, it was amazing to hear their stories, see their faces light up as well...
I remember asking if a photo of them could be placed on a cupboard in their rooms as many people just see the elderly there as 'old' they seem to not think that they too were young, and had a life with lots of memories, this idea was greatly thought of, put in place, it helped so many to see that these elderly ladies and men were not born old..

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Joelle on Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:27 pm

That was a lovely thought Tan and will have brought so much pleasure.
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:30 pm

Thankyou Joelle, and when the photo's started to be brought in from their families I know of two ladies there that were very quiet normally came to life a lot when they saw their younger photo there, also many families started to bring their albums too, that triggered so much off as well, so I was pleased that the thought had infact worked.

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Nemo on Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:21 pm

Beautifully written Joelle i was really enthralled and what a memory i really cant remember anything until i was about 6 but what a great idea to write your lifes story this thread will be facinating im sure and so interfesting i will send you all to sleep with my stories but take that chance so be warned , Very Happy
Thankyou Joelle
Captain Nemo
Captain Nemo
~ God Bless you our Captain Nemo ~
~ God Bless you our Captain Nemo ~

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down