Nellie the Elephant

Go down

Nellie the Elephant  Empty Nellie the Elephant

Post by Maywalk on Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:58 am

I used to go round the schools to talk to children about WW2 and I used to take the elephant below to show them . The children were fascinated hearing the story about Nellie and loved to see the man spin round on the top of it.

The elephant below was sent from India in 1942 by my eldest brother who was in the RAF. When he had leave he bought this elephant to send her home to my parents plus a lovely embroidered table runner with the Taj Mahal on it all done with beads.
Unfortunately Nellie the Elephant got caught in a bombing raid that damaged quite a bit of Mount Pleasant Post Office in London.
When she finally reached us her trunk was off plus her tusks were missing.
My father glued the trunk and God knows what he glued it with because its still stuck to this day.
No superglue then but whatever it was it certainly made a good job of Nellie’s trunk.
She stood for many years balancing the man on top of her trunk in my parents the window but still minus her tusks.
When it was handed down to me I went to a jewellers and bought two necklaces that had a nacre
( mother-of-pearl ) tusk hanging on them.
Hubby put the tusks in the holes where the original ones should have gone and Hey Presto here is Nellie in all her glory.

She has been a great conversation piece no matter who calls and children are fascinated watching the man spin on the top. She will definitely be staying in the family.

She started my collection off of carved wooden animals brought or sent to me from all countries in the world from the Russian bear to the New Zealand Kiwi. She too will be handed down the family.
She will soon be 70 and still going strong. Smile

Nellie the Elephant  1zm2mtu
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk

http://www.memorylanehf.oddquine.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Nellie the Elephant  Empty Re: Nellie the Elephant

Post by Tan on Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:01 pm

How lovely that you were able to go to the schools and I'm sure the children there would have taken more in of what you said of the times, than what they ever could learn from a history book, and all listening with great interest too, most likely showing you how interested they were by asking you questions..

What a lovely idea of yours for making the tusks, and had you not mentioned that I would never have thought that they weren't the originals..
Such a beautiful ornament and holding such lovely memories for you as well.

Maybe sometime you would like to show us your collection, they would be lovely to see.

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by June on Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:44 am

Well done you and Nellie cheers

We have a room for hobbies and some have put their collections there. It would be nice to see them all.
http://www.tanoomasretreat.com/f28-our-creative-hobbies

I have a couple of trinkets, one is a tiny ivory elephant that my uncle sent to my mum during the war.
June
June
June
June

Back to top Go down

Post by Maywalk on Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:15 am

Thankyou Tanooma and June.
PLEASE let me know if I am being TOO pushy by posting my memories on here because I dont want to look as though I am trying to outdo anyone.

I ask this because I have been having blackouts over the last year and with having had a loop recorder inserted in my chest similar to a pacemaker and now being put on Epilepsy tablets I never know from one day to the next what is going to happen.

NO I am not looking for sympathy because I think I have done well to get to the age that I am but if folks are interested in tales gone by then I still have quite a few to tell but, as I said, I dont want to appear pushy.
God Bless All.
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:51 am

Honestly Maywalk, that will never be in our minds, please feel free to post as you like, it is your little home here too and you are very welcome to add as much or as little as you like, where ever you like, just pop them slippers on and get comfy every time you can call in.
Um, do you make a nice cup of tea?, we always like a drink. Very Happy

It's marvellous what the medical profession can do and come up with to help so many, the recorder has helped so many, and it's marvellous that it was given to you, such a shame of course that you needed to have it, but for it's purpose it surely would have given you peace of mind.
Take care, and wishing you all the best in your life, you have done marvellously for others, helping them through like you wrote about yesterday, that it's also nice for you to know that we are here too. Big Hug

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Maywalk on Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:01 am

Bless you Tanooma.
If I can help anyone I will, especially in Dorothys case with her beautiful daughters lovely writings.
It was a pleasure for me to help bring some light back into her and her sons life again.

To be honest with you the loop recorder that has been inserted in my chest has not come up with anything so far but I have to go back to the hospital in a fortnights time. Whether it will have any readings on it we dont know.
It is only in for two years and then it has to be take out again.
Just taking life as it comes now. Smile
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:10 am

You're very welcome Maywalk, and Dorothy and her Son will never forget your utmost kindness, and thought, in helping them to have such a great treasure that you gave to them, and of course your true friendship too..

Do you need to go to the hospital regularily for your recorder to be monitored, or maybe not too much over the time you have had it up to now?.
Yes, best way, taking each day as it comes and resting when we can with a cup of tea.. Very Happy

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Maywalk on Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:52 am

I am at the hospital on the 6th of July at the pacemaker department and back again on the 17th of August to the Cardiology department.

I am still none the wiser whether it is heart trouble or Epilepsy.
I am just hoping that someone can give me an answer soon.
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:43 am

It's the not knowing at times that is the worst, not knowing what to put our minds on, but it is lovely they are keeping a close eye on you Maywalk, and peace of mind for you I'm sure when you have been, and got results back, although like you mentioned that for the recorder nothing has shown up, hard as it is in mind as much as naturally we don't want something showing at times, when we have symptoms and still nothing shows on tests it can make us think is there any other way that they can find the cause of how I am at times.

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Joelle on Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:56 am

Oh Maywalk,o f course you are not too pushy we are all so pleased that you have joined us and love your stories and poems. Sorry to hear about your medical problems. My dad started with epilepsy out of the blue but it was controlled with tablets. The elephant is a beauty and I can understand how it is a topic of conversation and how the children would have been enthralled with it too.
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle

http://www.pamspoetry.yolasite.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Maywalk on Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:12 am

Yes it IS the NOT knowing Tanooma that can get one down but then again as I said before I am lucky to have got to the age I am. SO many poor little souls dont even make their first 10 years.

Thanks Joelle for the input.
It would be no surprise to me if my blackouts are to do with Epilepsy because my father died of a Grand Mal Fit many years ago.
At least I would have an answer if its confirmed.
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum