True Tale Of A Halifax Bomber.

Go down

True Tale Of A Halifax Bomber.  Empty True Tale Of A Halifax Bomber.

Post by Maywalk on Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:24 am

This is a true tale about a Halifax Bomber that had been on quite a few raids during WW2.

After the war these planes were put to service by helping to train glider pilots.
During 1947 the circular engined Hailfax was sent to North Luffenham airfield where my hubby used
to be a fitter on the engines while doing his National Service in the R.A.F.
The Halifax Bomber was a replacement sent to teach Glider Pilots.
Before it was accepted it had to go on a test flight to make sure that it was safe to tow the gliders.

On its first test flight it crashed through a fault in the control column.
It turned right over on to its back and crashed in a ploughed field at the end of the drome.
There was one big cloud of dust that scared the living daylights out of the ground crew.

My hubby said everyone was terrified of what they would find but the pilot, engineer and
the radio operator all climbed out dusting themselves down and getting the dust out of their eyes.

Everyone was relieved and pleased to see all three climb out unhurt but to this day
my hubby says he will never know how they got out alive.

My hubby was NOT one of those that had serviced this aircraft but there was a big enquiry as to what happened.
From what he could gather a bolt at the bottom of the control column had snapped.
Hubby said out of the Halifax and the Lancaster he preferred the Halifax because you could walk down
the middle of it but with the Lancaster you had to crawl on your hands and knees to service them.

After his stint at North Luffenham my hubby was sent to Cottesmore to work on Mosquitoes.
He also worked on the first Meteor.
Hubby said he enjoyed his time in the National Service and only wished it was brought back
again to straighten some of the yobs out of today.

Out of the wreck of the Halifax my hubby had a piece of perspex that was from the windscreen and he
made this brooch for me below. Its now well over 60 years since he first gave it to me and one more memento to be passed on to the family.
True Tale Of A Halifax Bomber.  2rdk8lz
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk

http://www.memorylanehf.oddquine.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

True Tale Of A Halifax Bomber.  Empty Re: True Tale Of A Halifax Bomber.

Post by Tan on Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:31 am

God was certainly with them that day, it's amazing how they did survive of course, but such relief to them and all around.
Such a beautiful brooch your hubby made for you, and such a treasure too, I bet you felt so proud when ever you wore it, or took it out of safe keeping to once again admire it with your memories of the day you were given it..
Yes I too feel a form of National Service should be brought back, and that would certainly straighten out so many of today, where does the fault lie though, with the parents, school or society in general for having too many 'Do Gooders' who make it hard for parents and teachers to instil discipline into these very youngsters that have no thought for anyone except themselves..

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Maywalk on Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:06 am

Thanks Tanooma.
Yes everything has certainly changed since I was a youngster. I DO believe there are TOO many silly laws coming in now. I dont want to see the youngsters ruled with an iron fist but I do believe in teaching right from wrong. Unfortunately a lot of yobbishness stems from NOT being able to chastise the child when younger.
It reminds me of this that was sent to me some time ago. It still makes me smile.

I think this is great and ought to be printed out for many teenagers and stuck on their bedroom wall.
I read the printed version about four years ago but someone has put it into a poem which I think is very good.

Don't Mess With Dad (or Mum)

My son came home from school one day,
with a smirk upon his face.
He decided he was smart enough,
to put me in my place.

"Guess what I learned in citizenship,
that's taught by Mr. Wright?
It's all about the laws today,
The "Children's Bill of Rights."

It says I need not clean my room,
don't have to cut my hair.
No one can tell me what to think,
or speak, or what to wear.

I have freedom from religion,
and regardless what you say,
I don't have to bow my head,
and I sure don't have to pray.

I can wear earrings if I want,
and pierce my tongue & nose.
I can read & watch just what I like,
and get tattoos from head to toes.

And if you ever spank me,
I'll charge you with a crime.
I'll back up all my charges,
with the marks on my behind.

Don't you ever touch me,
my body's only for my use,
not for your hugs and kisses,
that's just more child abuse.

Don't preach about your morals,
like your Mother did to you.
That's nothing more than mind control,
And it's illegal too!

I have these children's rights,
so you can't influence me,
or I'll call in Child Protection Division,
better known as C.P.D."

-----
"Of course my first instinct was
to toss him out the door.
But the chance to teach him a lesson
made me think a little more.

I mulled it over carefully,
I couldn't let this go.
A smile crept upon my face,
he's messing with a pro.

The next day I took him shopping
at the local Woolworth Store.
I told him, "Pick out all you want,
there's shirts & pants galore.

I've called and checked with C.P.D.
who said they didn't care
if I bought you cheap shoes
instead of those Nike Airs.

And I've cancelled that appointment
to take your driver's test.
The C.P.D. is unconcerned
so I'll decide what's best.

I said "No time to stop and eat,
or pick up stuff to munch.
And tomorrow you can start to learn
to make your own packed lunch.

Just save the raging appetite,
and wait till dinner time.
We're having liver and onions,
a favourite dish of mine.

He asked "Can I please rent a video,
to watch on my VCR?"
"Sorry, but I sold your TV,
for new tyres on my car.

I also rented out your room,
you'll take the couch instead.
All the C.P.D. requires
is a roof for over your head.

Your clothing won't be trendy now,
and I'll choose what we eat.
That allowance that you used to get,
will buy me something neat.

I'm selling off your computer,
bike & roller blades.
Check out the "Parents Bill of Rights,"
It's in effect today!

Hey hot shot, are you crying,
and why are you on your knees?
Are you asking God to help you out,
instead of C.P.D..?"
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:37 am

Absolutely brilliant, so very well thought out and put too, wow, that would put many in their place... Very Happy

I know that each generation will revert back to theirs when they look back, and for many they say 'Oh, in 'my' day we did this, and that, and wouldn't have been allowed to do this and that'..
Well, yes, so true and even when I was younger, and of course each generation knew no different than the life they were actually living, 'Their little world'..
But I do know that respect was there, sadly for many that word doesn't carry anything only their laughter when asked about the respecting others.

I often think about these changes, and I too look back, there was always something to look forward to, be it an outing, be it just dad coming home with some pop, be it even eating the evening meal together, we knew, many of us, that family life was that, where we were together feeling safe and protected, there were boundaries too, of course each and everyone of us tried to cross that line, but one look from dad and wow, we dived back again..

I feel that today as the parents seem to want more and more, holidays, fancy designer clothes, beauty treatments etc etc, that naturally mum needs to go out to work, dad has to work even harder, they both come home worn out, and all they want to do is sit and rest, not have to start cooking a proper meal, their children might be squabbling, so they say 'out to play', also I think that a lot of parents do feel guilty that they cannot give the time that they really want to give to their children, so in exchange they try and buy their love, never saying 'No', giving in to them wanting the latest gadgets, or designer wear, etc etc, then these very children grow up, and then smack, it hits them that they cannot have that money life like they did before, all was sort of given on a plate, then the troubles start, they want what they had, they get into debt, steal, etc etc, it just snowballs, and then stress forms, drugs get involved one way or another, then like we know the downhill slide begins, so many different scenario's, just so many, but really these youngsters that delve into that side of life are the minority, there are a lot of fantastic youngsters in the world, and as many fantastic parents too, yet we seldom hear of those, as of course the quiet ones don't get the recognition to be named, just the bad ones.

A friend of mine worked in a school as a dinner lady/play leader, a squabble started in the play ground, she went over to try and settle it, as she approached the child that was causing trouble, he was 5 years old, still a baby in many peoples eyes, he looked at her straight in the eyes and simply said 'You can't touch me, I will have you 'done'..
That phrase did not come out of his brain from his thoughts, it had been put there by we assume his parents..

I don't believe in cruelty of any form, but like mentioned respect has gone flying out of the window, as so many adults, including parents wants to be their childs friend, more than a parent, there has to be some form of discipline to start to show these youngsters that they do not rule, they have a lot of learning to do with regard to living in a respectable society.

Last edited by Tanooma on Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Maywalk on Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:09 am

My sentiments exactly Tanooma.

Having said that about parents going out to work though it was the same in WW2 because women were called up for war work whether they wanted to go or not. It didn't mean having to go in the forces. It could be as a Land Army girl or making munitions.
My mother and sister were sent by 'Direction of Labour' as it was called then into munitions.
My sister was a crane driver in a big munitions factory here in the Midlands and it wasn't a small crane either.
It was one of the very, very high ones and she was responsible for lifting heavy cargo over the heads of the workers and she was only 19.
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk

Back to top Go down

Post by skip on Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:40 pm

True Tale Of A Halifax Bomber.  Ranger10 Ineresting read here ladies
skip
skip
~ God Bless you our Skip ~
~ God Bless you our Skip ~

Back to top Go down

Post by Maywalk on Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:54 pm

Thanks Skip.
Glad you enjoyed the topic/s. Very Happy
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk

Back to top Go down

Post by June on Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:00 pm

A beautiful brooch Maywalk and I believe they are collector's items now. A true treasured possession.

As for the children of today well, I could write a book, but it's all been said before and that poem just about sums it up.

Respect and discipline go hand in hand with love to my mind and if you give that to your children then they'll reward you with good behaviour.

Kids today have too many material things but not the emotional stability or even a secure family unit.
June
June
June
June

Back to top Go down

Post by Maywalk on Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:16 pm

Many thanks for the input June. Smile
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:52 pm

Thankyou too from me Skip, so much has changed over the years and like you say there June Respect and Discipline do go hand in hand with love too.

Such a lot the ladies had to do in the war as you say there Maywalk and my respect goes out to them all, and they still kept their families together, plus not knowing if their loved ones would be coming home..
God Bless them all.

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Joelle on Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:20 am

A beautiful brooch Maisie, a fantastic story about the Halifax and a great poem with which I wholeheartedly agree. Yes National service would straighten a few youngsters out. In Turkey they still have National Service, no choice they have to go in the army at 18 or nineteen for three years. One young waiter told us who was going that hear, we go in boys and we come out men. There are no yobs there like here and you can walk in the streets at night with no fear.
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle

http://www.pamspoetry.yolasite.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down