A Police Saga.

Go down

A Police Saga.  Empty A Police Saga.

Post by Maywalk on Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:06 am

This is another story pulled out of my book for my family. It isnt a spooky one but more a battle of rights.

I cant remember whether I have told the story of my fracas with the police in 1973.
However if I haven’t here it is.

Hubby and myself with my son lived in a council maisonette in the 1970s which was a house built on top of a bed sitter housing an elderly person.
There were six maisonettes and six bedsitters in each block with three single bedroomed flats at the end. I had to climb two flights of stone steps to get to my front door.

Hubby used to work shifts and it was one evening in the October when I came home from work after calling to get four bags of shopping I walked along the back of the block and I saw through the evening gloom this rod sticking out of the tarmac with an orange flag on it.
I was extremely cross about this because an elderly person who could not see very well could have gone all their length if they had walked into it.
I dropped my shopping and wriggled the rod out and threw it over the council wall in my temper.
When I got to my front door my hubby who was on the early shift and had finished at 2pm opened the door to take the bags off me.
He asked me if I was OK and I said “No I am not I am very cross because I have just pulled a b***dy rod out of the tarmac along the path because some boiled a**ehole had banged it in and one of the old folk could fall over it and break their neck.”

The look of utter horror on my hubbys face would have made a darn good picture as he said “B***dy hell Maisie the surveyors have been here since before I came home trying to get the site for the new police station. Its taken them all afternoon to get the right position for the marker.”

This tickled me to death to think I had upset the plans of those who had spent all afternoon marking out where the police station was to go. I was against it being built on a green belt anyway.
I defended myself by saying that I was thinking about the older folk if anyone had bad eyesight and walked into it.

This was the beginning of the police saga although no one ever found out who it was that threw the flag over the council wall.

The work went ahead with building the police station on the green belt that was at the front of the block of maisonettes and the stupid berks who had designed it put up a ten foot wall to stop folk nosing over there.

They had not got the sense to realise that my front door alone was 20 foot off the ground and I could see everything from my kitchen window what was going off and what prisoners they brought in.

When they finally got established I started getting their messages coming over my TV saying “Bravo Bravo” and then where abouts they were heading.

I was hopping mad about this because at that time it was £25 for a colour TV licence and with having my programmes interrupted I was not a happy bunny.

I started copying down the time date and where they were heading for and I intended getting something sorted out.

Hubby was not so riled up about it as I was because he was very often at work till midnight and he never watched TV very much.
I phoned the Chief Constable and I nearly went blue when he said that we could be prosecuted for receiving their call outs.

This got my back up and was like a red rag to a bull because the aerial was nothing to do with us it was put in by the council.
All this sort of thing came under the Post Office at that time and I phoned our main depot and asked for the man in charge. I explained why I had called and he said that something was wrong because I should not be getting police car call outs on my TV. He said he would get in touch with the Home Office and it started the ball rolling.

One dinner time when I got home from work a chap knocked at the door and said that he was from the Home Office and had come about my complaint. As luck would have it Cliff was in and had the TV on.
While the chap was talking to me a police car was called out on a job and the message came over the TV loud and clear. The chappie shot outside on to the veranda and got the number of the car as it came through the police court yard. I showed the chappie the three sheets of data that I had collected since it started and he said to hang on to them because they could be needed.

From then on it was all systems go.

On the following Sunday morning I was still in my housecoat having had my bath when my hubby called up the stairs “Maisie you have a visitor. A Chief Superintendant Barker.”
I came downstairs and asked him what he wanted.
He said that he had been told that I had three sheets of written evidence about the trouble the police cars had caused and could he borrow them to take a photostat copy of them.

I said 'Yes' but I wanted them back by noon because we were going out for lunch. He promised they would be brought back by that time so I went and got them for him.

As I handed them to him I said “Don’t forget that they are my property on loan.”

As he looked at the written pages he said very seriously “You should have been a detective.”

He said he couldn’t undstand WHY it was just my TV that was getting the trouble.
I told him that I thought there were more folk having problems BUT they were too scared to take on the police.

He laughed and said "Well you are not are you?" I said "NO I wasn't because I was damned if I was paying for a colour licence to have the picture spoilt by police messages."

The pages of evidence were back in my hands at 11-50am the same morning.

A week later I had a letter to say that the Home Office had ordered the police to change their radio frequency and the Chief Constable would like Cliff and myself to go to the station to have tea with him.

Quite a few tales to tell about the police and and some of the neighbours what went off while living in that maisonette.
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk

http://www.memorylanehf.oddquine.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

A Police Saga.  Empty Re: A Police Saga.

Post by Tan on Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:18 am

Wow, you showed them what you were made of, good for you and what a ball you started rolling, once you got your teeth into this there was nothing stopping you, well done.
I was laughing away regarding the post you pulled up, was it hard to do? hehe..
Did you ever feel like being a detective when your son grew up as I bet you would have got a lot sorted out and fast as well..Very Happy

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:36 am

Betty is here at the moment, my carer and neighbour, she just popped in to raid my button box and cotton tub, hehe..
I was giggling away here when I was reading your story and I told her, she laughed too and said 'Good on you'.
She was saying that close to the town at one time, several years back now that an Army Barracks was built on a site close to some Scandinavian Flats and local to many houses too, all the people living there were naturally up in arms about it as they would hear them all when they were outside doing the 'drill' etc..
No one liked to complain but they were all fed up.
Anyway it seems one day a man locally was sat in his car due to it needed a 'tow', his son had been asked to come out and help him, so he just sat in the car waiting, just after about 10 minutes, 2 cars pulled up and demanded to know what he was sat there for as he was thought to be a concern to the Army men there...
Well, that man burst out laughing, but those two men did not see the funny side, the man in the car said something like 'What, you are all scared of me?'...
He had to prove who he was and where he lived before they finally left him there. Word got around to the neighbours, many then decided to speak out, lot's complained, in the end another barracks was built and they all moved into there, which was just on the outskirts of the town there...

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Maywalk on Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:44 am

Glad to know they got it sorted out Tanooma.

The trouble is many in local authorities make decisions WITHOUT consulting those who will have the inconvenience to put up with.
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:49 am

Exactly and it's totally unfair as like what happened there for you at that time, surely the powers that be who built the barracks there should have known that it was not an acceptable place to have built it in the first place. Seems originally the building there had been a small factory where bedding and towels were made..

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Maywalk on Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:25 am

The mind boggles Tanooma. A Police Saga.  2835949603
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:23 pm

Yep, a good word there Maywalk, wow the powers that be at times really have us boggled.A Police Saga.  391610 .. and to think they get paid to cause as much mayhem as possible, wonder if they have any vacancies?.A Police Saga.  448901

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Joelle on Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:41 pm

Maywalk wrote:Glad to know they got it sorted out Tanooma.

The trouble is many in local authorities make decisions WITHOUT consulting those who will have the inconvenience to put up with.

Well done with that Maisie, taking on the police and all.
We had a similar thing where they were going to build 12, 3 bedroomed family houses with hardly any garden (open plan) right up to our complex of sheltered housing which would have resulted in noise, children playing in the street and no parking facilities etc. There are quite a few really elderly and infirm residents here and one lady would have had a brick wall of a house just a few feet from her lounge window.I wrote to the paper, the local MP (Sam and I went to see him) Chairman of the council etc and we all had a meeting with the other residents but they said they thought it would go ahead, they had kept quiet about it until they were nearly ready for building .Thankfully it didn't go through though, but without our campaigning it would have done.
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle

http://www.pamspoetry.yolasite.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Maywalk on Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:38 am

WELL DONE Joelle.
It needs folk to stand up for themselves because otherwise they get walked all over by the authorities.

As for the policing I am appalled at the goings on with them at the present time and all the scandal concerned with Scotland Yard of all places. A Police Saga.  396108 A Police Saga.  3209696555
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk

Back to top Go down

Post by Joelle on Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:15 am

Yes it does seem as those in high places are all corrupt, and we are supposed to trust them and give them our support. More and more comes to light, seems they will do anything for money.
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle

http://www.pamspoetry.yolasite.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Maywalk on Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:46 am

My brother must be turning over in his grave because he used to be with the Metropolitan Police. A Police Saga.  139109
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down