Do You REMEMBER?

Go down

Do You REMEMBER? Empty Do You REMEMBER?

Post by Joelle on Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:56 am

Does anyone remember how in the old days in large department stores, the different departments had counters and you would ask for what you wanted and the sales assistant would bring out the different things for you to see.When you paid for anything it was in cash, no credit cards then (unless you had an account at the store) and they would put your money in a cylinder and pop it into a thing at the side and then it would woosh and speed up and along to the casheirs office who would put any change and the receipt back in the cylinder and send it back.
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle

http://www.pamspoetry.yolasite.com

Back to top Go down

Do You REMEMBER? Empty Re: Do You REMEMBER?

Post by June on Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:46 pm

I remember. We had one high-class shop like that in Bury on Silver Street.

It was furnished inside with lovely mahogany shelves and counter. It was a delicatessen; long gone now.
June
June
June
June

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:16 pm

I don't remember those cylinders but I have heard about them, useful too..
Like is said in those days cash was paid, if we didn't have enough, we would save some more, at least we could sleep and not worry that due to a bank card we are so in debt..

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:21 am

I got to thinking just now about all the things at home when I was little, like the saucepans for drums, much to the 'not amusements of my mum and dad, hehe, but like a draped curtain over two chairs for a drum, a shed for a play room, dressing up in mums clothes and liking the clicking sound from wearing her shoes.
Making the paper chains with the different coloured strips and sticking them together, feeling so proud of myself when dad put that up in the ceiling.

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Joelle on Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:02 am

Yes Tan I did all those things. When we had a hot day my mum would put her clothes horse outside and cover it with an old sheet and I had my tent den. I loved dressing up too and the paper strips were magic at Christmas time. I remember at school taking an empty cocoa tin and covering it with a piece of wallpaper and then putting some of those wooden spills in it as pipe lighters, my granddad usually got that and e kept it in their hearth.

I wonder where Maisie is, I hope she is alright.
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:11 am

Yes I so hope Maisie is okay, just hope she is resting and all is well.

I remember taking an empty tin of tobacco that my grandad gave to me for my crayons at school, when I opened it there it made me feel comforted as the smell reminded me of home.

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Joelle on Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:46 am

That is lovely Tan,smells are so potent for memory. I can still remember going back to school after the long holiday and the smell in the classroom, I think it must have been linseed oil that they used for the desks or floors.
L'aiment perfume always reminds me of my mum, when she could afford any she always had that, in a little black bottle, it was a cream I think. Whisky always reminds me of my late husband as that is what he used to drink. Cigars remind me of Christmas as mum always bought Dad one to have after our dinner.and so on.....
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:06 am

It's amazing isn't it how smells and sounds a lot of times can whisk us back in time, and for many a lot of lovely memories to re-live again.

I can still feel a nice warmth when I smell toast, as my family would sit often by the open fire to make the toast, such a lovely memorable atmosphere as well.

Our Maisie has been able to pop on since, so hopefully all is okay..

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by nordog on Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:38 am

I remember the money Canisters wizzing around. Mum took me to the Bristol Hippodrome way back in the 50's to see a panto once. Two well known comedians of the time starred in it about Ghost's the bit I remember is the time they are in a bedroom getting read for bed. One would put his shirt on a hook and you would see it zip up the wall and along the ceiling and so on, until they were so frighten that they jumped into bed with there trousers on. It was for children!
nordog
nordog
Nordog
Nordog

Back to top Go down

Post by June on Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:59 am

The smell that brings back memories to me is that of leather as when I was little my dad worked with leather.
June
June
June
June

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:25 pm

When I smell cut grass I always think back to when I was around 8, I was sitting on a little part of the grass making daisy chains and dad was pushing the lawn-mower cutting it all, it was a lovely smell..

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:52 am

Yes i can remember all the things that have been mentioed.

We had like a drapers shop in our high Street called Trebles.

They had a cannister thing that went up to the ceiling and ran across the shop into the cashiers office.We sat on the high chair at the counter waiting for the change to come back.

When you think back, the old things were a lot safer than to-days modern things.

L aimant perfume, i still use that today.

Its one of my favourites.

Another old fashion thing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:57 am

It's so lovely and fresh the L aimant perfume, my Grandma used to use it and I certainly do at times, I like the black bottle with the cream perfume in, as not keen at all on the perfume spray.

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Nemo on Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:21 am

I cant remember the shop serving you but even now in Tesco's they have the vaccum tubes they put paper money in a can and pop it in i think to reduce the money in the tills ,
It must have been intimidating asking and the assistant bringing things didnt you feel obliged then to buy as you couldnt browse at all,
I think saw dust and the smell of wood is a favourite my Brother and me spent many hours wooding for fire wood in the woods i loved it and later with doing woodwork i had a lovely workshop that i could just sit in it was so nice a very worked in workshop and made loads in there ,
Captain Nemo
Captain Nemo
~ God Bless you our Captain Nemo ~
~ God Bless you our Captain Nemo ~

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:57 pm

I think they were called phematic (spelling - yikes!) tubes?

We didn't have them in our stores here but I worked in an office that had that system and always wished the things tucked into them had a camera so we could see their journey!

But I remember the days of no credit cards, well - in fact, remember getting my first one in the mail from my bank and wondering what on earth it was - gentle smile.

As a child, I simply signed for anything in a store and my Father paid for it later ... and as an young adult we simply wrote cheques or paid cash - now, there isn't any place I know of that will take a personal cheque.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down