Life’s rewind button

Go down

Life’s rewind button Empty Life’s rewind button

Post by Victorsmate on Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:23 am

Life’s rewind button

There is a life rewind button.

No it is not a mechanical or electronic device, it requires a memory, a focused memory, and a glass, or two, of your favourite beverage. You need to make sure that your forward thinking is firmly switched off because that way can trigger pain and grief. Then you can recall some of the better moments of your past life. Some will be but a short recall others much longer. Some will be but a fleeting memory other will be enduring.

I will over the next few weeks post some of my recollections and I invite you all to join in should you wish to.
Victorsmate
Victorsmate
VM
VM

http://www.gristfromthemill.politicaledge.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Life’s rewind button Empty Re: Life’s rewind button

Post by Victorsmate on Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:24 am

A Sunday Walk by the river

Sitting here with a glass of red wine and the lights low firmly grasping my imaginary life rewind button I recall a boring, really boring, rainy Sunday. I had been demobbed after serving my two years National Service. I was the first out, my friends were still scattered to the four winds.

After our traditional Sunday high tea the rain had cleared and with a bright evening in prospect I donned my newly acquired sports jacket and headed out for a walk along the river. I walked past the “hosses field” where the Co-op dairy grazed their horses after their stint pulling milk floats. A field which in my pre National Service days had seen many an epic football and cricket match. Down the footpath to the river and then with my Sports jacket hooked over my finger slung over my shoulder I walked along the rain fresh river path singing what I could remember of a song that seemed to fit my mood

“Say what you will
The countryside is still
The only place that I could settle down
Troubles there are so much rarer
Out of town.”

If there had been any justice in this world I would have met a beautiful young lassie but there isn’t and I didn’t. Just a swift half of Cobnut Brown in the Wild Man and back home for supper.
Victorsmate
Victorsmate
VM
VM

Back to top Go down

Post by Joelle on Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:38 am

Hello again Victorsmate. Now you said you would like constructive criticism but really there isn't any. The short story is delightful and I remember the song too! I love the idea of Life's rewind button and look forward to reading more of your memories.
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle

http://www.pamspoetry.yolasite.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Alan on Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:19 am

Brilliant, Victorsmate, Brilliant, and that is about as much constructive criticism that I can manage. Really, you are truely gifted, and please keep these short stories coming. cheers

"To know an elephant is to be touched by him - these gentle giants humble mankind. He is nature's greatest Masterpiece." John Donne - Poet
Alan
Alan
Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:34 am

Such a lovely thought of a rewind button, we all have one, and press it at various times in our life, lovely moments to live through again, many sad of course, but that is what life is all about.
How lovely walking along the path there, so free too.
I look forward also to reading more of your stories Victorsmate.

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Nemo on Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:36 pm

Well Victors Mate i have read you in the Writing section and was impressed and again here you have a very good style of writing thankyou and as said i hope you write more my only criticism is the recollections were over to soon i could have read much longer thankyou , avat10
Captain Nemo
Captain Nemo
~ God Bless you our Captain Nemo ~
~ God Bless you our Captain Nemo ~

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorsmate on Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:27 am

A Night at the Jazz Club

Sitting here with a glass of red wine and the lights low firmly grasping my imaginary life rewind button and Chris Barber playing softly on the hi-fi I remember a night at the Jazz Club in an upstairs room over the Kings Arms in the Thoroughfare in Ipswich. My Gina who was a student at Art College at the time was, as usual, with me. There was a craze in the club for bow ties as a sort of unofficial member’s badge and most of the young men sported a butterfly at their throat.

On this night Kenny who was, as was said at the time simple, loved his jazz and was always in attendance taught us all a lesson.

During the playing of “down by the Riverside” someone, I think it was Tucker offered Kenny a mic whereupon Kenny proved himself vocally to be a damn good jazz singer in the George Melly mould. I remember after that Kenny had a vocal spot almost every week. Another lesson learnt everyone has a talent you’ve just got to look for it.
Victorsmate
Victorsmate
VM
VM

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:32 am

Yes so true, we all have a hidden talent, just some find it early in their life and others later, but it's there, just waiting to burst out.

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorsmate on Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:24 am

A Trip to London

Sitting here with a glass of red wine and the lights low firmly grasping my imaginary life rewind button I remember a day out to see a show in London. It promised to be an enjoyable day but turned out to be a red-letter day that would change my life. We joined the coach outside All Saints Church for it was the Youth Fellowship that organized the trip. The journey was unremarkable and we arrived in time for a wander round before finding somewhere to eat. I found myself in the company of Keith, his girl friend Jean and her very attractive friend. We went to a small restaurant in Frith Street where we had a giant salad and crusty rolls. Then it was off to see “Pieces of Eight”. On the coach journey back home Keith asked if we could change our seats so he could sit with Jean which left me sitting with Jean’s friend. After chatting awhile she feel asleep on my shoulder naturally I put my arm round her. Later I walked her home. This young lady’s name? Gina. Soon to be My Gina.
Victorsmate
Victorsmate
VM
VM

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:02 am

Aww, how lovely, that meet was written to happen, such a really nice start of a couples life ahead.

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Joelle on Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:16 pm

What a lovely memory Victorsmate
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:01 pm

Victorsmate wrote:
A Trip to London

Sitting here with a glass of red wine and the lights low firmly grasping my imaginary life rewind button I remember a day out to see a show in London. It promised to be an enjoyable day but turned out to be a red-letter day that would change my life. We joined the coach outside All Saints Church for it was the Youth Fellowship that organized the trip. The journey was unremarkable and we arrived in time for a wander round before finding somewhere to eat. I found myself in the company of Keith, his girl friend Jean and her very attractive friend. We went to a small restaurant in Frith Street where we had a giant salad and crusty rolls. Then it was off to see “Pieces of Eight”. On the coach journey back home Keith asked if we could change our seats so he could sit with Jean which left me sitting with Jean’s friend. After chatting awhile she feel asleep on my shoulder naturally I put my arm round her. Later I walked her home. This young lady’s name? Gina. Soon to be My Gina.

Haven't had a chance to catch up in our Poetry or Writing section yet - but just came across this and how I loved reading how you met your Gina - magic was surely with you both that day and thanks so very much in sharing this great story!

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorsmate on Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:23 pm

The Clock Tower

Sitting here with a glass of red wine and the lights low firmly grasping my imaginary life rewind button I recall a day from my teen years. I am with two friends in the long hot summer holiday. We are in Christchurch Park in the round seated stand under the clock tower atop of the big hill much used for sledging during a snowy winter. However today it is hot and Norman has with him his garden shed key. It was a week or so ago that we discovered, by pure chance, that this key fitted the lock to the clock tower and today we were going to put this to use in the first of a series of jolly japes.

Every day at about this time an elderly gentleman walking stick in one hand and an oblong wicker shopping basket in the other would approach the Clock Tower from the direction of the town and stop hook his walking stick over his arm, put down his shopping basket and then remove a half hunter from his waistcoat, a very unsuitable garb for the heat of a summer’s day, and check his timepiece with the four faced clock on the tower and then adjust and wind it before returning it to his waistcoat pocket.

Today would be different. An out of breath John arrived “he’s coming” he said gasping for breath. Norman unlocked the clock tower door and swung it open I reached inside and changed the time by five minutes. Up come the elderly gentleman and hooking his walking stick over his arm before putting down his shopping basket he removed his half hunter from his waistcoat and checked his timepiece with the four faced clock on the tower. We could hear him “tut-tut” as he adjusted and wound it before returning it to his waistcoat pocket. The elderly gentleman picked up his shopping basket and strolled on towards the large imposing houses bordering the North side of the park. Most days for a couple of weeks we played the same trick on the elderly gentleman, and becoming more daring, would alter the clock by up to twenty minutes fast or slow until by the end of the fortnight we first became sorry for the elderly gentleman and his unfailing belief in the accuracy of the four faced clock in the tower and then, not many days later, we became ashamed of ourselves. Norman, John and I never went to the Clock Tower again. A good memory and one of my first lessons in compassion.
Victorsmate
Victorsmate
VM
VM

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:38 am

We all get up to some mischief, many giggles along the way while young, but not out to hurt anyone like many are known to do these days, I often think when those look back, when they have matured, if they will be able to live with themselves after what they did, and all that they caused to happen in many peoples lives..

Lovely descriptions here, so nice to read, and I could imagine how he was dressed and all that was around to see..

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Joelle on Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:06 am

It is amazing when we look back at what we did in our youth. I can remember my late husband telling me that he and his friend used to go into a village sweet shop and ask for something from the topshelf, the old chap there would climb his steps, get the jar down, weigh out the sweets, put the jar back and take the money, then the other one would say erm... I think I'll have a quarter of those too. They thought at the time it was so funny but like you after a while felt a bit ashamed of themselves and stopped doing it.
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorsmate on Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:38 am

Picnic on the Heath

Sitting here with a glass of red wine and the lights low firmly grasping my imaginary life rewind button I recall a picnic with my fiancee, My Gina, and her parents.

This is no ordinary picnic. Gina’s mummy has this splendid “Hyacinth Bucket” picnic hamper. This consisted of not one but two wicker hamper style baskets, one with all the containers for the food complete with serving implements and two thermos flasks The other basket contained a bone china service set and proper silver plated cutlery. It was times like this when it felt like we had been transported back to the 1930s. It was a hot, dry day, we seemed to have an abundance of days like that that summer. We sat round the gingham tablecloth munching on cucumber and tomato sandwiches with a glass of white wine. After awhile Gina and I wandered off to pick blackberries and to steal a few kisses away from prying eyes. Simple pleasures in innocent times,
Victorsmate
Victorsmate
VM
VM

Back to top Go down

Post by Joelle on Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:37 am

How lovely Victorsmate, such happy memories and that picnic hamper soudns fantastic too. Must have made any picnic very special.
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:47 pm

I can just imagine sitting there and enjoying the picnic, such lovely memories for sure..

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by June on Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:41 pm

Simple pleasures are the best and no reason why we can't still enjoy them now Flower
June
June
June
June

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down