Things you remember from your childhood days

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Things you remember from your childhood days Empty Things you remember from your childhood days

Post by Guest on Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:17 am

I think I am probably the oldest in this forum and I can remember a lot of rhings - so I'm sure all of you can.

I remember we used to live in Stratford on Avon and we left there when I was four so all memories from Stratfod are pre-school days.

Our back garden used to go down to a field where we used to go early in the mornings and pick mushrooms. I used to go into this field by myself and meet a little boy who lived further along the road. We used to go to his house and he always had a lot of tins of potato crisps in his kitchen. We used to take a packet each and go back into the field to eat them.

It always puzzled me why he had so many tins of crisps in his kitchen. Many years later I mentioned this to my mother and she said he lived in a pub...so there's the answer............

Last edited by Poppy on Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:48 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Things you remember from your childhood days Empty Re: Things you remember from your childhood days

Post by Guest on Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:33 am

I lived in a pub during school holidays so not pre school. Those crisp tins were stacked high and I liked opening them because you ran your nail around the paper to break the seal, I liked that noise Things you remember from your childhood days Icon_biggrin

As for pre school memories I have lots but the one that sticks in my memory is being given a 'fuzzy felt board' to keep me occupied while my Mum and half the street watched the coronation in 53.

That night my Dad walked up the garden path and hit his head on a nail sticking out of the clothes pole.............years later when I was an adult I mentioned this to my mum and she told me he had really been in a fight down his local.........happy days Things you remember from your childhood days Icon_biggrin

Back to top Go down

Things you remember from your childhood days Empty Re: Things you remember from your childhood days

Post by Guest on Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:13 am

I think most parents hide the truth from their children quite a bit Radcliffe.

I remember being caught in a cloudburst, must have been about three as my sister hadn't started school. My mother had us both in a pushchair but didn't have time to get our raincoats out from the bag. She pulled us both close to her legs and covered us with her skirt. The rain really hurt as it was so heavy. A policeman came and put his arms around the three of us and covered us all with his cape.

When the rain eased off we went home. The rain was running in the front door, straight through the house and out the back door..............

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:29 am

She pulled us both close to her legs and covered us with her skirt. The rain really hurt as it was so heavy. A policeman came and put his arms around the three of us and covered us all with his cape.

How sweet is that.......what a lovely memory Poppy Things you remember from your childhood days Icon_biggrin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:36 am

I am sure other members must have lovely memories too.

Maybe they will tell us soon.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:09 pm

Aw, that was so lovely Poppy and a lovely caring mum you had!.. Things you remember from your childhood days Icon_biggrin

I can remember a lot too, and a time I was playing out and mum called me to say to come in, and she was stood further up the lane with her arms wide open, and I ran like nothing on earth into her arms, she pulled me close and I nestled into her hair!.

Another time in Torquay my Auntie took me to the bus stop on the lane, there was no protection from the howling winds except a few hedges, it was freezing, she opened her coat and I stood with my back to her peeping out from the gap in the coat, when the bus came I remember saying 'lets get on', but it took Auntie a few minutes to be able to move as she was obviously so cold, bless her.
After that day when it was so cold my Uncle used to take me in the car!..

I also remember at that same time while staying with them, of walking up the long drive way from Sladnor Park there was a noise like a baby crying, the more I listened the louder the crying, so I ran back to tell my Uncle there was a baby crying in the woods, he rushed back with me but we went up the other side to get into the woods, and we followed the noise, it got louder and louder, but luckily for one it wasn't a baby as we really both thought it was, but sadly it was a cat that was caught in a trap that the man down in the bottom field had set, he was wrong to do that, but it seems he did it often to try and catch rabbits!..
Anyone who has heard a cat in great distress and pain knows that the sound does resemble that of a baby crying!..
My Uncle at first was wary, but then he said for me to say calming words to the cat and he would do his best to remove the trap, he managed, then the cat started to limp really badly away, Uncle said he would follow it and I had to go home, all the way back I was staring at the ground as I was frightened that I too would step on a trap, luckily there were no more there!..
When uncle got home he said he followed it all the way to it's home and then knocked to tell the owners, there was a hue and cry as the man who set the traps was severely told not to do that anymore, seems he eventually moved on!..

Things you remember from your childhood days LF6Thi1 Things you remember from your childhood days NIxv1QOThings you remember from your childhood days E2ONOPTThings you remember from your childhood days GtSfErM    Things you remember from your childhood days ORQ4u1rThings you remember from your childhood days Smilie_xmas_568  bow
Tan
Tan
TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:38 am

What a horrible thing for a little girl to see - a poor cat caught in a trap. No wonder the memory has stayed with you.

When I was about four I remember my mother and I went out the back door, opened the tall side gates so my Dad could drive in and then went to meet my sister from school. After we met her, the three of us went to meet my Dad in the town and he would drive us all home.
When we reached our house my Dad asked my Mum why she hadn't opened the side gates and she said she had. He said she couldn't have done as they were shut. He went to open the gates but said they were bolted on the inside - he said again that we must have come out the front door. Then he asked her for the key to the front door. She said she only had the back door key as we came out that way. In the end he removed his own bunch of keys from the car and went to open the front door so he could go through the house, out the back and open the tall gates. Then he would be able to drive in. As he opened the front door I heard a lot of shouting and my Dad ran in the house.
It turned out there were two men in the house - they had broken in and were taking what they wanted. They ran out the back door, with my Dad chasing them. They escaped by running across the field at the end of our garden.
Then my Dad let us all in after the men had gone. My sister and I both cried as the men had taken our money boxes which were like little books and they had been in the bookcase amongst other books. There was a sheet laid out on the settee and all the things they had planned to take were on it. My mother's jewellery, a silver plated teaset, my mother's silver plated mirror, all our cutlery and a lot of ornaments. In fact the only things they had taken was our two little money boxes.

If we had come home just a bit later they would have made off with all the stuff on the settee.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:44 am

One hot summer mam and her friend decided to make a picnic and take me and friend's son to the beach. While they were making the sandwiches etc. Peter and I went outside to play, sat on the edge of the pavement and played in the melting tar. Things you remember from your childhood days 892246 What a mess we were! Picnic was delayed while they smeared us in butter to remove the tar. Things you remember from your childhood days Icon_lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:55 am

Blimey Poppy, so sorry to hear this and so saddening it must have been for you and to have had your money boxes stolen, this more than likely made you feel so unsafe for a while as the thought maybe that the men would come back!..
So pleased though that dad came in when he did and the losses weren't greater!..

I was broken into years ago when I shared a flat with my friend, there were several flats in a row and we were on the end one, they broke in through the kitchen window and left havoc, they had tipped a full bottle of vimto over the place and followed that with a near full box of Ready brek Porridge, it was a mess, sadly too they ripped up all my 21st birthday cards, seems the police thought it was youngsters maybe thinking that as it was early new year that there would be a lot of new items for them to steal, they didn't really take a lot but they took much more than that, and that was our feeling of security there, we felt invaded, so I went to live back home for a while and my flat mate went on to share with another girl!..

Last edited by Tanooma on Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:58 am; edited 1 time in total

Things you remember from your childhood days LF6Thi1 Things you remember from your childhood days NIxv1QOThings you remember from your childhood days E2ONOPTThings you remember from your childhood days GtSfErM    Things you remember from your childhood days ORQ4u1rThings you remember from your childhood days Smilie_xmas_568  bow
Tan
Tan
TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:56 am

Oooo, you mucky pair, hehe, bet your mam wasn't too pleased Bonnie.. Things you remember from your childhood days Icon_eek

Tan
Tan
TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:41 am

Er, no, not too pleased especially as I was wearing a white dress. Things you remember from your childhood days Icon_wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:49 am

Ooops!.... Things you remember from your childhood days Icon_eek Things you remember from your childhood days Icon_wink

Tan
Tan
TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:06 pm

What wonderful memories and thanks ever so much for sharing them!

I, like most, have so many memories of being small but the one that still touches my heart is my Grandfather. I absolutely adored this man - and he was my "bestest friend".

He lived next door and every morning when the sun came up, I'd run across the fields with my dog and he's meet me at his door, always pretending my arrival was a huge surprise.

And every morning, even in the rain, off we'd go to play in the forest - a flask of tea for him and one filled with hot chocolate for me.

One morning, my Grandpa didn't open the door. Instead my Grandma did - and told me that "during the night the Angels came and took him away".

I remember being furious with the Angels and demanding they bring my Grandpa back - and getting a good whooping on the butt (understandably).

But when we, my Mother and Aunts and other family members went to the Funeral Home, they all started crying and in need of the gentlemen to hold them up .... I saw a big pretty box, stood on the chair beside it and magic had happened. For there was my beloved Grandpa - simply sleeping.

And yes, I crawled in with him and tried to wake him up - my Grandma and a couple Aunts fainted and I was declared the most evil child in the world.

I share this so we can all gently laugh together - for always, always no matter how hard it is, it's better to tell a child the truth. And all these years later, I like to think my Grandpa was looking down and smiling at how much I loved him and knew no 'evil' as intended at all.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:38 am

Thankyou for telling us this about when you lost your Grandad.
You must have been devastated and also very confused.
I believe in telling the truth to children - no matter how hard it is to explain.

I have just posted a poem which I wrote - about when my son was three and a bit, he lost his Grandad and I tried to explain to him.

You might like to read it and comment in the Poetry Thread.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:53 am

Another memory I have is when I was about three. My sister hadn't started school and she is older than me.

There were two little girls who lived opposite us and just a short way along the road. The four of us often used to play together My sister and I would be four and three, the other little girls were a bit younger, maybe three and a half and two. Our mother often took us across the road to play with them and their mother brought them across to play with us. On this occasion the two little girls were with us.

The youngest little girl wanted to go to the loo but wanted to go home to do it. She decided to cross the road by herself and the three of us were holding her back. Suddenly she wriggled free and ran into the road - straight in front of a coal lorry. The lorry knocked her down and we all shouted out. The lorry stopped with her underneath it.

My mother came out, crossed my sister and the other little girl over the road and told them to go and fetch the other mother. The coalmen got the little girl out from under the lorry, her face was covered in blood but she wasn't crying. They carried her into the kitchen and laid her on the kitchen table. My mother was bathing her face and everyone was very quiet. Then suddenly she screamed and started to cry. My mother said, "Thank God" and I couldn't understand why she was pleased that the little girl cried.

Of course they all thought she was dead until that point but I wasn't old enough to understand at the time. I often wondered why she wouldn't go in and use our toilet. She had used it before. Thinking back on the facts, maybe she was wearing a nappy and couldn't manage by herself. We were all very small.

Back to top Go down

Post by honeybee on Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:47 am

Such beautiful beautiful stories.... To share such wonderful memories, some sad some happy.
I really have no memories of pre-school. I was just saying to my daughter, I never went to pre-school. I know we could not afford it. My dad was a miner. One thing I do remember through my childhood. My father never hugged my elder sister or I. My mum was very for her children. Did everything for us? I was actually vert weary of my father. I recall, I was not at the table, for dinner. We ate at 5pm every night. I was playing in the backyard with my imaginary friend. We were playing school. I came round the corner and he was waiting at the front door with a belt. He hit me that I peed in my pants. I dont recall my dad ever hitting my elder sister as she made sure she stuck to every rule.
I was never late for dinner again.
It is strange when I got married and baldy and my dad got on so well. He thought I had a wonderful father. Well when dad got very ill. The one who was at his bedside in his last few hours was baldy and me
I often wonder if my mum scolded my dad for hitting me so viciously.
I and baldy always hugged our 3 children, they always were on there dads lap. I recall smacking the two girls once. They had really told a big lie. But I never scarred them.
My mum always made the excuse that my dad was not affectionate because the world war 2 just made him into a hard man.
My younger sister who was born long after my elder sister and I .
Strange how I am always hugging my granchildren and children to this day. Michaela who is adopted. well she is showered with love from the day she was born. She was actually my first grandchild and my elder daughter had severe Pst Natal depression. They asked if I would look after her for awhile. Baldy was away on business. he came back and we said to the father. What are you going to do. He said I am leaving. WE then discussed situation with my daughter and she signed Michaela over to us and we legally adopted her. Her biological mother is now her sister.
I work to help baldy in trying to give Michaela a good education . She has rewarded us with such love and is a very stable child. She knows everything about the adoption. She just one day said. "Mom they can nver have me back" I showed her where the adoption papers are. She now will not discuss the adoption, she says . "I am the luckiest girl in the world"
She hears from her biological father very occasionally. We organised sometime last year as she said she wanted to see this person was. They met at our house under our supervison. The biological father asked then if he could have her for the weekend. We said fine, My elder daughter has remarried and has two boys. She still has fits of depression. Her husband though helps her alot.
honeybee
honeybee
Our Smilie Queen
Our Smilie Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:57 am

You are both wonderful parents and love oozes from you both, all your children know that you love them and that will follow then all through their life...
To fear our parents stops the bonding I feel, although the children will say they love them so much and they couldn't live without them, but deep inside they are only portraying that out of fear and the need to keep in their parents good books, that is not normal!.
The times I have heard that the child is so forgiving of what their parents did to them, only for years later when they cannot keep that charade up anymore does the true innerself come out and that is when the problems really start as the child (grown up) cannot handle the whole mixture of emotions, also that is the time when if they are going to speak out legally is the time that the parents are finally brought to task for the wrong doings that they did, but really that might give a form of closure for the mentally injured child it will never erase the memories of the fear and sheer terror of what they were put through by the very people that was there to love and protect them!..
Honeybee you have risen above that and shown that we all have a natural love in us, and you have given that to your husband and your children!...xxx

Tan
Tan
TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:01 am

What a frightening time and a wonderful story with such a happy ending - gives me the shivers just thinking how the ending could have been and how wonderful the little one was okay!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:24 am

Oh Honeybee, you must have been scared to death and in such pain.

I cannot imagine a full grown man wanting to use his belt on a little girl.

Maybe a few words in a strict voice would have done, but no, he had to really hurt you.

I am so pleased that my Dad was never like that to me.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:35 am

I think maybe at least once in every childs life there is a time that they were scared by their parents, not mainly aimed at them, but maybe the first time they heard an argument, or maybe they were indeed smacked, and maybe in those circumstances they will remember that it was a one off, but for those that were put through a terrible ordeal it does dig deep and can affect their progress in life, mainly the trust aspect is the main part that they suffer with, as they get to thinking if mum and dad have done such and such what does the world have waiting for me..

Tan
Tan
TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Nemo on Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:00 am

I couldnt and never have hit a Child , well when i was one i did , you know what i mean but there is no way i could hit a girl anyway my Parents were strict but fair and taught me right from wrong and that has been with me all my life so as Tanooma said equally Bad parents could easily instill many negative values , as so many Abusers were abused themselves i dont pretend to understand
Honeybee taking and adopting Michaela was a wonderful thing and she is a very Lucky Girl and knowing her own history and being open with it will stop any future wanting to know and she is growing up well balanced and adjusted,
As for your Dad strapping you for what is a very minor thing is horrible and cruel and my Father was in the war and it did kill so much of him as he showed no affection i cant remember any hugs or such from Mum or Dad but he was never unfair , Mum would chase me and always get a few wacks in , maybe the running was what wound her up more but it was never held against me , though i can recall sitting on the sofa when Dad came home and hoping i didnt hear my name mentioned Things you remember from your childhood days Icon_biggrin
Captain Nemo
Captain Nemo
~ God Bless you our Captain Nemo ~
~ God Bless you our Captain Nemo ~

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:37 pm

Aw, that was so sad hearing what you wrote at the end there Captain....I knew when I was in trouble as it was really the only time that mum or dad used my name, other than that I was called by numerous pet names, so when I heard Olga come here, or Olga I want a word, all I did first was a big gulp before slowly going to them!...

Tan
Tan
TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by honeybee on Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:18 am

Oi Poppy Tanbubs Cappy.... I think hugs are so important.
Oh wow I was gated so many times for trivial things.. ie late for supper. Onesunday I would not go to Sunday school. Ok, then gated for 1 week.
My father to me did not know what christianity was. YOU had to go to Sunday school. It was a must. I recall getting older and coming home, he said to my mom, Mrs Jones wore such a silly hat, or Mr Smith did not polish his shoes. I recall my sister and I saying. "Does dad just go to church to put on a front" You suppose to be humble" But he comes out and skinners about what people were wearing.
So In a nutshell when I was independant. I made from the time I got married a place in my garden where I pray. Laugh cry and just say hymns to myself.
Anything that concerns me or I have to be caring thought for someone. I go to my spot in the garden
As for hitting me. I think there was another time, I was however a very happy child. Loved everyone and still do. I did go through a terrible stage of being a recluse, I forced myself with the help of baldy to get over that. I am still though a very private person in my home and dislike people invading my space unannounced which is a very very bad thing
Baldy. Oh wow he talks to evryone and invites anyone into our home
honeybee
honeybee
Our Smilie Queen
Our Smilie Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:03 am

I am so pleased that you managed to get over a lot Honeybee and it does help as you have said if there is a loving partner there to help you through too!..
You may be a very private person as I think a lot of us are, me included in that, but what you bring to all your loving family and to all your friends here is like heaven on earth, your heart is open and you are more or less saying to everyone that you are sharing it with us all!..
You may have had the sadnesses on occassions at home as a child, but you have risen above that to be the lovely lady that we all know!.

We love you Sweetie, our lovely Smiley Queen!..xxx

Tan
Tan
TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:56 am

I think I must have been a naughty little girl in school - not wicked, just naughty. I was the smallest girl in the class and my friend Myra was next smallest. The two of us used to sit in the book cupboard during latin lessons as we hated latin. We always left a crack open so we could breathe, but once the teacher closed the cupboard and we couldn't get out until the lesson was over and one of the other girls opened the cupboard. We thought we were going to suffocate in there so didn't do that again. On another occasion we stood on the windowsill and wrapped the curtains around ourselves. Myra was one side and I was the other.

We used to play in the school trenches during the war although it was against the rules. Then we found that some younger girls had started to come into "Our" trenches. We took a little pencil torch each, stood on the benches and waited for the other girls to come in. Then we put our torches in our mouths, turned them on and made howling noises. The other girls ran out screaming. Then a story went round that the trenches were haunted. When it is dark and you put a torch in your mouth you get a most weird effect.....try it lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum