Things you remember from your childhood days

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Things you remember from your childhood days - Page 2 Empty Re: Things you remember from your childhood days

Post by Guest on Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:19 am

Poppy wrote:I think I must have been a naughty little girl in school - not wicked, just naughty. I was the smallest girl in the class and my friend Myra was next smallest. The two of us used to sit in the book cupboard during latin lessons as we hated latin. We always left a crack open so we could breathe, but once the teacher closed the cupboard and we couldn't get out until the lesson was over and one of the other girls opened the cupboard. We thought we were going to suffocate in there so didn't do that again. On another occasion we stood on the windowsill and wrapped the curtains around ourselves. Myra was one side and I was the other.

We used to play in the school trenches during the war although it was against the rules. Then we found that some younger girls had started to come into "Our" trenches. We took a little pencil torch each, stood on the benches and waited for the other girls to come in. Then we put our torches in our mouths, turned them on and made howling noises. The other girls ran out screaming. Then a story went round that the trenches were haunted. When it is dark and you put a torch in your mouth you get a most weird effect.....try it lol!

That sounds like a fun childhood Poppy apart from the Latin of course. I could never see the point of that unless you were going to go into law. Were the trenches ever used in anger during the war or was your school under a flight path to somewhere strategic and you had to use them incase bombs were dropped by your school? I used to play on bomb sites but being born in 1950 I never saw the war..........thankfully Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Things you remember from your childhood days - Page 2 Empty Re: Things you remember from your childhood days

Post by Guest on Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:44 pm

If an air-raid siren went during the day, when we were in school - we all had to line up with our gas masks and go into the trenches. Each class had an alphabetical list of the girls in that class. Each girl had to keep an eye on the girl before her in the alphabet. Then as soon as we were all seated we had to chant through the alphabet by surnames. For example "Allen absent, Archer" and the class mistress would check we were all there.

We did have some nasty air raids and I can remember loud explosions and the house shaking on several occasions. Then, when we went to school the next day we would see houses missing and all the bomb damage.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:46 pm

That must have been such a frightening experience for you as a child and I am sure adults too!.
To have heard all that what had gone on by my parents of what they saw when they were children was bad enough, so to actually have lived through it must have been horrendous!..
Although I have been told that many children sort of got used to it as day to day living, but that would have taken some getting used to!...
I recall my dad saying that locally the youngsters from around about the age of 9-11 and upwards were given the name of an elderly neighbour to go and check on, and my dad had two locally to him, luckily the people who dad looked out for were okay!.

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:10 am

Thanks for that Poppy it must have been awful for children. At Mums funeral earlier this year it was mentioned that when she was a WREN she was on Ryde pier when a German fighter started to shoot up the pier along its length. As there was nowhere to run her and her Wren friends dived under a glass shelter which was no better than useless. The plane went around twice and missed them both times so in a way I am lucky I am here to write this.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:27 am

I remember one particularly bad air-raid when a German bomber dropped a bomb under a railway bridge quite close to our house. It exploded the gas main, the electricity and the water. Our house shook and we all trembled. My sister shouted out, "Its on our house - its on our house" and I remember thinking that if it WAS on our house, we'd all be dead. After that raid we had a visit by royalty as it was the worst raid that England had had up till that point. The Germans said they had wiped out Gloucester but they hadn't touched Gloucester - they had bombed Cheltenham. Of course there were far worse raids to follow, but we didn't get any as bad as that again. We went out to investigate in the morning and the number of houses and shops which had gone was frightening.

As far as I was concerned the most scaring thing was when my Dad and I were out with our little goat cart and we were machine gunned in the street. That is another story.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:42 am

Machine gunned in the street that must have been so frightening. The closest I ever came to danger (in the 50s) was when I found a wooden box under my Nans stairs, opened it up and found what looked like hand grenades wrapped up in brown greasy paper. I have no idea if they were grenades but they soon went from under the stairs and none of the adults would tell me what they were so I still wonder today :?:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:56 am

Yes Ken, I was really scared. My Dad had taken me out in our little goat cart as I had trouble walking. Then suddenly we were being machine gunned. It was a school day and all other children were in school, so I was the only child. People all along the road threw their front doors open and invited anyone in the street to go inside. My Dad carried me into a house and then went back to fetch the terrified goat. He stood in the porch holding the goat but I was pushed further inside by others who came to shelter. After it all went quiet my Dad took the goat back to the cart. When I saw him returning I tried to go to him but my Dad told the others not to let me out. I had to wait a little while before he would let me go out. I often wondered whether anyone had been hit or possibly killed and they were waiting for an ambulance. My Dad would never tell me why I had to wait.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2