Fine China Ornaments

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Fine China Ornaments  - Page 2 Empty Re: Fine China Ornaments

Post by Captain Nemo on Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:07 pm

Tanooma Men can have some very strange ideas of decoration and ornaments , it sounds like your Uncle battled hard to get them put up and every chance she got your Aunt tried to take them down ,
A guys place for ornaments is a Garage if he is lucky or the Bastion of Manhood the garden shed ,
In the Garage he has to have the freezer and boxes of goodness knows what and unless he is very strong and adamant his final sanctuary, his shed, will have polished windows and lace curtains and be dusted as well , Wave 10
Captain Nemo
Captain Nemo
~ God Bless you our Captain Nemo ~

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:13 pm

Yes Captain I think my Uncle must have bribed my Auntie for them to go up in the first place, maybe chose the right moment, and then my Auntie would have regretted it..
I used to tease many times when I went there by saying 'Oh they do look so lovely', hehe, she would roll her eyes at me.. chuckles

Oh for sure, all sheds should have lace curtains up at the windows....erm, would you like me to make you some Captain?.. chuckles

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Nemo on Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:20 pm

Thankyou Tanooma I will measure up tomorrow ,
I would think those Heads were on a sort of rolling death sentence and your Uncles only defiant stand he could make but will have paid for it constantly ,
Many Men like to think they can add that finishing touch but they cant we totally lack colour coordination and style and through Dogged determination sit miserable in the gloomy dungeons of our own creation , chuckles
Captain Nemo
Captain Nemo

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:23 pm

Aww, but variety is the spice of life, you menfolk add that erm, now what shall I call it?, um, Panache and Style to homes.. chuckles

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Maywalk on Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:31 am

Mine isnt NICE Captain and one of the pigs has a chipped ear.

It belonged to my grandmother and I believe it was brought back from Germany when the First World War finished by my Granddad.

It has DRGM underneath with H.S. stamped underneath.

It went all through WW2 without a scratch but had the pigs ear damaged by one of my nephews well after WW2 finished. I would love to know more about it but can only relate what bit I know. Personally I think its rather ugly and I certainly DONT like the colour of the car but its another item that my granddaughter wants to stay in the family due to the history attached.

Fine China Ornaments  - Page 2 9s839v
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk

http://www.memorylanehf.oddquine.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:40 am

Such a long time it's been in your family, unscathed too all that while, shame it got that chip, but the ornament looks so cute with them all going for a ride out.. Very Happy

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Maywalk on Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:45 am

I would love to know more about the pigs even if I do think its ugly. Fine China Ornaments  - Page 2 3650816571

I also have one of these that belonged to my mother including the instructions that granddaughter wants to keep. I have put the whole page here so that you can read about it.

http://www.abesilverman.com/A1964.html

Apart from the above items I have two boxfuls of Swarovski crystal ornaments that I have had bought me over the years. I packed them away to keep them safe because I started getting clumsy with my fingers getting the cramp so rather than get them smashed I decided to box them up to keep them safe.
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:19 am

chuckles It's lovely though to find out more about ornaments we have..

Your Egg Coddler is so very nice, too lovely for sure to use as would have been done by so many who had these in the past.
I've never had a Coddled Egg..

The Swarovski crystal ornaments are so lovely, I have just looked at a few for sale on Ebay, a little rabbit, and a tortoise, also a horse and carriage, so very well made..

Such treasures you have tucked away there our Maisie.. Very Happy

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:58 am

What a great collection of birdies you're getting there, Captain ... it must be such fun to spot a special one and add it to your collection, and what a great price you get them for, too.

Maisie, the piggies going for a ride will be a perfect 'housewarming' gift for your lovely Granddaughter when she gets her first home - as will be the boxes of crystal ornaments, too!

Thinking of collections, have you polished your silver spoons lately, Tan? Fine China Ornaments  - Page 2 959621

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:48 am

Ooo, now you have reminded me our Mara binoculars I need to get them polished soon, have you got a spare duster, and a spare polishing hand?.. Very Happy

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:59 pm

I have just bought a Royal Worcester Coddler from Ebay, and bidding on another one, I will take a photo when I get them.. Very Happy
This is the photo of it from Ebay Fine China Ornaments  - Page 2 11085910

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:18 pm

Lucky you, Maisie - and lucky you now too, Tan, as egg coddlers are something one simply would never find here.

Here's a photo of the platter that we used every day for years and still
do once a week for our family dinners. No financial value, I shouldn't
think, but I love it and always have. (It's says 'Jenny Lind' on the back).
Fine China Ornaments  - Page 2 Dishes10

Back to top Go down

Post by Alan on Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:25 am

Good morning Mara, have a look at this, it seems that your platter is worth about US$90 Very Happy

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JENNY-LIND-11-3-4-INCH-PLATTER-ROYAL-STAFFORDSHIRE-/160281632995?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item255187a0e3

"To know an elephant is to be touched by him - these gentle giants humble mankind. He is nature's greatest Masterpiece." John Donne - Poet
Alan
Alan
Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:50 am

Such a lovely Platter our Mara, so like the colour and the picture design too.. Very Happy

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Maywalk on Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:29 am

Its lovely Mara.

Hang on to it even if it does not have any great value moneywise, it does have in memories.

Lovely keepsake for family.
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:58 am

Thank you Tan and Maisie - I too love the gentle pinks on it and all our girls treasure it as well, thankfully.

Gosh, I'd not thought to look on Ebay so what fun to see one just like it there, Bwana - thanks!

Actually, I do wish I had that one too as ours is what I think of as a turkey platter (about 18 or 20" long) and this smaller size would be ideal to have for a veggie platter, etc. Good find there, Bwana!

Back to top Go down

Post by Alan on Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:14 am

I am so happy to have been able to help in some small way, Mara Very Happy

"To know an elephant is to be touched by him - these gentle giants humble mankind. He is nature's greatest Masterpiece." John Donne - Poet
Alan
Alan
Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Nemo on Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:17 am

That is a pretty Coddler what a coddled egg is I havent a clue but now Tanooma can have two coddled eggs chuckles Mara your large server is lovely we used to have two one was white with a willow pattern transfer mind but it was big and a really big heavy white one but when Dad was at the Hospice he wanted to give it to them to serve there foods on but he said one of the staff took it and had it for herself so the Hospice didnt get it one of the staff had it , it was far to big for a small family and was heavy as well , Ele Unsure
Captain Nemo
Captain Nemo

Back to top Go down

Post by honeybee on Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:20 am

what beautiful china pieces.. each and every one. Just loved going through this thread Fine China Ornaments  - Page 2 791620 Fine China Ornaments  - Page 2 924131
honeybee
honeybee
Our Smilie Queen
Our Smilie Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:00 am

It really was a help and now realize one can use EBay to get a general value on most anything, Bwana.

Bummer than one of the staff took the heavy platter home with him or her ... it was gifted by your dear Dad to the Hospice not one of the workers - drat, drat, Captain.

It is fun isn't it, Honeybee ... I love to see other's treasures!

Back to top Go down

Post by Joelle on Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:25 am

The bird collection is lovely Captain, I love bird ornaments, I have one and will photo it later. I too did what some of you have done and when we moved I sorted out all the ornaments and just kept the ones I really cherish. I sold quite a few at auction, I had an old Royal Dux figurine that I sold on Ebay. I am going to look at Maisies now, the litle pigs car is lovely.Mara, your platter is pretty too, I had a huge one but it was blue and white but I gave it to a friend.
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle

http://www.pamspoetry.yolasite.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:40 pm

It would be great to see your collection of birds, too, Joelle!

I'm smiling just reading you too had a huge 'meat platter' but in blue and white. I found an entire set of the blue and white dishes in an old house I bought many years ago and gave them to my brother and his wife as they said how much they loved them.

They did love them - for all of a week before selling the entire set - hoot!

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:17 am

My Grandma had a set of the blue and white ones, the large platter, all the plates, bowls etc and a gravy boat too, it was lovely, and she used to say to me, 'Eat it all up and you will see the lovely picture', and it was so nice to look at as each time there seemed to be more to see as there is so much detail on them..

It's amazing the 'Antique' treasures that can be found on Ebay, numerous times I have clicked to look at what is there for sale, and so many people do sell, and buy, an array of past times collections.

And get such a good price for them, I guess it is a little sad for them to eventually consider putting them up for sale, but on the whole the main dinner services, to name the one, will now be too big for many families, and with cups and saucers too, as they are not as much used these days, although I always feel tea tastes so much better in a china cup.. siptea

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Joelle on Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:22 am

Yes I like china cups, I have a china tea service and a coffee one, but never use them. Everyone seems to prefer mugs now. Who knows though, one day they might come back in fashion, It only needs a celebrity to say I never use mugs I always use teacups and saucers and everyone will follow chuckles
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle

http://www.pamspoetry.yolasite.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:33 am

So true Joelle, all it needs is something like that to be said and all will be using them again, and going out to buy some, of course the prices then will soar through the roof. chuckles

I have a few china mugs, the tea tastes so much better in them, than the pottery ones..

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next