Fine China Ornaments

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Fine China Ornaments  - Page 4 Empty Re: Fine China Ornaments

Post by Guest on Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:17 am

Bet our Maisie is going to be fascinated by that information, Captain!

I too love to know the history behind items and really enjoyed reading that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:23 am

Well done our Captain, so interesting for sure, and lovely as you say our Mara to know the history behind many ornaments, and curio's too.

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Nemo on Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:11 pm

Thankyou folks its good to have a few clues and to find things out like this ,its amazing that even the usual everyday items from the past can hold so much and although we can think there isnt anything today that will hold any future interest , but many simple things will one day be so rare even packaging we take so for granted and throw away but look how that has changed over time ,and it can really spark memories chuckles
Captain Nemo
Captain Nemo
~ God Bless you our Captain Nemo ~

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:11 pm

So true, Captain! How I wish I had the cookie tins and cracker tins and even the sugar tins - now it's cardboard and paper - sigh.

Back to top Go down

Post by Maywalk on Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:49 am

That is fascinating info Captain. Many thanks for letting me know.

The one you have shown has more pronounced detail than mine and mine seems to be a daker green but its wonderful to find out a little bit more about it because I can print off the info to show my family.

Thanks again.
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk

http://www.memorylanehf.oddquine.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Nemo on Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:38 am

Your very welcome Maisie its fun to find these things out there could have been several moulds but the detail and colour could be enhanced with the photograph or an original mould was copied , they certainly had some ideas in Victorian times some of the ornaments were horrible these dressed Monkeys particularly , but also a liking for Pigs , Giggle
Captain Nemo
Captain Nemo

Back to top Go down

Post by Maywalk on Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:28 am

I think the ornaments were based on the nursery rhyme that I believe first came into being during the 1880s.

Interesting background even if mine are NOT of any value. Fine China Ornaments  - Page 4 791620
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:30 pm

I actually prefer your darker green one, Maisie ... but yes, it's great
that Captain found so much information about the 'pig ride' ornaments -
as you said, being able to share the info with your family will be fun
in itself!

And while perhaps not worth a great deal of monetary value, suspect anything you've truly enjoyed will be a treasure for your lovely Granddaughter.

I have a relative who is not only very wealthy but very 'odd' and has never in her entire life since being married over 65 years ago used a single piece of her very expensive solid silver flatware nor her china set, etc. Can remember when she was so excited about writing these items into her Will for one of her neices ... and thinking the neice will surely sell everything almost immediately.

She won't have any memories of dinners at the lady's table using the flatware or china or crystal, for that matter ... they will be just 'things' to her and what a sad shame.

Yup, can you tell I never ever keep anything 'for good', Maisie? - huge smile!

Back to top Go down

Post by Maywalk on Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:26 pm

I dont blame you Mara.

I cant see the point in having expensive things lying around never being used when you can sell them and make life more comfortable.
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:19 pm

Here, here our Maisie! flower

If one doesn't like them, find them a new home ... and anything that makes our hearts smile each time we see them, use them all the time!

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:26 pm

Yes I so agree with you our Maisie and our Mara, no point keeping anything, more so I mean that is handed down, if it's never been seen to be used, as really on that line of thought it never had a 'life' sort of thing, just sat there..

I know my Mum had several items left to her years ago, she so wanted to use them, but never got around to it, mainly as like a large dinner service, and quite a lot of silverware..
My dad asked her where she would store them, and after quite a bit of thought it was decided to sell them, and buy something that mum felt would remind her more of the relative that left them to her.

I can recall a beautiful painting of a countryside cottage garden that they bought with some of the money, this was fitted into a frame that was also handed down, the painting reminded mum of her times when she went to stay at the relatives home when she was a child for holidays.

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:32 pm

What a lovely thing to have and I hope you have inherited painting that reminded your Mum of her times as a child on holidays, Tan.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:33 am

I so very much wish that too our Mara, but it never came my way, but I can still see it in my minds eye, and remember looking at it numerous times with the beautiful garden that it had, and it certainly would have been such a nice home to live in..

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:42 pm

Having your memories of it is lovely, our Tan - but how I wish you could have had the painting hanging on your wall - gentle drat.

Back to top Go down

Post by June on Tue May 01, 2012 12:13 am

I agree with selling things rather than hoarding them away unless it's a particulat heirloom to pass on to your children.

I have a painting on my wall that belonged to my mother-in-law, one done by a close friend who was an artist, one done by our Sally, one by her husband, one that reminds me of where we holidayed as children and one showing the place where we had the best holiday during our marriage.

They all have a meaning and are all originals. They don't take up much space hanging on the walls.
June
June
June
June

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue May 01, 2012 12:40 pm

Oh, please do take a photo of the paintings if you get a chance, June - how wonderful to have them hung on your walls so you can enjoy them every day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Tue May 01, 2012 1:04 pm

Such lovely memories of all the paintings June, and to look at them often will bring so much back too.

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Nemo on Wed May 02, 2012 6:49 am

I do have to me a priceless picture , when Chloe was about 5 she was at my house on a summer holiday and we went to the Nuclear power station on the river 7 it recently closed down but somew 16 years ago it was going strong and every little Girl wants to see where the electric comes from and it was free to get in to , they had a tour and public relations centre ,

Well we went through the detectors on the way in to see if we had any radioactive on us then went deep underground and saw the reactor from underneath Dad loved it and I did and Chloe was impressed everything is massive anyway we got in a lift and went up high to the top of the reactor we could see these great swimming pools with the rods in and the reactors from the top.

These galleries are massive, they are the round domes you see outside where if the reactor goes wrong it will hold the radiation unless its like Chernobyl and blows the thing off , but we were watching these folks rushing around ontop of the reactor , and went to a control room this was like the deck of the Starship Enterprise.

The engineer there was removing remotely the radioactive rofs they are very deep in the reactor and with a crane and a camera was lifting the rod out to pop in the swimming pools so warm but not good to swim in these rods stay hot for many years ,

About 15 of us were in this tour and the engineer asked for a volunteer to help him I was to big but Chloe put her hand up and was beckoned to the control desk and was sat in the chair and given the controls to the crane and was there drawing one of the rods out the reactor all by herself she had to hold the lever in a position and watch the speed with the engineer there as well close by , but she was delighted with this and was there several minutes watching the video.

After that we went to the generators they are so big like Locomotives and so noisy but finally we were back in the exit room and had to be put in a radio active checker that I was to big for so even though I was glowing green in the dark the operator said dont worry you will be fine , I can change channels on the telly just by looking at it ,

When we got home Chloe painted a picture of her on the control panel and will still remember that day not many would ever get that chance to operate that reactor ,
That engineer may well be very smart and well trained and there he is sat at a consul holding a lever for many hours as there are many rods.

I will photograph it and some of the other pictures she made when little I have kept many you know how in Nursery school they love cotton wool and pasta and glue , and you have to show the child you love them and put them on the wall there and then being watched chuckles and you have a fridge door that is like a bank vault door with so many stuck on things Girl Smile
Captain Nemo
Captain Nemo

Back to top Go down

Post by Joelle on Wed May 02, 2012 7:55 am

What a lovely story Capt. and something that Chloe will remember all her life and tell her children in years to come. Look forward to seeing the pictures.

I have kept one that Ellis drew when she was so little, about four and we had gone on a boat trip in Turkey and she drew us on the ship but the thing that impressed me and the others was that she drew the Turkish flag too at such a young age.

Yes I wrote a poem about what you have just said in your last sentence years ago Capt.

PICTURE

She brought me a picture home from school
Her little face alights with joy
She also brought her friend for tea
A rude aggressive little boy

I pinned the picture on the wall
And gazed at it with mother’s pride
Her little friend put out his tongue
And then he ran outside to hide

I went to fetch him back again
And I’m afraid I was quite mad
Sit down there and eat your tea
You’ve been a very naughty lad

Oh please mum don’t be cross with him
You wouldn’t if you only knew
My little girl then held his hand
And gently patted his back too

With tear stained face she looked at me
Joe is an orphan he’s not bad
And he’s drawn a picture too for you
I thanked him then and felt so sad

I realised then my child was wise
And why her time with him she spent
Taught me a lesson with her words
And now I know just what she meant

Joelle
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle

http://www.pamspoetry.yolasite.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Maywalk on Wed May 02, 2012 8:02 am

Lovely stories Captain and Joelle and I liked the poem Joelle.

Its great to know that you still have something to treasure from those years.
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk

Back to top Go down

Post by Joelle on Wed May 02, 2012 8:07 am

It is indeed Maisie, My favourite picture hung in our flat is one of Winston Churchill, it was my late husbands favourite picture, he bought it at an auction and it has been in every house/flat I have lived in since I was married at the age of nineteen. I'll take a photo later.
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle

http://www.pamspoetry.yolasite.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Wed May 02, 2012 8:37 am

Such a very interesting visit there Captain for you, Chloe and your Dad, so memorable as can be seen with your recollection of that day, sure your Chloe will still remember it, and your Dad along with you at that time talking about it later in the evening of all that you saw, and of your Chloe drawing the Picture from memory...

Such a lovely poem Joelle, goes to show for many to think, before we make assumptions..
It will be so nice to see the photo.

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed May 02, 2012 11:45 am

What a wonderful outing you gave little Chloe that day, Captain, and I really enjoyed sharing in your special memories of that day with her and her Dad. I too hope you'll take photos of all the little treasures she made for you as a child - you're quite right, each gift from a child is extra special.

I hope Ellis remembers most of her trip to Turkey with you, Joelle - and I'm sure you still have the pictures she drew tucked away in your treasure box. And your poem - how beautifully you've understood the sensitivity and understanding of a child and her seemingly rude little friend.

And please do take a photo of your Winston Churchill picture for us - what wonderful memories it must have for you - plus I've always been so fond of the gentleman and all he stood for.

Maisie and Tan ... have any pictures having on your walls that you'd like to share? (Hint hint - grin - as I love seeing things like this!).

Back to top Go down

Post by June on Wed May 02, 2012 12:03 pm

Mara wrote:Oh, please do take a photo of the paintings if you get a chance, June - how wonderful to have them hung on your walls so you can enjoy them every day.

I will do that as soon as I can.
June
June
June
June

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Wed May 02, 2012 12:17 pm

I haven't got any wall paintings, most of what has been handed down to me are a blue velvet boxed set of 6 embossed goblets, 6 dessert spoons and a serving spoon presented in a box, a Royal Vale teaset with cups, saucers and side plates, and a W&R Jacobs biscuit tin with embossed flowers and butterflies on it..
And a Zulu Warrior Shield, small one, which my dad brought backs years and years ago when he was a Merchant Seaman.
All else of memories were handed to Aunties and Uncles..

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next