Just found this in my memory box.

Go down

Just found this in my memory box.  Empty Just found this in my memory box.

Post by Maywalk on Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:36 am

I hope I have not written about this incident elsewhere but I thought it might be of interest to folks who like true tales.

I detest spiders and this true tale tells the story of something that happened well over 50 years ago.

We lived in a house with a shared back yard. Our back door looked on to my neighbours back door and luckily we got on very well. Her hubby was finally demobbed from the Navy so they were settling down well. He used to work shifts like my own hubby but he was home at this particular time and my hubby was at work until 10pm.

My son was a little lad at the time and I had asked him what he would like for his tea. He said he would love a banana sandwich but unfortunately I had not got any bananas. I said I would pop to the corner shop to get him one. We had not long come off the rations then and bananas were something that we never had a lot of during the lean times.
Anyway I called in the shop and the shopkeeper and I knew each other very well because her two lads played with my son. I asked her what bananas she had because Barry wanted a banana sandwich for his tea and she pointed to the last one she had left which looked rather fat to me and it was split at the end. She told me to take it for Barry and not [/size]to bother with payment because it would only go bad overnight and she would rather it be ate up.
It was a cold day and I had a big coal fire roaring up the chimney. I buttered the bread for the sandwich and when I started to unpeel the banana I felt something brush against my hand. As I looked down I saw a massive spider that must have measured 3 inches across that had evidently been shipped over inside the banana and had been feeding off it. I let out one piercing scream that was most likely heard in the town centre and George who lived across from us in the shared yard was just going to go in his house after visiting the outside loo came running across asking me if I was alright. My son was looked so scared because it must have frightened the life out of him when I yelled out.
Meanwhile George had come in and I was trying to tell him what had happened and I was pointing down to the rug where the spider had gone because it must have liked the warmth. George said in wonderment "Good grief I have served 22 years in the Navy and been all over the world but I have NEVER EVER seen a spider that big!!!!!!!!! Have you got a basin or a dish handy? " As luck would have it I had a glass fruit dish on the side which I emptied out and gave it to George. He promptly threw it over the spider and got down on his knees to lift the dish up far enough to grab one of its legs to throw it on the fire. He managed to do it after a couple of tries and the ruddy spider was SO strong it started climbing up the back of the flue but as George poked the fire the flames licked up and caught the darn thing which exploded like a firework.
My son never got his banana sandwich after all and I hate having to bring any back for my hubby. I cant even stand the smell of them and if anyone has one I make them wrap the skin up well and take it out to the bin and NOT have them put it in my housebin.
I found this cutting in a Sunday paper some years ago and kept it.

Just found this in my memory box.  2vsrqwz

Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk

http://www.memorylanehf.oddquine.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Just found this in my memory box.  Empty Re: Just found this in my memory box.

Post by June on Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:22 pm

I have read about this in the papers and it does make you wary of bananas. I always inspect them before buying but, I love the spiders that we have here with their intricate webs.
June
June
June
June

Back to top Go down

Post by Joelle on Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:57 pm

Oh dear I hate all spiders, always have but that one must have been terrible. I had a frind at school and her parents had a fruit and veg shop and they discovered a big spider in a box of bananas, can't remember what they did with it though chuckles
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle

http://www.pamspoetry.yolasite.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:09 am

Oh my dod! I'd gotten so engrossed about the banana and little Barry wanting a banana sandwich, I'd forgotten this was about spiders ... so when I hit the part about the massive one found inside the banana - eeeeeeek!!

No wonder you let out a piercing scream! And to read it was so large and strong it actually tried avoiding the fire by climbing up the flue - shudder!

Thank goodness George was there to both capture and burn it ... but bet the entire experience including it exploding like fireworks at the end - another shudder and I don't blame you one bit for hating even the smell of them now!

Am so relieved it didn't bite you - it could so easily taken a nasty hunk out of you or worse, been deadly poisonous!

How well, you write - really enjoyed reading this and thanks so much for sharing, our Maisie!

------
I'm with you and Maisie, Joelle - don't like spiders at all. Shall we send ours to our brave June?? flower

Back to top Go down

Post by June on Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:06 am

Spiders' retreat now open Very Happy I saved one from the sink recently.
June
June
June
June

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:54 am

That does it, our kind June ... you may be getting tiny packages tied up with brown cord and if the package has little pin size air holes in it, you'll know what's coming - huge grin!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down