A sad young girl and a sad death

Go down

A sad young girl and a sad death

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:20 pm

I was 17 and had just moved to a new town and into a new duplex and the only person I'd met so far was my next door neighbour - a girl a couple years older than myself who lived with her boyfriend in the other half of the duplex.

The morning after, I had to go out at about 4:30 am and when I got back about an hour later, parked in front of our units ... and noticed her door was ajar.

Walked over to it, intended to stick my head in and call out to let her know about the open door ... and instead found something that still causes me nightmares at times, all these many years later.

She was hanging from the vaulted ceiling with her back to me.

I touched her legs thinking perhaps she was still alive and I could help ... and when she swung around ... well, I won't horrify anyone but believe me, it is not at all like what the pretend version on television of hanging is like.

My telephone wasn't hooked up yet and I never even thought to find and use hers ... ran around to the neighbours, banging on doors and calling 'help' but only the 5 or 6th place finally answered and called the police for me.

I still remember sitting outside on her step in the pouring rain ... the police came and one officer obviously thought I was joking as he made some crude remark before he entered. He came back out and threw up on the sidewalk.

They took my statement and took her body away finally ... and when nighttime came, I was still calm outside but shivered inside. Perhaps not the best time to be alone in a strange town.

Took another job less than 3 months later and moved away but always think of this poor girl and of the shock and horror her family must have had when notified.

Back to top Go down

Re: A sad young girl and a sad death

Post by June on Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:04 am

What a traumatic experience for you Mara. I think something like that would haunt me for life as well. Obviously there was nothing you could have done at the time as she was already dead but it was a horrible experience and a tragic waste of the young woman's life

Suicide, if that's what is was, is always tragic but none of us know what is in the minds of those who do this. We cannot judge. So sad.
June
June
June
June

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:53 am

So very true and sad, isn't it, our June. Huge sigh.

And thank you for understanding as it has 'haunted' me ever since and I shudder to think the horror that entered her family and undoubtedly has never left.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:18 am

Such a terrible end to such a young life, and for you to have found her like that our Mara was of course terribly shocking for you.

Troubles for anyone at times gets on top of us all, but she must have been at an all time low, just thinking 'what is the point of carrying on'..Logic of course we can all think 'Tomorrow is another day, let's see what that brings', but of course for many they just can't think that way, and do what they feel will ease the terrible worries that they were having.

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:06 am

Oh yes, Tan ... and when we are younger, often we can't 'see' that the future always gets better - sigh.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:12 am

There was a terribly sad story of a young man that was found hanging in a park, he obviously felt that he couldn't carry on anymore, and maybe he felt either no one could help him with his troubles, or maybe he didn't want to worry anyone with them.

What was so very sad, was at his funeral, it was shown on the television, loads of people there, all his family of course, and lot's of friends, yet even with all those in his life he felt he had no one to confide in of his feelings, and intentions too that day he took his life.

Goes to show as I mentioned once before, we can be in a room full of people, be it family, or not, yet still feel so very much alone.

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:30 am

Oh yes, being surrounded by even people we love does not necessary make one feel not alone and filled with despair.

Mind you, I had a truly lovely friend ... she had two little ones and a sweet husband (we were about 22) and was diagnosed with brain cancer.

She had such courage and spent hours in the library researching how the disease would progress, etc (it was non-operable) ... and a few months later when the disease was progessing, she took her own life.

This lovely friend left loving letters to her husband, children and other family members and friends ... and how I admire her courage.

She didn't want to die but knew she would - and worse, the getting to the end would leave those she loved the most, especially her little ones, only memories of months of hell.

I honestly think she didn't take the 'easy' way out at all. Rather she overcame the massive urge to live for as long as possible and her final gift to those she loved was the only one she could give them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:03 am

Such sadness for sure for all of them, just like your friend felt she wanted to take control of the inevitable, she wanted to choose her time to go, and like with how she wrote those personal letters, what would become so precious to her loved ones.

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by honeybee on Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:08 am

aw so sad our mara...I am sure it will still haunt you today, the hanging I found here. I really try so hard to just block it out my head. Think he was just over 30.
They say only cowards do that... That is another topic though
honeybee
honeybee
Our Smilie Queen
Our Smilie Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:46 am

Yes, Tan ... those letters must have meant the world to those that loved her and in know in the ones to the children, she added special photos of her and each little one and all her special memories of each child, etc.

Oh Honeybee, I'm so so so sorry that you found someone hanging, as well - hug!

It's a horrible, horrible way to die, I'm sure - and while hanging sounds 'quick and tidy', it's far from that for the victim and as you know, for the soul who finds them too.

And please don't worry about your comment re 'hanging', Honeybee ... you are more than welcome along with our other lovelies to make any comments you like about hanging/suicide here.

Back to top Go down

Post by June on Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:49 am

Just like the police officer whose funeral will be next Saturday. He was blinded and had personal problems but he had loads of friends and family. So much to live for really.
June
June
June
June

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:27 pm

I know and how sad because it would seem he did, June.

Who knows what horror and fear and despair live within someone - very sad indeed.

Back to top Go down

Post by Maywalk on Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:21 am

Oh Mara!!!!!

I have just read this thread and my heart goes out to you. What a dreadful experience for a young girl. Its good though that you can write about it because it helps to release many pent up emotions that could otherwise become TOO deep rooted to get over.
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk

http://www.memorylanehf.oddquine.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:15 pm

Thank you for your understanding words, our Maisie.

Perhaps oddly, I never told anyone about it at the time or, for that matter, ever except for my beloved Glen ... but I somehow felt our lovelies here would understand.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down