Beautiful Morning.

Go down

Beautiful Morning.   Empty Beautiful Morning.

Post by Maywalk on Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:21 am

65 years ago today in 1947 I was travelling back to live in London after being evacated to the Midlands from the London Blitz in 1941.

Its a beautiful morning here but how well I remember that nightmare jorney back to London in that blasted pantechnicon.
I remember it well because it was my fathers 47th birthday.
The journey was arduous and the floods that were in the fields as we passed were horrendous.
Icy roads, floods, as well as blocked roads made the journey longer.
I could see dead sheep and cows floating about that had been marooned in the heavy downfall of snow and had frozen to death.
It was certainly a year that I have never forgotten for various reasons.

It seems unbelievable to see how lovely it is this morning compared to that memorable day.
What with going out to lunch and NOT having to cook it certainly is different from that day.
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk

http://www.memorylanehf.oddquine.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Beautiful Morning.   Empty Re: Beautiful Morning.

Post by Tan on Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:48 am

Six years away from home must have been a lifetime to you there our Maywalk.
I haven't heard of a pantechnicon, so just looked it up, always nice to hear of new names for vehicles that haven't been heard of before, as I remember hearing about a Charabanc..

It's certainly a journey I too would not forget, must have been so very hard for you all seeing all that you saw and the conditions while travelling too, also your dad was young as well, must have been hard for him too as with it being a day that should be of celebration, but needed to get his family back to London as safely as he knew how.

Your day on Sunday was a huge difference and of course one you will remember too, but with much more joyous thoughts as well. Ring A Rosies

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:45 pm

It is simply mind-boggling to me reading what life must have been like ... not just stories of soldiers but stories like yours, our Maisie.

Lives disrupted, the world world changing in front of one's eyes, children separated from parents and so so so many sacrifices made by so many.

That day must have filled you with both such pain and also happiness, Maisie ... I can't thank you enough for sharing these special memories with us.

Back to top Go down

Post by Maywalk on Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:17 pm

Aw Bless you Mara.

Its a pleasure to tell them to folks who are interested in those years.
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:38 pm

Please believe me when I say the pleasure is all mine, our Maisie!

May I ask you something slightly 'off topic', please?

One of my grandparent's newspaper Obituary says something like, "Leaving to mourn, relic of deceased, Mrs. _________).

Relic??? That's always fascinated me and just wondering if it was common practice in Britain or perhaps an oddity that just existed here in Canada?

Again, off topic so hope you'll forgive me ... always wondered about 'Jaz' versus James when using a name. Only mentioning it because I actually had thought 'Jaz' was a name in and of itself ... made searching Genealogy a tad hard, I must admit - grin.

Back to top Go down

Post by Maywalk on Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:07 pm

"Leaving to mourn, relic of deceased, Mrs. _________).

Never heard of that saying here Mara. Shocked Beautiful Morning.   3650816571

Funny you should say that about the nickname Jaz for James because my son's name is Barry and they call him Baz. Beautiful Morning.   2835949603
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:07 pm

Oh no! - huge smile! Generations from now when some poor soul is searching for ancestry, they'll be no doubt looking for 'Baz' rather than Barry, our Maisie! Beautiful Morning.   799288053 Beautiful Morning.   448901

Perhaps the 'relic' thing was just used in Canada, I guess.

Do remember my maternal grandparents always speaking about each other and to each other as "Mr. Davies" or "Mrs. Davies" ... in fact, I must have been about 5 before I figured out they had 'real' names.

Back to top Go down

Post by Maywalk on Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:40 am

(Do remember my maternal grandparents always speaking about each other and to each other as "Mr. Davies" or "Mrs. Davies" ... in fact, I must have been about 5 before I figured out they had 'real' names.)

Yes they used to do that here too Mara because it was considered bad manners and NOT respectful to address husband or wife by their first name in front of other people.

Its a good job no one can hear what I call my old man at times especially if he gets the wrong side of me. Beautiful Morning.   3560955859
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:45 pm

"Its a good job no one can hear what I call my old man at times especially if he gets the wrong side of me. Beautiful Morning.   3560955859"

Too funny, Maisie! Beautiful Morning.   422667

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down