Old Documents

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Old Documents  Empty Old Documents

Post by Maywalk on Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:49 am

I have been sorting a lot of things out this afternoon to take to the AgeUK charity shop tomorrow because my granddaughter is taking hubby and I out to lunch so I thought I could drop the goods off there before going for lunch.
While sorting out units that go over the bed I came across a photograph album that I had used many years ago to put old documents in.
I have always been fascinated in this sort of thing and I put them all in the album over 30 years ago.
These documents would NOT still be in the family IF my mother had not been insistent on carrying her handbag with her everywhere she went during the London Blitz.
All important documents such as wedding and birth certificates plus death certificates and funeral bills were carried about in her handbag during that time 'JUST IN CASE'.
Anyway I found this funeral bill of my maternal grandmother and just thought others would be
interested in what one got then for the money.

I would love to know how much it would cost today.

Old Documents  2a0hv9h
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk

http://www.memorylanehf.oddquine.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Old Documents  Empty Re: Old Documents

Post by Nev on Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:09 pm

My word that is something to keep and pass on to the next generation. Today's younger folk may not believe that price, but it is a good indicator as to how money has become so devalued. I doubt if you could buy a meal out for that now, and a quick think tells me four pints of best mild beer and £1-60 pence change. Or maybe two packs of twenty cigarettes.
A funeral now is several hundred pounds or more.

Nev
~ God Bless you our Nev ~
~ God Bless you our Nev ~

Back to top Go down

Post by Alan on Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:16 pm

These old bills can be very interesting to go through, and to think that you could have a funeral, including the coffin by the looks of it, for that price Shocked

"To know an elephant is to be touched by him - these gentle giants humble mankind. He is nature's greatest Masterpiece." John Donne - Poet
Alan
Alan
Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:20 pm

Everything is so expensive these days, just seen how much the 1st and 2nd class stamps are going up, and not a penny or tuppence, a lot..

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Cat on Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:41 pm

When i got my first council property in 1959 the rent for that was £1 11s 6p it is now just over £77.w o w

Like Tan has just mentioned things don't just go a couple of coppers.

Its about 14p on second class stamp and 17p on first.
Cat
Cat
Cat
Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Nemo on Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:42 pm

This is Lovely Maisie and many wouldnt believe how these things do seem so much cheaper back then , but so much is relative wages were so much lower but still things really have gone up so much , a basic funeral now is several thousand pounds Myself I bought a Funeral for myself , some folks have a holiday or redecorate the house but no Nemo buys a Funeral I bought a Bond with the Coop , they said at the time that Funerals are going up 22% a year ,
Thankyou Maisie for this and im sure your Mother was quite safe walking around with all her documents etc now we are all told to carry the basics but these old documents are priceless to future generations thinking
Thank You
Captain Nemo
Captain Nemo
~ God Bless you our Captain Nemo ~

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Nemo on Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:46 pm

Hello Nanna Cat I hadnt heard of the rise in the post but thats a huge jump it costs a small fortune now to send anything my royal mail and they are cutting back on the post offices , most folks simply wont send things , thinking
Captain Nemo
Captain Nemo

Back to top Go down

Post by Maywalk on Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:17 pm

Thanks for getting back to me folks.

Hubby and I took a bond out with the Co-op some years ago Captain Nemo because we want a woodland burial with eco coffins. Rather a morbid subject BUT at least our family knows what our wishes are.
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:55 pm

I think doing as you both have will give peace of mind to your family Maisie, as like we all know some parents sadly pass away and never have spoken of what they would like, be it a funeral, a cremation, or even which songs they would like at their service.
Of course it's not something many even think about talking about, but by doing so the family left behind know that they could grant your final wishes..

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by nordog on Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:13 pm

I still have some were the bill for our Honeymoon in The Castle Hotel Brecon, with four poster bed one steak and one duck meal on the second night plus three breakfast, £15.s10.d6 If I remember correctly. nothing but the best for my new wife.
nordog
nordog
Nordog
Nordog

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:18 pm

Oh Maisie, how truly wonderful your Mother carried all the vital treasures in her handbag during the Blitz - I know I would have adored the lady as she really knew what was important in life.

(I have all our photo albums arranged so they can be either dragged outside with me in a huge cotton 'pillow case' type bag or even tossed out the window should we ever have a fire --- everything else can be replaced, but these are our true treasures).

Reading that funeral order is so very fascinating ... not just the price but the full description of the coffin itself and where it will be taken plus even the name of the cemetary ... all this is such a treasure for you to have and each oncoming generation too!

Really, really appreciate you posting this as I love old things, Maisie - each tells such an incredible story and again, how happy I am your dear Mother kept all these type of things safe.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:19 pm

And nope, don't think your pre-arranging a funeral is at all morbid, our Captain and Maisie. In fact, I think of it as quite the opposite for without plans in place, the ones we love the most often are not only heartbroken when a death happens, they are totally mind-boggled as to what to do first and how, etc and as Tan said, if one wants last wishes fullfilled, it helps to have them written down - gentle smile.

Come on, our Norog Very Happy
- start digging out all those nifty old things like your Honeymoon bill
- love to view old documents, no matter what they're for.

Back to top Go down

Post by Maywalk on Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:46 am

Here is another old document. Its my paternal grandparents wedding certificate.

NOTE the day they got married.

Old Documents  281wllf
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:12 am

What a lovely, lovely treasure to have, Maisie! And to think they married on Christmas Day ... what a special occassion that must have been for both of them and all their friends and family - wow!

Paper records such as this are priceless, as is all the family details that also supply.

Do you happen to have a your parent's wedding photo, I wonder?

Back to top Go down

Post by nordog on Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:29 am

Christmas Day!
nordog
nordog
Nordog
Nordog

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:25 am

Such wonderful treasures you have their our Maisie, and to be married on Christmas Day for them would have been so special for sure..

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Maywalk on Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:43 am

No I dont have any photos of either my grand parents or my parents weddings Mara mores the pity. Crying or Very sad

A lot of stuff was lost during the war and I think that is what started my mother carrying the old documents around with her .
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk

Back to top Go down

Post by June on Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:18 am

Very precious Maisie. I also have a lot of old documents and birth/marriage, death certificates etc.

Wish I had more wedding photos as well. Only have my parent's and one set of grandparent's ones.
June
June
June
June

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:09 pm

It is a shame about not having the wedding photos too but still, the paper document treasures you are have so wonderful, Maisie. Hope you have lots more 'old stuff' to share - just love it! Hope you'll share more if you have them flower .

(It's wonderful that you too have paper treasures, June (hope you'll share, are well - I find these types of things truly fascinating).

Back to top Go down

Post by June on Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:31 pm

I must make time to photograph them as I haven't got a scanner.
June
June
June
June

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:20 pm

That would be great when you have some free time, our June!

Back to top Go down

Post by Joelle on Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:16 pm

Hello Maisie, I just saw this interesting thread and find the documents fascinating My mum always kept all important documents in an old handbag during the war, and then added my dads letters to her when he was in the army.I don't have them, my sister has everything and when I asked her about the letters she said my mum had got rid of them after my dad had died, but I know she wouldn't have done that. I have been thinking about planning and paying for my funeral. My son in laws father had done that last year and it was a lot less traumatic for the family when he died and everything had been pre arranged.
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle

http://www.pamspoetry.yolasite.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:00 pm

I could weep for you, Joelle. Regardless of her reasons, it's simply cruel of your sister to not photocopy everything, including documents and family photos, and give them to you.

Honestly can't understand why some siblings are like this - huge sigh. (Sadly, my brother has done exactly the same thing).

Your son-in-law's Father did such a kind thing making all the arrangments and even pre-paying for his funeral. Even without the pre-paying, just making all the arrangements and letting his wishes be known must have been, as you said, such a relief and help to those he left behind.

Still find it interesting that while birth and life is so freely discussed in our society, the mention of death or even pre-planning one's funeral is so very frightening for many. Perhaps it's because part of our human brain is loathe to admit we will one day day - and perhaps a bit of feeling that if one thinks about it, somehow that will make the day 'more real'?

Back to top Go down

Post by Joelle on Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:39 pm

Yes Mara I know what you mean, I must say it never worries me as I truly believe that we will be reunited with our loved ones that have gone before.
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle

http://www.pamspoetry.yolasite.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:41 pm

It is a lovely thought Joelle, and I so believe that too..
Such a terrible shame of course your Sister being this way, hopefully one day she will see just how she has been and realise that you are entitled to have memories too from all that she has there..

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next