I often have wondered.....

Go down

I often have wondered..... Empty I often have wondered.....

Post by Tan on Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:06 am

I often have wondered why were toilets built outside..

There was plumbing in the kitchens due to the sink being able to be emptied, just not sure why many homes had the toilets all outside. Maybe in those days of building homes they felt it wasn't hygienic to have the toilets indoors.

I can remember the outside toilet being plumbed in, in the back yards in some homes, also the toilet in my Grandma's cottage, there wasn't any plumbing there, it all had to be emptied out, not the most pleasant of jobs for the owners of the property, but like anything I suppose it was a job to be done, and they just did it.

Also I remember the lights being Gas Lamps, was Electric not as popular, or maybe was it then more expensive to have in homes?..

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

I often have wondered..... Empty Re: I often have wondered.....

Post by Guest on Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:20 pm

I don't know for sure why either, Tan ... but the thought of a massive toilet bucket being kept within the house must have made many worry about it, including the odors, perhaps?

But imagine having to get up in the night and wander out into the cold and undoubtedly down a scary unlight path ... and then hope no snakes were waiting for one's bum under the hole - eek!! I often have wondered..... 348388472 I often have wondered..... 2523496433

Haven't seen a gas lamp (well, in a store once but never one that was actually working) ... did they have a scent to them, I wonder?

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:32 pm

I can just remember looking up at a gas lamp on the wall, watching the flickering, to me it was so lovely, but not sure how it all worked, meaning how they lit it..

I know Chamber Pots were used which were kept under the beds, not an idea any of us would like now for sure..
And my Grandma had one on a stand, like a fancy wooden seat, with a bucket underneath and a lid to go on top.
Bet those two will be worth something now to an Antique collector.. Very Happy

I can also remember going outside to the loo at night, it was scary, I would take a torch, but one time I saw a spider there, so I braved it after that and never took the torch, as I didn't want to know if there were any lurking about ready to pounce.. Thud

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:43 pm

Even worse, my dear, is if one goes back far enough in Engish history ... something similar to what your grandmother had were actually kept in formal diningrooms of the weathy.

Apparently one just excused oneself ... went over to it ... and then returned to the table. Hmmm, can't quite find the words to describe how I feel about that - gentle gag and grin.

And you have me in stitches because we are surely kindred spirits ... "
"never took the torch, as I didn't want to know if there were any lurking about ready to pounce" ... wonderfully funny and so true, our Tan! I often have wondered..... 448901

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:09 pm

chuckles I can picture it all as it happened, oh when I think that is probably the time I limited my drinks, none from 6pm.. Giggle

Laughing away here too about when you said about those kept in the dining rooms, just so normal for them all of course, but imagine that trend coming back... Thud Giggle

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by nordog on Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:19 pm

My cousin lived in the middle of a row about 30 terrace cottages at one end of these cottages was all 30 toilets, all in a row with the same number as a cottage. You can imagen the family in cottage No 1 walking in the winter along the path in front of the line of homes and of course the end cottage had all these toilets right next door them plus had to walk past all the other toilets to get to there's. Yuk.
nordog
nordog
Nordog
Nordog

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:53 pm

Having that come back as acceptable in society, Tan - huge yuck and surely will never happen - hoot!

Oh gosh, wonder why each cottage couldn't have it's own little 'shed' at the back ...but if it had to be that way, gracious I would want to live in the cottage farthest away even if it meant a longer walk, Nordog!

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:10 am

I bet many there were crossed legged before they got to their toilet Nordog, and yet all did what was expected, no question about it, just did as it was..

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:46 pm

Just imagine if suddenly we had no computers, no gas furnaces nor hot water tanks, no electricity, no running water, etc etc.

Scary when one thinks how few of us could survive even a couple months as most wouldn't know where to start. Our forebearers were indeed a hearty lot!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum