Going back in time.

Go down

Going back in time.

Post by Maywalk on Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:44 am

I have had a super morning out shopping with my lovely granddaughter and her boyfriend which finished up with us going to the Toby Inn for lunch.
It started to hail as we got in the car to make out way home so my granddaughter said she would finish off sorting all the photos and old documents that need putting in the new albums that I had bought. Yes I know we could have put them on disc but granddaughter wanted them in albums.

Any way while looking through the case with all the old documents in she came across this old postcard that was sent showing the Promenade in Llandudno as it was then.
I have NO idea if it still looks the same because I have never been perhaps someone could tell us.

It was sent in 1937 as you can see from the date on it to my mother from the social worker, as she was know then, because I had finally been sent home after spending 7 years in the Sisters of Mercy home and it was Miss Rolls who supervised it all.

The message on the back reads.

I just thought you might like to see this.
I am staying here with my family and shall not be back in Peckham for a week or two.
All good wishes. P Rolls.

What made it more interesting to my granddaughter and her boyfriend is because I said it was the first house we had bombed during WW2 and we had to move to 168 Neate Street until that too got bombed and we had to be evacuated to the Midlands.

It brought back many memories and I have had my orders from my granddaughter that it will be going in the important document album when she comes tomorrow.

It seems incredible that if it wasn't for my mother keeping all the old marriage and death certificates plus WW1 memorabilia in her handbag that went EVERYWHERE with her at that time, even taken with her to bed, none of this would have still been here to muse on.
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk

http://www.memorylanehf.oddquine.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Re: Going back in time.

Post by Tan on Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:28 pm

Such a lovely morning out shopping there, and how nice to have Lunch all together as well, they would have enjoyed it as much as you..

The postcards will be so nice in an Album, I have some photo's on file on my computer, but nothing like having them to look at in the Album.

How lovely of Miss Rolls to send the postcard there to your Mother, and for you to finally be able to go home, such a long time away for you, and to be away from your family..
It's been so very well looked after, a real treasure to have, and as you say had it not been for your Mother taking so great care of it and all the lovely memorabilia these would have been long lost.

It's so lovely to for you to know your Grandaughter and her Boyfriend take such interest of all your treasures.

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Maywalk on Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:42 pm

Yes they are a lovely couple Tan

Here is a photo of them ...................

Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Nemo on Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:10 pm

Thankyou Maisie for this its lovely isnt it something as simple as a card from way back then now is a treasure and look at the stamp 1D ,
It does seem Adolf really was out to keep you moving but im glad you were ok my Father and his Brother were in London in Lewisham when he was called up then sent abroad and when he came home most of his area was flattened but his Mum and Dad stayed put throughout Dad dug them an Anderson Shelter in the Garden ,
Thankyou and if you have any more of these items please show it really does bring the past to the present and good your Granddaughter wants to know all the family history you must love telling them and knowing they want to know , Thank You
Captain Nemo
Captain Nemo
~ God Bless you our Captain Nemo ~
~ God Bless you our Captain Nemo ~

Back to top Go down

Post by Maywalk on Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:23 pm

Many thanks Captain Nemo.

I dont want to bore folks with rambling on about the past but having said that I belong to a knitting forum and I have had over 20 requests for a knitted snood pattern that I have from the 40s.

Many WW2 Re-enactors love to try and really look the part.
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:54 am

As Tan said, it's wonderful your truly lovely granddaughter and her boyfriend share your interest in wonderful old things such as this post card and she insisted photos, etc be placed in albums - good for her!! - just love it!

It's mind-boggling for someone like me to even try imagining the constant fear of being bombed and carrying one's handbag with you at all times to ensure family treasures were never lost, like you Mom did, Maisie.

By the way, I thought the name looked familiar (how could it not be Welsh with a name like that - hoot!) and sure enough it's still the sea side at Conwy County Borough, Wales.

Your memories are never, ever ever boring, Maisie - just love reading yours and other's memories - they are each and every very special indeed!

And to have your Uncle and Dad dig a bomb shelter in the back yard for their parents, Captain.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down