Some of my treasures

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Some of my treasures Empty Some of my treasures

Post by Tan on Thu May 03, 2012 1:19 pm

I haven't got a great deal of handed down ornaments, or pictures in frames, these treasures though I well remember from when I was younger, and I am blessed to have been given them..

My Dad bought this Zulu Warrior Shield when he was on shore while being in the Merchant Navy..

Some of my treasures Pictu386

And this Yacht with Bone Sails used to be sat on his Piano, and eventual Organ, he bought this too in one place he went to while in the Merchant Navy.

Some of my treasures Pictu387

This set in a case with a serving dessert spoon and dessert spoons were my Grandma's as were the Silver Goblets in their blue velvet case.

Some of my treasures Pictu388

Some of my treasures Pictu389

My Mum and Dad bought this Royal Vale Teaset with a cake plate, side plates, cups and saucers, sugar bowl and milk Jug when I was about 10, I remember it was kept in their China Cabinet.

Some of my treasures Pictu390

These two little cottages, and the trinket bowl belonged to my Grandma, she had them on a lovely cabinet that my Grandad had made.

Some of my treasures Pictu391

These boy and girl ornaments carrying Jugs etc were my Auntie's, eventually being given to my Mum and Dad..

Some of my treasures Pictu392

And this is a Biscuit Tin made by W&R Jacobs, as can be seen there is a butterfly, and flower embossed on the front, top, and all the sides.

Some of my treasures Pictu393

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Some of my treasures Empty Re: Some of my treasures

Post by Nev on Thu May 03, 2012 2:22 pm

The two items your dad brought back from his merchant navy days will have been made for sale as curiosities by the natives of whichever land he bought them from, maybe not much value except to you perhaps but nice to see.
Porcelain figurines though I always like to look at. Though not interested in owning them, but the artistry that goes into them can be fantastic as in the case of a few of yours.
The look on the faces of each is special in its own right but the two little bag pipe players will no doubt be a favourite of Mara, they both look so cute.

The two cottages, which one is the original tea rooms? I have seen cottages like this which were open for the thirsty traveller.
I am no expert on silver or tea and dinner pottery sets so cannot comment either way though they are all nice.
Now the biscuit tin, that is a different kettle of fish and may actually be worth quite a bit by now.

Nev
~ God Bless you our Nev ~

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Thu May 03, 2012 2:33 pm

So many travels Dad went on, Australia, Tahiti and many other places, he got lots of postcards from many places and kept them in a folder, sadly no idea where those went to, he also brought me back a grass skirt, it was one of the last trips he went on, as due to me getting upset when he came back, I was only about 2 and I asked 'who is that man', so my dad said when my daughter doesn't remember me then it is time to stop, so he went on the one last trip that he had previously signed up for then that was it.

He brought many things back over all the places he went to, he said that several of the Sailors would get off ship and go to the pubs, but he and a few loved to tour the land, and see all that was there..

hehe, the original tearoom one is the one on the left...If you look closely you will see Tanooma's bom

Yes the little bag pipe ones have such a cheeky little cute look on their faces Very Happy

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Joelle on Thu May 03, 2012 3:27 pm

Your treasures are lovely Tan, the figurines are exquisite, the silver goblets in the case could be really valuable especially as they are in the case too. I love the little tearooms too. Thank you for showing them to us.
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle

http://www.pamspoetry.yolasite.com

Back to top Go down

Post by June on Fri May 04, 2012 12:34 am

Lovely heirlooms Tan and the value of them is that they bring back happy memories.
June
June
June
June

Back to top Go down

Post by nordog on Fri May 04, 2012 1:32 am

What lovely treasures to Tan sunny priceless to you. As you are to us around World. And we don't have to polish your good self.
nordog
nordog
Nordog
Nordog

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Fri May 04, 2012 3:23 am

Thank you Joelle, June, and Nordog, they might be worth something, or maybe won't be worth a lot money wise, but the lovely memories I drift back to when I look at them is priceless. hug
I know I had the little grass skirt my dad bought me back from Tahiti when I was 2 for a long time, sadly it some how got lost, but I had it in a drawer until I was about 10.. Very Happy

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Joelle on Fri May 04, 2012 3:32 am

I bet you looked the bees knees in that Tan, did you do the hoola dance? Can just imagine that chuckles My dad brought me a skipping rope with blue handles when he came home on leave, another time he brought me a soft bodied black dolly, I wish I had the doll now but my mum was one for getting rid of toys and things as we got older and she never let us have them in our bedroom.
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Fri May 04, 2012 3:41 am

I remember Mum saying that they laughed their heads off at me, as my Dad did the hula hula in front of me for me to copy, I did it that fast I landed up on my bot... Girl Smile

Lovely memories for you though Joelle, it's a shame of course many toys were thrown away, or given, as happened to me, but I remember the Gollywog my dad brought too, for some reason I screamed the place down, it was on top of the wardrobe after that, but I cried, so eventually it was given to my cousin I think..

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri May 04, 2012 10:52 am

It's such fun to see the Zulu warrior shield that you dear Dad got when he was in the Navy - and imagine the work needed to create bone sails on the wonderful wooden boat - no wonder he loved it so much and kept it on display, Tan!

Just thrilled to see your berry spoon set - love it!! My set has a different pattern but I use the large spoons everyday as serving spoons for veggies on the table, etc ... and the actual fruit spoons as soup spoons ... we do have fruit and they are especially nice for that but can't bear to not use ours all the time - grin!

The silver goblets are incredible - I love simple rather than ornate silver personally and wouldn't these be lovely lined up along the middle of a dinner table, each filled with bunches of fresh little field flowers!

Do hope you treat yourself to tea in the treasured set you have from our Mom and Dad ... know so often these are rarely used now but I hope you have wonderful memories of your parents sitting and having luncheon with them, lovely lady.

I wonder if your Grandmother kept bits and pieces of jewelry in her trinketk bowl? How lovely to have things like this and the wo wee cottages plus memories of the lovely cabinet your Granddad had made.

And what a huge collection you've got of the near-bisque ornaments - they're charming, Tan, and I especially like the muted tones of them. (And yes, Nev is right on - my favourite as the adorable bag-pipe players - huge smile!).

Oh my gosh, an embossed bisquit tin - it's beautiful!! - never, ever seen one like this!

But perhaps the dearest thing you've shown us is how much your dear Dad adored you, our Tan ... just reading he gave up traveling so his little girl would know who her daddy was - beautiful!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri May 04, 2012 10:57 am

You weren't permitted toys in the bedroom, Joelle! I'm sure your Mom was a lovely lady but gosh, what better place to have our beloved toys but in the bedroom to protect us in the dark night. Some of my treasures 3287203023 flower

Our girls had to keep their toys in their bedrooms and were only permitted to bring one or two out to the living room, etc at a time - and then put them back before bringing out others.

Would like to say I did it because I thought children should have their toys near them (which I do) ... but in reality it was to keep our home from turning into a toy store and Glen and I tripping over stuff constantly - huge grin!

Back to top Go down

Post by June on Fri May 04, 2012 11:39 am

No rules like that in my grandchildrens' homes. They have toys upstairs and down Very Happy
June
June
June
June

Back to top Go down

Post by Maywalk on Fri May 04, 2012 11:49 am

Beautiful keepsakes Tan. It sounds as though you were a much loved child for your dad to give up his travelling for you.

Were you the only child?????????
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk

http://www.memorylanehf.oddquine.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Fri May 04, 2012 1:16 pm

Dad so liked the Zulu Warrior Shield Mara as he bought that after some of the Sailors watched a parade where the Zulu's were dancing, so brilliantly too he said, so the shield was a reminder of those times, as the Bone Yacht as well, he made several years lately from the kits that can be bought, he eventually gave them away to my Uncle, but they really were so nice.

Yes I am going to start using the serving spoon and the fruit spoons, as you say they can be used for soup as well, it will be much better to use them with memories at the time, than keep them in the case there, also that's a wonderful idea of yours regarding the Goblets, they will look lovely on the table, thank you for that thought..

I can remember a few times Mum using the cup and saucer, also having cake on the cake plate at teatime, but I know it wasn't used to much, so I guess now it was a special time, maybe for my Grandma as she loved China as I certainly do..
I will make a cup of tea in that later, and sit for a while with my memories, then I think I place it back in my cabinet, they are so very delicate, so I feel best for them to be on display more than use, but one look at them sweeps me back to those lovely times seeing them there.

I love the detail on the near-bisque ornaments, (I didn't know what they were until you enlightened me, so thank you for that Mara), they really seen alive, as if they could just walk off with what they are carrying.

I know my dad kept papers in the embossed biscuit tin, no idea where he got it from, but I will get it polished one day, just thinking now what might be the best to use for doing that..

My Dad and I always were so very close, I loved him more than words can say, and I miss him every single day, in fact sometimes still I sense him so very much, that is so warming for me still..
I so loved my Mum too, but sadly due to how her illness took her mind away so often, it was hard to form a bond that I so wanted, she really was a lovely lady, but so troubled as well, this lay heavy on me a lot in my childhood, and sadly that closeness was hard to draw in, but we knew in our ways we loved each other dearly..

Yes my Dad was heartbroken Maisie, I was told when he came home as there was only me, and Mum, so when I asked who he was, he cried, as naturally when he got home from one boat trip, he hugged Mum and went to pick me up, I cried so much, so that is what swayed him to pack it all in, just did the one last trip that he had signed up when the boat docked, and that was it.

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Nev on Fri May 04, 2012 1:38 pm

Whatever you do Tan, do not try to polish or clean that biscuit tin other than a wipe to remove dust, the patina of it is a big part of its value. Though the paint may be a bit scratched, and even missing in places, cleaning will remove the rest and its value to a collector would fall.

Nev

Back to top Go down

Post by Joelle on Fri May 04, 2012 1:50 pm

June wrote:
No rules like that in my grandchildrens' homes. They have toys upstairs and down Very Happy
No there were no rules like that with my children or grandchildren June, it was just my mum though a bedroom and bed was a place to sleep and not to play with toys, we could only read in bed when we were poorly too but my children read every night in bed don't know what she would think about children having their own TVs in their bedrooms Giggle
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Fri May 04, 2012 2:40 pm

Oo, thank you for that advice Nev, I will leave it as it is then.. Very Happy

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Nemo on Fri May 04, 2012 3:43 pm

Tv toys games fridges you name it now , a home can soon get over taken with childrens toys and a lot of extra work for the parents as well but if tidy and a corner or box its fine you all live together ,
It was always shoes with me how could I lose shoes from getting home to going to school the next day , the logical thing was put away and they are there later but never used to be like that chuckles
Captain Nemo
Captain Nemo
~ God Bless you our Captain Nemo ~
~ God Bless you our Captain Nemo ~

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri May 04, 2012 4:12 pm

Your Mom, like mine, would likely assuredly have been horrified at the very idea of children having televisions in their bedrooms, Joelle - gentle grin.

Must admit we didn't let our girls have them in theirs either ... dinners were sit down affairs and evenings spent being a family rather than holed up in their rooms with a TV ... aah, yes, I was a meanie mommy - smile.

And I'm so glad Nev mentioned about not polishing off the old patina from the bisquit box, Tan ... value aside (as I suspect you'll never sell it), all polished up it may end up looking brand new - eek!

Perhaps the box can hold tiny treasures you've accumulated through the years? I have a box (not nearly as lovely as yours) and it's stuffed with wee things (a small rock found and given to me with wet kisses by a grandbaby, a favourite snapshot,etc etc) ... and sometimes I just sit down and rummage through it and remember.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri May 04, 2012 4:14 pm

I had to smile at your comment re shoes, our Captain!

My poor Mother and Father were forever telling me to put away my shoes as I had a dreadful habit of kicking them off anywhere and everywhere (much preferring bare feet inside and out).

Don't have that problem now as, while I can't remember when it started, we all take our shoes off as soon as we come in the door.

Tan, I don't doubt for a moment you still think of your Mom and each and every day miss your dear Dad - gentle hug.

Back to top Go down

Post by June on Sat May 05, 2012 12:45 am

I'm sure we all miss our respective mums and dads, whatever their failings.

You must have been so glad when your dad stopped sailing Tan as you didn't have much time with your parents, more relations, so it's no wonder you miss him now.

What work did he do after the Navy ?
June
June
June
June

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Sat May 05, 2012 10:45 am

There are still some papers of Dads in the biscuit box, and I have found some more treasures of his, so they are in there now, lovely keepsake tin for sure our Mara, nice to sit back and look through them again in the future, like you will with yours, amazing how the years then can drift away thinking of them..

I was the same our Joelle, no televison in my bedroom, plenty of books though, and teddies, but actual toys were kept in a cupboard downstairs, as it was said 'Bedrooms are for quietly reading before bed, to go to sleep, and to get changed', other than that time was spent downstairs.

When I stayed with my Auntie's and Uncle's, mainly in Torquay and sometimes in Southampton, I was allowed to stay up a bit later.
It was hard our June of course to be here, there, and everywhere, as a child/youngster but I was well looked after, and sometimes my Dad was with me, just all part of my life back then.

Dad went to work in numerous jobs, an Uncle was a live in caretaker at a cigarette factory there called Chings, he got my dad work, and also dad worked in a fish delivery shop, he teased me terribly when he came home often as he said give me a hug, I ran a mile as he smelled so fishy.. chuckles

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by June on Sat May 05, 2012 10:51 am

My dad once worked in a Chapel-of-Rest and as a tyre-fitter at Bury bus depot. He didn't like either of the jobs.
June
June
June
June

Back to top Go down

Post by Joelle on Sat May 05, 2012 10:57 am

My dad was a joiner but he worked at a joiner/undertakers and sometimes was roped in to help make coffins if they were busy, he used to tease me by bringing a bit of shroud out of his pocket ( what they lined the coffins with I think) and say do you need a handkerchief, I hated it when he had to do that, normally he just did the general joinery work.
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Nev on Sat May 05, 2012 11:23 am

I suppose my dad was lucky in that he took an apprenticeship as a painter and decorator, qualified well before the war, so it came in handy during the war as he got put in charge of camouflage painting the buildings and roofs of them on an air strip in Scotland.
After the war he worked as foreman painter for a medium sized company, then went self employed till ill health stopped him. There wasn't anything he didn't know about any part of decorating, from decorative plastering to graining a panelled door to make it look like a solid piece of oak.

Nev

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum