Some of my treasures

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Re: Some of my treasures

Post by Tan on Mon May 07, 2012 6:33 am

I bet it did linger for a long while that smell Captain, doubt my dad would have been flavour of the month...hehe.
I won't use the knife, but I will keep it as safe as Dad did for all those years..
I think dad was about 8 or 9 when that happened, so he had it 70 years...

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Mon May 07, 2012 8:35 am

Here is the knife now with the handle looking better.. Laughing

These are some brass pieces.
A beer barrel/keg, pestle and mortar, wheelbarrow, old type telephone, washing tub, kettle, coffee pot, saucepan, pots and a bellow.

And it would be interesting if anyone knows what these are, and what type of metal they are made from, as I have no idea at all.

The small one has Pallisers - Wolverhampton embossed underneath and around the top edge there is a number 20 embossed on it.

The larger Jug/Tankard has E R 39 embossed at the top, also VR 567 and a Shield.
Underneath it there is written Hand Beaten 1098 W

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Joelle on Mon May 07, 2012 8:55 am

These are lovely Tan, the last ones look a bit like pewter and look very old.
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle

http://www.pamspoetry.yolasite.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Mon May 07, 2012 8:57 am

Thank you Joelle, Very Happy never knew what they are made from, I must have been told at one time, but all slipped my mind..

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Nev on Mon May 07, 2012 9:22 am

Very hard to tell from a photo, but the two handled bowl and the large jug are possibly the old leaded pewter, the smaller tankard in the foreground looks more bronze though it could also be pewter and a trick of the light giving it a lighter and browny colour.
Pewter is a metal alloy of mainly tin, some antimony some copper and originally a small amount of lead. The lead gave it the darker grey colour, modern pewter doesn't contain any lead and is therefore a lighter silvery metal.
Bronze on the other hand is a metal alloy of mainly copper and a much smaller amount of tin, and once aged has a brown cast to the colour.

Nev
~ God Bless you our Nev ~
~ God Bless you our Nev ~

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Mon May 07, 2012 9:28 am

Thank you too Nev, so interesting to learn that bit more.
The smaller tankard, and the jug, do look slightly different in colour on the photo, although I have them sat here now, and they do look a very close match in shade, but the jug is slightly a tiny bit darker, and thicker.
They are both weighty, yet the bowl is a lot lighter in weight.

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Joelle on Mon May 07, 2012 9:34 am

You can see on the bowl how it has been beaten into it's shape Tan, it is very intriguing. I wonder how old it is in fact all of them look old.
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle

Back to top Go down

Post by honeybee on Mon May 07, 2012 9:35 am

wow stunning our tanbubs
honeybee
honeybee
Our Smilie Queen
Our Smilie Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Mon May 07, 2012 9:43 am

I really wish I knew how old they are our Joelle, so interesting it will be to find out more, Very Happy I will see if I can find any where on google for the markings, that would maybe be a good start, just never thought about it before, they were given to me by my Grandad, but not too sure how long he had them.

It's just one day he gave me a mouth organ, not got that any longer, but I took an interest in the pots, and he just gave them to me, they had been in a cabinet for a while, but then eventually they got put into a safe box..

Thank you our Honeybee, we are all getting our lovely treasures out, surprising isn't it to have so many for so long, then in conversation they come back to mind to get them out and talk about them.. Very Happy

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Joelle on Mon May 07, 2012 9:48 am

Tan maybe you could send a photo to your local museum to see what they think? I should imagine you could do it on line.
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Mon May 07, 2012 10:04 am

That is a very good idea Joelle, maybe I could even take them with me next time I go to town as planning to soon, I could take them to the Bolton Museum, sure there will be someone that could give me an idea about the age of them, or even maybe there might be something similar on Ebay being sold and some detail has been given.. Thank You

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by June on Mon May 07, 2012 10:58 am

I agree with the others that they look like pewter. Some pewter items are quite valuable.
June
June
June
June

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Mon May 07, 2012 11:26 am

I had a little root June around google, and this I found..

Brass and copperware (and pewter) pieces are sometimes found marked "Pallisers" of Wolverhampton. Pallisers were bar fitters and it is not known that they had their own metal working factory. It is likely that these pieces were made for them by others.

Also most of the older pieces are 19th Century.
There are a few on Ebay similar, and also it looks like the bowl I have was mainly used to keep sugar in.

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by June on Mon May 07, 2012 11:30 am

All the information is out there. The info. on Ebay is not always reliable though as with the stoneware I collect I have seen loads of wrong descriptions about age, etc. and I sometimes e-mail the sellers to put them right.
June
June
June
June

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Mon May 07, 2012 11:33 am

There were so many places to look at when I has looking around, just really a rough idea I was looking for, but if like many say want to sell their items and very much need all the correct information then they have to be careful for sure.

Needing really to go, or contact the places who really know what they are talking about, or of course the sellers could be in dire trouble if they've sold their wares wrongly described..

Naturally I am not thinking of selling these, but just to know a little more about them, and even the codes and inscriptions on them..

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Joelle on Mon May 07, 2012 11:35 am

Yes I think the museum is the place Tan. It will be interesting to find out.
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Mon May 07, 2012 11:36 am

I will take them for sure Joelle, see what they can tell me, thank you for mentioning that and I will be interested what they say, hopefully some helpful staff there of course.. Very Happy

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by June on Mon May 07, 2012 11:52 am

The local museum is your best bet. Nodding Yes
June
June
June
June

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Mon May 07, 2012 11:57 am

I will go soon June, it will be interesting to find out if possible all that I would like to know.. Very Happy

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by June on Mon May 07, 2012 12:00 pm

When I researched my pottery it took years and I began the trail with information that two other collectors already had and the sellers I mentioned always thanked me for the information. I even sent copies of the history of the pottery to some.
June
June
June
June

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Mon May 07, 2012 12:26 pm

That would have been a great help for them June, so kind of you to share what you had learned with them.

I just looked at a few on Ebay, not much information with them, so they are in the same place I am really, quite limited with the knowledge of them, but I am more than I was earlier knowing they are Pewter for a start and where to go and ask for more information, so that's a good start too.

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon May 07, 2012 10:41 pm

Oh gosh, it would be so hard to pick a favourite from your lovely treasures, Tan ... but both the coffee (cocoa?) and tea pot are so wonderful!

I'm sure our Joelle is right and those other three items are made from pewter ... and really interesting information about things like this, Nev. I can't bear to drink from pewter (don't know why but things always taste 'odd' to me) but gosh, Tan could tuck handfulls of Buttercups in each and have great little vases.

My estranged Mother-In-Law has some old pewter steins (with lids) and they are apparently worth a fortune, as you thought, June ... and how nice of you to let sellers know the correct information about pottery, etc ... it's quite amazing how easy it is to make mistakes and sellers really do need to be accurate.

Our Honeybee ... didn't you at one time think you may have some wee treasures tucked away under the stairs or something? ... did you ever get a chance to rummage through the boxes, I wonder?

Do hope you can find further details about the pounded pewter in particlar, Tan .... please don't forget to let us know if you do.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Tue May 08, 2012 12:08 am

I so know how you mean our Mara about drinking from the pewter, Laughing as it would be like drinking out of metal and I don't fancy that idea, bit like the tin cups my grandad had, he always had his tea in those, said it tasted good, I tried it once, but not for me, I like the china cups more... Very Happy
I certainly will let known what I find out about the pewter, be interesting to learn that bit more.

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum