Your memories from when the war ended, or during the war?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Your memories from when the war ended, or during the war? Empty Your memories from when the war ended, or during the war?

Post by Tan on Tue May 08, 2012 10:11 am

Our Maisie has kindly added this link..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/events/ve_day

Do you have memories from when the war ended, or of during the war, that you would like to share with us?, or maybe some you remember your family telling you about?.

Your memories from when the war ended, or during the war? Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRqWXQCUQyvHWF5OiRQgT0VvsNDFZGMuU48Ohpqmsjw9WKr5zCjdA

Last edited by Tanooma on Tue May 08, 2012 12:10 pm; edited 2 times in total

Your memories from when the war ended, or during the war? EtTVO4p Your memories from when the war ended, or during the war? EQ4iqb9 Your memories from when the war ended, or during the war? Smilie20  Your memories from when the war ended, or during the war? 1499845164
Tan
Tan
TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Your memories from when the war ended, or during the war? Empty Re: Your memories from when the war ended, or during the war?

Post by June on Tue May 08, 2012 11:20 am

I only remember what my mum told me, and my dad, but it's just the same as the other memories that I've read here. Nothing new.
June
June
June
June

Back to top Go down

Your memories from when the war ended, or during the war? Empty Re: Your memories from when the war ended, or during the war?

Post by Guest on Tue May 08, 2012 7:58 pm

I have no memories of the war but my brother was in the Air Force and brother-in-law in the Army. Sadly, both died before it ever occured to me to ask them about what it was like for themselves and their friends.

The video at the link site doesn't like me (living in the 'wrong' Country - huge smile) but the text part on the site was ever so interesting to read (thanks Maisie and Tan).

Just wondering ... know food was rationed in England ... but was it still possible to get enough to eat, just with the selection not being what one would have normally chosen?

Back to top Go down

Post by June on Tue May 08, 2012 11:54 pm

From what my mum told me, and the rationing went on after the war so I remember using a ration book and still have it, it was fresh fruit and eggs that were in short supply be they used dried egg. Meat was hard to get as well.
June
June
June
June

Back to top Go down

Post by nordog on Wed May 09, 2012 3:21 am

My mum told me, that as she was giving birth to me a V2 bomb hit the ground not to far from the hospital and I was under the table in no time at all.
nordog
nordog
Nordog
Nordog

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Wed May 09, 2012 4:10 am

So sorry to hear your Brother and Brother-in-Law have since died our Mara, like you say these things we don't often think of asking about like the war or how they all lived during it and getting back to a form of normality after the war.

I never thought that rationing was still going on after the war, but of course thinking about it now like you say our June that would be, as doubt a lot of things that was available before the war would maybe be hard to get back again in normal supplies, maybe too as fast as some came in, as fast they were bought up too, maybe in quantities by people, and then not enough for everyone to get.
Only thinking this, maybe I am wrong in my thoughts.

I do remember seeing some rationing books that had not been used, think I have one thinking about it, that was given to me for keepsake, petrol one I am sure it is, will find it and take a photo.

That must have been an awful shock for your Mum there our Nordog, at least you were both safe and sound thank goodness.. hug

Your memories from when the war ended, or during the war? EtTVO4p Your memories from when the war ended, or during the war? EQ4iqb9 Your memories from when the war ended, or during the war? Smilie20  Your memories from when the war ended, or during the war? 1499845164
Tan
Tan
TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by June on Wed May 09, 2012 6:22 am

I'm sure we've talked about this before but this tells you all about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rationing_in_the_United_Kingdom

Rationing did not end completely until 1954. I was 10 years' old then so I well remember it.
June
June
June
June

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Wed May 09, 2012 7:36 am

That really is a long time afterwards, to think the rationing fully ended just one year before I was born.
So interesting to learn about this, and of course I appreciate all that has been added over the months from so many with their memories too..
Thank you June for the link, will look at that..

This is the Motor Car rationing book I remembered I have.

Your memories from when the war ended, or during the war? Pictur58

Your memories from when the war ended, or during the war? Pictur60

At the back of the front cover

Your memories from when the war ended, or during the war? Pictur54

Your memories from when the war ended, or during the war? Pictur55

These are the coupons that were allowed to be used each month, the book goes from 1-6 months.

Your memories from when the war ended, or during the war? Pictur56

And what is written on the back cover..

Your memories from when the war ended, or during the war? Pictur57

Tan
Tan
TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by June on Wed May 09, 2012 10:57 am

We didn't have one of those as we had no car. My dad rode a bike around during the blackout.
June
June
June
June

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed May 09, 2012 2:10 pm

Seeing the gas coupons is fascinating to me, Tan - thanks so much for finding and photographing it to share with us.

I guess if one used all the coupons up prior to qualifying for anymore, even if they were used for emergencies, guess one was simply out of luck.

Gosh, June ... it must have been scary at times for your Dad to be on his bike during the black-outs! I'm sure seeing anything clearly must have been hard, let along the roadway!

Back to top Go down

Post by nordog on Thu May 10, 2012 4:36 am

In 1955 my step father was on his bike riding home on the main road, a journey of 4 miles he was about a mile from home when some how he came off striking his head on the stone wall that edge the road (no pavement or grass bank) I was on the top deck of the bus bring me and my class mates home from the school Christmas party about 21:30 hrs. He suffered a fractured Skull and was in Frenchay Hospital Bristol 40 miles away, for months loosing his stoking job at Frome Selwood Hospital and never worked again. Now you know why I never ride my bike with out my helmet on. To this day I don't know if he was hit by a vehicle or collapsed on his own.
nordog
nordog
Nordog
Nordog

Back to top Go down

Post by Cat on Thu May 10, 2012 6:48 am

i can remember very clearly during the black out having to take a torch with us to find the edge of the curb.They weren't very bright torches in them days either.You aimed the torch on the ground a couple of steps in front of you and hoped for the best.Wonder how the youngsters of to-day would cope with that situation.
Cat
Cat
Cat
Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu May 10, 2012 9:50 am

Oh goodness, what heartbreak for both your step-father and I'm sure your dear Mother too, Nordog. I makes me shudder that the poor man's skull was fractured from the fall off his bike in the dark and it's no wonder you never get on your bike without your helmut securely on your head. I'm just so dreadfully sorry this happened and what a life-altering thing to happen to not just your parents, but I'm sure to your life as well, as a boy, kind man.

Few of even my generation, let along the youngsters of today, would fare very well without lighting on the streets and outside homes, etc when night falls, our Cat.

Where I live, although in the suburbs and not downtown, there is always man-controlled light ... but when we used to visit my precious sister on the Prairies, when night fell and we went to bed, it was so pitch black that literally Glen and I couldn't see each other even in bed. A tad disconcerting at first as although I remembered it from other visits, it's always takes a bit getting used to. I hate to have to try walking anywhere, even with a brighter torch than was available years ago - eek!

Back to top Go down

Post by nordog on Thu May 10, 2012 9:55 am

Bet you had a good view of the Milky Way Mara. Mind you if you fell you would be seeing stars.
nordog
nordog
Nordog
Nordog

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu May 10, 2012 10:20 am

Your memories from when the war ended, or during the war? 35720

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Thu May 10, 2012 11:18 am

So very sorry to hear what happened our Nordog to your step father, and losing his job too, such deep sadness all round.

Such a shock to all your family. Pleased to hear you wear your helmet and take care as much as you can, accidents of course sadly do happen, but to minimise the injuries with helmets worn are worthwhile wearing them.

Goes to show just how dark it was our Cat, dangerous too, many would have taken there time in walking around to avoid tripping up, hope that never happened to you out there at those times.

So very dark there too our Mara, must have been scary and of course like you say hard to get used to.

I am not brave at all at night in the dark, I avoid that at all costs.

Tan
Tan
TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by June on Fri May 11, 2012 12:01 am

You can actually see much better in the dark when there are no distracting street lights and my dad's eye condition meant he could see better in the dark anyway. He was on fire-watch duties.

Today's youngsters couldn't manage without a hairdryer, never mind lights Giggle
June
June
June
June

Back to top Go down

Post by Maywalk on Sun May 13, 2012 2:03 am

I was just coming up to the age of 15 when the war finished.

There was dancing in the streets and sandwiches, although meagre in what was in them due to the rationing, were being dished out, plus any ale that anyone managed to get.

In fact my mother got one or two strong youngsters to help her get the piano outside the front door and asked me to start playing it. WHAT a super night we had with EVERYONE joining in and doing a knees up. Very Happy

Pity we cant have a few more street do's like that it might help to make folk more friendly.

We are having a street party here for the coming Jubilee. It will be lovely getting to know the neighbours who are all younger than hubby and I.
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk
Maywalk

http://www.memorylanehf.oddquine.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Nemo on Sun May 13, 2012 3:39 am

Im only a youngster so only have the experience of my parents and grandparents of the war it always amazed me how so much devastation and fear and worry and yet folks came through and with so little ,just managed and got on with it ,and the sacrifice and decency seemed to be brought out in so many ,
I read about all the accidents in the Towns with Cars and vehicles driving at night with black out lights that must be frightening Pedestrians walking in Darkness and vehicles driving in the Dark Thank You
Captain Nemo
Captain Nemo
~ God Bless you our Captain Nemo ~

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon May 14, 2012 5:35 pm

I can only imagine the excitement with you playing the piano your dear Mom managed to get outside and the dancing and estatic smiles, Maisie! Am pretty sure it wouldn't have mattered what was in the sandwiches as the very thought of the slaughter having ended would have been beyond words.

Perhaps it's because people have a tendency to move every couple years or so over here, but block parties are pretty much never held, unfortunately. But how I hope you have such a grand time at the one to celebrate the Jubilee, Maisie - and if you get a chance could you get some pictures too?

You must have been fascinated hearing the stories from your relatives, Captain ... here, the memories of the civilians during the War would be vastly different of course, especially if they'd been living on a farm rather than in a city, perhaps.

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Nemo on Wed May 16, 2012 4:08 am

Mara when younger when Dad started about the war I turned off typical youngster more interested in now , but as I got a bit older was able to ask and listen and understand a lot more and now have a lot of his memories and some of what he had been through ,
Like you say about the Civilians in Wiltshire where I grew up there was apart from a few Pill boxes no sign of the war life went on and even rationing took away some luxuries but the country mentality of make do and mend wasnt just a war time trait and most grew there own food anyway and the likes of Rabbits and Pidgeons substituted meals ,
However in the cities and towns it was very different with the bombing and the shortages and all the death and distruction , from what I understood the Farm that I worked on as a Boy had one Bomb as we are on a direct route to Bristol from Germany it looked like after a Bombing run to Bristol they had Docks and clear access to the Atlantic but on the return journey it seems one Bomb was stuck and they once armed wanted it out the plane so it looks like the bomb came loose over the Farm it hit the ground and went off in the fields it didnt do a lot of damage didnt break the windows but as the door was open the blast slammed the door so hard it broke the lock off,
I broke a long drill bit once and that Farmer went on and on for flipping years about the cost and how I broke his drill so im sure as soon as that bomb went off he was writing to Hitler and his forces complaining and demanding a new door lock he went on at me about that drill, so im sure he positively hated them Germans chuckles
Captain Nemo
Captain Nemo

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Nemo on Wed May 16, 2012 4:21 am

I can remember several stories of local folks in the Village one was a Miss Bella Lynch an elderly Lady and when talking to her she was saying how her Brother was killed in the War he was part of the Aircrew on a Lancaster Bomber and was in one of the Lancasters that was shot down over the Dams when they went to Germany to drop the famous Bouncing bomb but he was killed there on that Mission and only a few years before I moved away I was walking Parsley and an Elderly Lady was always walking her Dog as well and with talking to her I found out she was Dutch and was a little Girl in the war and how her Job she lived in Amsterdam full of Germans but she was saying how her job was to take Messages to the various resistance folk around if caught she would have been Tortured to give up all she knew and shot but she wasnt shot and she was only a small child and so didnt get the attention of the Nazi's in the same way but she said very often she would be running and playing in the streets before delivering what she had on her so as not to cause suspicion but she would have Grenades and sometimes a Pistol or ammunition hidden in her bloomers so very brave to her it was a game but shows trhe desperation of the time ,
And you may have heard how a Squadron off Mosquito Bombers 633 Squadron flew into Amsterdam very low to Bomb the Gestapo HQ the accounts say the aircraft were below roof height at times flying in the city but something went wrong and one Bomb missed the Target and hit a Primary school and so many children were killed but she was saying how she remembered that , just little snippets of History but I have no reason to doubt any of there words it just shows when you see someone maybe Elderly, the history and experiences they had if you can get them to speak are absolutely amazing,
Captain Nemo
Captain Nemo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed May 16, 2012 2:42 pm

As you said, Captain, these type of "little snippets of History" are fascinating ... and people like our lovely Maisie are treasures indeed for so, so many reasons.

One of the reasons being that while we're taught about the bombs and planes and can see pilot's stories, etc ... very little has ever been shared of the day to day life of the 'on ground' everyday heros - the civilians who simply forged ahead and go things done and coped the very best they could.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Wed May 16, 2012 2:48 pm

It's always so very interesting to read like everyone has written, be it first hand, or passed down information, it makes history that bit more interesting, as most what is read in books at school, has mainly been copied from one place to another, but to get to read of the real living, the real nitty gritty so to speak, fills in so many spaces that history books just don't seem to cover, and if they do it's only snippets.

Tan
Tan
TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed May 16, 2012 3:26 pm

So very true, Tan!

I often have an urge to tempt our seniors that lived during that period with endless tea and treats while a microphone and/or video runs - huge smile.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next