Old documents

Go down

Old documents  Empty Old documents

Post by Guest on Fri May 25, 2012 6:45 am

Do other members hang on to old documents to do with their familes.
During WW2 my mother always kept any birth and wedding certificates and many more old papers that she wanted to stay in the family in her handbag that was taken in the air-raid shelter every night without fail.
That handbag went everywhere with her and I am glad it did because I have quite a lot of interesting documation to look back on.

My hubbys mother used to keep old documents too and while looking through my case that everything is kept in I came across his fathers discharge from WW1. If anyone is interested here it is.
This is the outside of the document

Old documents  11ijqy1

This is the inside.

Old documents  2wnptex

Back to top Go down

Old documents  Empty Re: Old documents

Post by Nev on Fri May 25, 2012 7:26 am

Unfortunately my parents had little sense of history so very few documents were saved other than the important day to day stuff such birth certificate for each of them, but older stuff such as their parents things were thrown away, they thought they had no further use you see.
Myself on the other hand, I have always kept stuff, I have some wage slips from when I was an apprentice, taking home sixteen pounds a week at one point. I earn that in two hours now.

Nev
~ God Bless you our Nev ~

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri May 25, 2012 11:45 am

How long ago was that Nev Very Happy
When you earned £16 a week I mean.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri May 25, 2012 11:50 am

I love to see old documents like this, Maisie - thanks so very much for sharing this and others with us as I too love history and each of these papers are so important!

Like you, Nev, I don't have many old family documents, but for different reasons. In our family, the oldest son got everything so although I can access them when visiting 1,500 miles ago, it's far from the same thing as having some in my possession.

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Nemo on Sat May 26, 2012 3:55 am

It can seem so insignificant today as it will have in the past but interesting documents really fascinate an interested mind in the future even the mundane a Tesco's shopping receipt imagine that in 100 years or some of the many leaflets and flyers its lovely to see the old adds and claims but this can become almost an obsession and collecting everything Ele Unsure
Captain Nemo
Captain Nemo
~ God Bless you our Captain Nemo ~
~ God Bless you our Captain Nemo ~

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat May 26, 2012 12:57 pm

Very true, Captain!

And each document Maisie has will undoubtedly be a true treasure to her Granddaughter and great-grandchildren one day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nev on Sat May 26, 2012 1:04 pm

I was still an apprentice electrician at the time Maisie and would have been before 1969 but not sure exactly which year. However, around the time I started work, the craftsman electricians were happy that the union had negotiated a rise up to £21 a week for a fully qualified electrician.
To find out for sure which year would take some time to go delving into all the old stuff I have.

Nev

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat May 26, 2012 1:09 pm

I hope you can find your old stuff and will share with us, Nev - would love to see them, too!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat May 26, 2012 1:24 pm

Like Mara I too would be interested in seeing any old documents or photos that the members own.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat May 26, 2012 4:07 pm

I put a bit of stuff in my 'Diary' section, Maisie, if you like to take a peek some time.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum