Rationing Books

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Rationing Books - Page 2 Empty Re: Rationing Books

Post by Joelle on Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:31 pm

I agree with all that is said but I think another thing missing these days is pride and respect. Although my mum and dad never owned their own house, dad always decorated it well and mum took great pride in cleaning everything, even scouring the steps and putting an edge on them with donkey stone treating it as there own and with respect. All the neighbours did. Now it seems pride in being British has diminished although the Olympics and the Torch relay brought that back for a while
but where has the respect gone for elders, for school teachers, for police, for people in authority? etc. I cringe when I see and hear some of the young people, and older ones these days, they expect everything given as their right. I heard a girl on the bus with a baby talking to a friend on her latest mobile phone, telling her she had 'got' a house and they were 'giving' her a cooker, washer, double bed, but she had to provide the TV herself!! We are paying for all that! We never had much in the old days, but we did have pride and respect.
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle

http://www.pamspoetry.yolasite.com

Back to top Go down

Post by June on Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:34 pm

Yes, that's quite right Joelle. That is also missing and we'll all be the worse for it.

I'm so grateful that my children are hard working and have earned everything they have.
June
June
June
June

Back to top Go down

Post by Joelle on Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:00 pm

Mine too June and my grandchildren too. I suppose a lot rests with their upbringing, its sad really isn't it.
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:57 pm

It's more than sad, dear ones, it's an omen perhaps.

I honestly can't understand how people can feel good to take something for nothing unless circumstances are indeed dire - and even then, so many would have cringed at the very thought.

This is going to sound horrible so please do forgive me if you can ... but something that really struck me is how wonky our society has become in so many ways.

For instance, although I was so very fond of my group of 'mongoloid' people I got on my bus each day (yup, pokey to board and each had to give a hug before they'd be seated but each simply sweethearts)...

... it used to bug me terribly to see a severely mentally handicapped couple that rode the bus frequently.

They had 7 children - all mentally challenged - and along with the family was a permanent full-time government worker as not one of them could manage even simple things on their own, sadly.

A free house and everything in it ... free full time housekeeper and cook, free food, clothes and everything else a family needs including a free gardener and of course free medical and dental and glasses, etc.

While I don't begrudge the couple the free things, I did (and do) not see why it is their "right" to keep breeding. Apparently in the Court case, the Human Rights decided they did have that right - but in turn, so many sad retarded children and such an expense to the rest of us.

And what really boggles my mind is here in Canada, if an adult child lives with parents and is not working, Welfare actually pays the parents for their keep. Yup, mind-boggling to me.

Anyway, hope I haven't alienated everyone with me thoughts - if so, give me pre-warning and I'll duck the stoning - gentle smile.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:02 pm

Everyone cared so much for everything that they had, and in their homes, as they saved so very hard for everything, and I feel the harder it is to get something, the more it is treasured, and appreciated, sadly too many these days want it 'now', and of course that brings worries galore in the having to pay back all the loans.
I always live by, if I can't afford it, then I either save, or I don't have it..

No stoning at all our Mara. Very Happy

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Joelle on Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:41 pm

No certainly no stoning Mara, that is terrible ,for the children especially, and when they grow up will they do the same I wonder. I know it is my pet subject and I have said on here before but in this day and age there is no need for any unwanted pregnancies. The pill, the morning after pill etc takes care of that. In my grandparents and even my parents time family planning wasn't readily available and women had to have the large families also sadly young girls were often 'caught out' and suffered the consequences, now they are brazen about having children and no partner or husband, get a house furniture, rent and everything paid.

That is what they should stop when the governments want to cut down. Women and couples should be able to afford babies and be able to look after them themselves and everything that goes with it or take precautions. It would soon stop I'm sure if they didn't get all the free hand outs.
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:43 pm

So true, Tan and Joelle.

Perhaps our Government should start giving allowance to people choosing not to have children rather than financially supporting so many that seem to ignore the fact that they can't support a child let alone a gaggle of them - sigh.

(And no, the children I mentioned will never improved, sadly, Joelle. So severely handicapped not one of them could cope with even basic things such as knowing to sit on a seat by him or herself.

The government worker would help each up the stairs then I'd have to leave my seat and lead each to a seat on the bus. Absolutely horrible. I'm afraid I'd be tempted to dissolve birth control pills in the mother's drink each morning - sigh. But then again, 'Human Rights' says I'm wrong).

Back to top Go down

Post by June on Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:56 pm

'Human Rights' has a lot to answer for.
June
June
June
June

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:50 am

Yes, they mean well but gracious - sigh.

I am curious about the ration books ... did they apply to things one would normally buy in a drugstore too, I wonder?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2