How did you play as a child?.

Go down

How did you play as a child?. Empty How did you play as a child?.

Post by Tan on Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:19 pm

Let's hear about what you used to play with as a child, be it board games, skipping, cowboys and injuns How did you play as a child?. Icon_biggrin
What did you do to pass the day?..

I used to like playing on the beach, trying to catch little crabs and prising limpets off the rocks!.
Also I loved my skipping ropes with the tinkly bells on the handles!.
I liked Tiddlywinks and playing Snap and Clock card games!.
So many will come to mind over the day to add here I am sure!.

Now over to you!. How did you play as a child?. Icon_biggrin

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

How did you play as a child?. Empty Re: How did you play as a child?.

Post by honeybee on Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:22 am

I used my moms broom, tied my skipping rope as a harness and oh we gallops all over the garden. I did get into trouble when the brush of the broom came off.
I loved hope scotch and goons(marbles. Made a little hole in the driveway when it had not been cemented yet. and play for hours on my own flicking the marbles in the hole. Invariably I played on my own . As I said my sister was such a cry baby and if i won she would cry. Those tears got on my nerves How did you play as a child?. 319712
honeybee
honeybee
Our Smilie Queen
Our Smilie Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Joelle on Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:04 am

I used to do the same as you Honey ort simply run arounf slapping my backside and galloping, pretending I was on a horse. I played with a ball against the wall, tippled up to the wall, hopscotch, skipping, whip and top, conkers, hide and seek, statues, all those sort of games. We also played at being soldiers and marching all over in a line with a stick for a rifle. We played at schools, shops and had concerts inour cellars and charged our parents a penny each to watch!! We sang all the time, played at Film stars where you gave the initials and everyone had to guess the film star then it was their turn. I think my favourite game was playing at hospitals with my dolls and teddy as patients.Ooo I could go on and on.
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle

http://www.pamspoetry.yolasite.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Nemo on Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:55 am

Hello Folks i remember spending many hours away in the fields and the large woods very close by just exploring and building dens, also with wellies on going miles along the stream through fields and under tracks it was fun and deep in places ,used to get filthy and wet and cut to blazes,

I had an old bike it was old then and very heavy but used to chase around, and there was a gravel pit a few miles away naturally told not to go there so we did, so much rubbish to look through not household all machinery and things and old cars , i used to love taking things apart fridges radios anything ,

I didnt have a lot of toys as such but had so much fun with things found and we had a nice playing field with swings slide and a real steam roller to climb on and a seesaw and the village bus shelter , we didnt spend a lot of time at home unless wet and i soon had a weekend job on a farm and an evening Paper round, and i didnt read books that came much later was always to impatient to sit quietly
Captain Nemo
Captain Nemo
~ God Bless you our Captain Nemo ~

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:31 pm

Outdoors, it was marbles, hopscotch, whip and top... I remember chalking a pattern on the top of them, also had a skipping rope and roller skates, throwing two balls against the wall. Joelle you just reminded me my friend and I used to make up a dance routine on our roller skates, put on a show in her backyard and charge our friends to come and see us. Indoors it would be snap, dominoes, snakes and ladders, other board games and jigsaws.

Sometimes we'd take a picnic of a bottle of water and some egg sandwiches to the nearby park.

When I moved to the Middle East it was swimming, cycling and sports that took up my time.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nev on Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:33 pm

Boy will be boys eh Captain, much the same here for me too. Before I could ride a bike and even after though, there were quite a few lads living in the area of around my age, so we would build dens with whatever we found, planks, sheets of hardboard, pieces of tin or thin steel sheet, they all came in handy to make a crude shelter. All found on the local spare land and was really someone else's rubbish that had been thrown out.
Bonfire night and the lead up to it was something special though, going out and around the streets looking for any wood of any sort that could be had for the bonfire.
Then of course off into the surrounding country on my bike, cycling round Ribchester, then on to Whalley then Clitheroe.
Of course while still young enough to be at junior school we did play at cowboys and indians, soldiers and all the other make believe things, but god help any girl who came along asking us to join in at being a patient for their games of doctors and nurses. Once bitten but twice shy, never again would any silly little girl wrap me up in yards of bandage like I was an Egyptian mummy.

Nev
~ God Bless you our Nev ~
~ God Bless you our Nev ~

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:08 pm

My best friend and I built a sort of mud and wattle hut in my back garden. We made a sort of wigwam with long sticks and then wove branches all around it. Left a little gap to get in and out and plastered the rest with mud. We got filthy.

She had a tree in her garden and we built a little sort of house up in her tree too. No ladders, we had to climb the tree to get into it. Used to go up there with a sandwich and a bottle of pop.

We used to go to a place where they built caravans and beg for little pieces of wood. Then we brought them home and went into my Dad's shed and made all sorts of things. Tables and chairs for dolls houses...nothing very big but we were pleased with what we made.

To be honest I think we were more like a couple of lads. We found an old pram and took it round to the laundry yard then took it in turns to ride down the slag heaps in the old pram. Its a wonder we never broke any bones.... but it was good fun

We used to go round the streets sweeping up the leaves to make a guy fawkes and made one the size of a full grown man - so he could wear Dad's old clothes.

We used to get a lot of snow in the winters and built igloos in our gardens. Then we would make a lot of snowballs, take them in the igloo and bombard any of the passing boys. Yes, we used to go out with a sledge on the hills and that was how I got my two black eyes and a broken nose. The two of us seemed to have more fun together than any of the other local girls.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cat on Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:53 am

Think i must be the 'lady' ? in this group.
I only have one sister and she would never play baby games with me.
Having no brothers we had to play girly games, no rough and tumble for us.
I spent most of my childhood playing with my dollies and dolls pram.
The girl next door lent me her dolls pram.and a big doll. she had outgrown them,
I never did like the doll, so she was sister to my baby dolly.
The pramwas a proper posh one.It was a minature of a baby carriage.
She never asked for it back.
My Carol doll got treated as a baby.
I made her food out of mud, and feed it to her.
There was always mud pies and cakes drying out on the shed roof.
Then of course they had to be iced over.
Another doop of mud went on top, smoothed over and decorated with leaves and flowers pinched out the garden.
I also had a rabbit and the currants went in the cakes to make fruit cakes.Lol.
But..... i taught my Floppy rabbit to skip with me.
Also did the usual hand stands up the house, cartwheels round the lawn. head stands in the middle,
Played 1 2 3 balls up the wall.
Played skipping out in the road,would start of with about four of us
and finish up with about twenty.
Then we would finish up playing tin, pan alley.
Put a couple of stones in an old tin, squash the top throw it up the road one nominated person had to retrieve it whilst the rest of us run off and hid.
So you see, none of the rough and tumble games for this kid.
Cat
Cat
Cat
Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:01 am

Nice to see you posting Cat.

Just post anywhere you like and have fun Nodding Yes

I do think the games we played as children reflects on whether we had brothers or sisters and how many children of our own age lived nearby.

I had a sister fourteen months older than me, but she never played with my friend and me.

Back to top Go down

Post by honeybee on Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:48 am

I was also ones for playing dolls. I too did not have a brother.
I got a doll when I was 8 for my birthday. I found a box. made holes on either side found some string. Threaded the string through the holes for handles. That was my babies carry cot. I did not have a pram. I used to used the garden wheelbarrow and take her for a walk.
If I had to take her out in the car. I used the couch(as the car) in the lounge. Put a ruler between the cushions for the gears. a little kitchen stool was used as my steering wheel and off we would go.
honeybee
honeybee
Our Smilie Queen
Our Smilie Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Joelle on Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:13 am

I can remember sitting on the settee arm with a dining chair in front of me and string attached in a loop and I was the driver of a horse and trap, such happy days
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Nemo on Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:28 am

Folks this is wonderful to read and reminisce isnt it amazing how with so little and seeming nothing of any real worth we could build and imagine from making imaginary Carriages and Carry cots to building Dens of Mud Cakes , as Children we used our imaginations no computers or electronics just creative imaginations really wonderful
I would doubt if you gave a 5/ 11 year old a pile of boxes and string and junk if they could do much with them today
Captain Nemo
Captain Nemo

Back to top Go down

Post by Joelle on Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:30 am

Yes just what I was thinking Capt. and isn't it a shame, they are missing so much.
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Alan on Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:59 am

When I was young I loved my bicycle and swimming. I would get on my bike and ride for miles out in the countryside. We used to live in Salisbury, Southern Rhodesia (Now Harare, Zimbabwe), and there was so much open space in which to ride. On Saturdays and Sundays I would be out all day on my bike.

I also used to love swimming, although I never became a good swimmer. When I was not riding through the bush, I used to ride to the public swimming pool and spend ages in the pool.

"To know an elephant is to be touched by him - these gentle giants humble mankind. He is nature's greatest Masterpiece." John Donne - Poet
Alan
Alan
Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by nordog on Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:29 pm

Just found this thread, I thought I had found every thing here. Its a pity you have stopped posting here. As it's late I write some of my early fun years. Some are like the Captains and Nev.
nordog
nordog
Nordog
Nordog

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Nemo on Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:56 pm

Nordog one of my favourites was the Village brook it went miles around the fields and used to spend hours in there building dams and getting filthy and dirty , and had several look outs and dens around , all good fun and of course scavenging and finding goodness knows what but always some treasure to get home and have it put in the dustbin or told to return it , chuckles
Captain Nemo
Captain Nemo

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:13 am

Such lovely memories from us all, sure there will be more, I will dig deep in my brain to think of more too. chuckles

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Joelle on Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:15 am

I used to play throwing a ball against the wall and catching it and doing spin rounds etc before I caughte it, there would be one or two of us doing theis and the neighbour whose wall it was used to stand so much and then would come out and shoo us away. I played with whip and top, skipping, hopscotch, and when we had been to see a cowboy and Indian film would play I was riding a horse and gallop everywere. We played schools and shops in one anothers gardens when our mothers said we could. We gave concerts singing and dancing. As I was little during the WW2 we would play at being soldiers marching in a line round the streets with a piece of wood as a rifle.One things for sure, we were never bored and always happy.Hide and seek, 'tig' relievo, statues, I could go on and on, but I wont chuckles
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle

Back to top Go down

Post by skip on Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:18 am

One of my favorite outside games was ↓ Mumbly peg the other was marbles------OK---lets not leave out cowboys & Indians---Hide & seek--Also as a young lad I spent a lot of time in the woods near my house. Also our house had some lg. apple trees in the bak yard-----when bored I would climb up one--eat a apple---then climb over to where I could get on to the next tree over & climb down . I loved How did you play as a child?. 3658503889 & would push emm to thier limits

http://www.inquiry.net/outdoor/games/beard/mumbly_peg.htm ( a forgotten game I'm sure)
skip
skip
~ God Bless you our Skip ~
~ God Bless you our Skip ~

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Nemo on Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:19 pm

Ive not heard of that one Skip , we had an old steam roller in the playing field for the kids to climb on set on Concrete many a child slipped and went home bloody and crying , but I remember setting the fire box up with paper and wood and set it on fire goodness that didnt half go clouds of smoke certainly did clear the boiler out all the local kids getting anything to hold water from the ditch to throw on it , now that was how to have fun , and like skip spending vast amounts of time in the woods and my old bike you took off the mud guards it would go anywhere used to get in the mud and water chuckles
Captain Nemo
Captain Nemo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:56 pm

OOOh, we could have climbed trees together, Skip! But only if you'd promised not to tease me for being dressed funny while doing it! (My Mother majored in dressing me in pretty clothes and I majored in ignoring them - gentle grin).

I hadn't heard of Mumbly Peg either - and while I imagine most parents would be in hysterics at the very thought of letting their kids play with jackknives now, bet it was such fun! Was really fascinated reading how it was done - yup, great fun I'm sure!

But taking the mud guards off my bike would have resulted in 'strict parental ouchies' coming my way, Captain! Glad your little fire didn't cause a disaster but how lucky you and Skip and I grew up with a mass of trees in our backyards to find all sorts of magic waiting for us!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum