Your Memories of Primary/Secondary School

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Your Memories of Primary/Secondary School Empty Your Memories of Primary/Secondary School

Post by Tan on Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:59 pm

What are your Memories of Primary/Secondary School?.

When at Primary School we all went to the cloakroom to hang our coats up and filed into our class, then after registration we went to Assembly in the school hall, then we sang hymns from a huge 'Hymn pull down Scroll'..
I particularily liked to sing 'All Things Bright and Beautiful'.

We would then go into our class, each child had a single pull up desk, on the top was an inkwell and also an Italic (scratchy Your Memories of Primary/Secondary School Icon_eek ) pen and some blotting paper, my work used to get a lot of blobs.. Your Memories of Primary/Secondary School Icon_eek

Teacher would write on the blackboard with her chalk and use a large eraser to remove everything to be replaced by more work!.

In the mid morning we would have a milk monitor who would give us all our small bottle of milk, always warm, bleurgh, we were allowed to bring a small sachet of milkshake powder to add to it!.
We also had a tuck shop where we could buy Nuts, Pop and Potato Puff Crisps!.
Dinner time we all filed in and was served with a good choice of food all cooked on the premises, and we all said 'Grace' before our meal!.

Teachers were very strict, when we were not working, but listening to our teacher, we had to sit up straight with our arms folded, and if a teacher came into the room we were expected to stand!..

Punishment was to be brought out in front of the class, roll down our socks and we were hit with a ruler on our legs or at times on our hands, I got that once when my friend 2 desks across asked to lend my rubber, I knew I wasn't allowed to get up from my seat so I threw it to her, only for my teacher to turn around and see me doing that!.. Your Memories of Primary/Secondary School Icon_eek

Also we were given lines if we had done something wrong, I remember being given 50....
'I must not talk in class until asked' Your Memories of Primary/Secondary School Icon_rolleyes

At home time we all put our chairs upside down on our desks and we would then say a Prayer!.

I was in primary school from 1961 (started school at the age of 6 in Jersey) and I left in 1966, then onto Secondary School until I left at 15 in 1970.

I did like School, and in my final year at Secondary School I was made a Prefect, which I felt very proud to have been chosen!.

How was it for you?.

Your Memories of Primary/Secondary School LF6Thi1 Your Memories of Primary/Secondary School NIxv1QOYour Memories of Primary/Secondary School E2ONOPTYour Memories of Primary/Secondary School GtSfErM    Your Memories of Primary/Secondary School ORQ4u1rYour Memories of Primary/Secondary School Smilie_xmas_568  bow
Tan
Tan
TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Your Memories of Primary/Secondary School Empty Re: Your Memories of Primary/Secondary School

Post by Guest on Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:05 am

I first started school (in the Nursery) at the age of four. We had a separate section from the main infants school. Our teacher was Miss Brown. We had our own little cloakroom and our mothers took us in there to hang up our coats and maybe change our shoes before we went into the classroom. We also had our own very tiny little toilets where I could actually put my feet on the floor whilst sitting there.

Nobody stayed in the Nursery past the age of five. At five we were moved up to a normal class room. Class one for not very bright children and class two for the brighter ones.

In the mornings we would sit around the fire (with a large fire guard) in cold weather or go out into the playground on sunny days. We were taught to obey Miss Brown and to do whatever she told us to do. We didn't attend the normal morning assembly but sat and listened whilst Miss Brown read to us from a religious book I don't think it was the bible but a book designed for younger children. We were given paper and crayons and encouraged to draw. Other times we would be given plasticine which I always had a job to soften enough to make any use of it. In the middle of the morning we each had a small bottle of milk and Miss Brown fixed a straw in each bottle so we could drink it. In fact we just simply played all the morning but learnt to obey the teacher.

Most of us went home midday.

When we returned there were beds filling the classroom and each one had a small pillow and a blanket on it. After our mothers had left us in the cloakroom we had to go and find a bed, remove our shoes and lie on the bed with the blanket covering us. We were all told to go to sleep but I very seldom did. I simply wasn't tired. Miss Brown would walk around and check that all her little charges were OK. I remember we could see right up her dress and see the pink bloomers which she wore nearly down to her knees. After she thought we had been there long enough she would call all those who were awake together and we would sit on the floor around her whilst she read us a story. Some of the children were still asleep when their mothers came to collect them, but I never was as I never went to sleep.

After my fifth birthday I was moved up to class two, but that's another story.

Back to top Go down

Your Memories of Primary/Secondary School Empty Re: Your Memories of Primary/Secondary School

Post by Joelle on Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:53 am

I started Nursery School when I was just three. My mum used to take me with her when she took my sister two years older than me and I would cry as I wanted to stay. Miss Smith the Nursery teacher said to mum, let her stay and we'll see how she is. I loved it. The classroom had a fish tank in it with goldfish called Jack and Jill, there was a sandpit in the corner and a big sink where we couldl play with water if we had our plastic aprons put on. There were lots of toys like prams and a little seesaw with canvas seats, also a Wendy house, a book corner and a little shop. There were mats on the floor where we sat crossed legged when the teacher read us a story. She sat on a little chair in front of us all and showed us the pictures. My favourite story was Little Black Sambo. Miss Smith would play the piano and we would sing nursery rhymes and learn to count by singing ten green bottles. She would get ten of us in a line and as one green bottle fell, one of us had to sit down. Incey Mincey Spider was another. When it was a
lovely day we were taken into the playground, In the playground we played games like The Farmers in his Den, In and out the Shady Bluebells, Oranges and Lemons. We had milk too with straws, and also had to sleep in the afternoon on little canvas beds. 'Top and Tail 'so that we didn't talk. I don't think I ever went to sleep though. I loved every moment there. I can remember Miss Smith had a pile of muslin flour bags that she had cut up and boiled, they were lovely and soft and she gave one to any child that had forgotten their handkerchief that day. We also had easles and on speial days a large piece of paper was clipped onto each easle and we would paint. The paint was powder in tins which she mixed with water and each colour was in a jam jar. We had big brushed and would have to choose onne colour, paint with it then go and wash our brush in a big container of water before we chose another colour. We had to wear plastic pinnys for that too.
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle

http://www.pamspoetry.yolasite.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:22 am

Such lovely memories from you both and it's lovely that we can remember those days, proves that it all made an early impression in our minds!..

I remember the smell of the big thick crayons when I was colouring in!...
Also I had forgotten about the little afternoon sleeps on those little hammocky type beds, the blankets felt so warm and I know that so often I did go to sleep there!..Ours were put up in a small hall!.
I remember crying on my first day and the teacher taking me by the hand and she opened a huge cupboard from floor to ceiling, so many toys were in there and I was allowed to choose one to play with!..
Also of standing by a big sand pit on legs, inside were buckets, spades and all sorts of shapes!.
Such happy times!.. Your Memories of Primary/Secondary School Icon_biggrin

Your Memories of Primary/Secondary School LF6Thi1 Your Memories of Primary/Secondary School NIxv1QOYour Memories of Primary/Secondary School E2ONOPTYour Memories of Primary/Secondary School GtSfErM    Your Memories of Primary/Secondary School ORQ4u1rYour Memories of Primary/Secondary School Smilie_xmas_568  bow
Tan
Tan
TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Joelle on Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:22 am

Yes Tan I can honestly say that all my schooldays until I was ten were so happy. I can remember all the classes I was in, my teachers, even what they looked like. I have so many lovely memories. It changed when I passed my scholarship and went to a grammar school.
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:30 am

I feel that if we have a good start in our early life at school it puts us in good stead for the rest of our schooling!.
Sadly though sometimes many can be taunted for numerous reasons when they move up to secondary school and that for many can stay with them for a long time, well into their adulthood!..
I went to many schools due to mum being unwell, and it was hard to get used to the changes from school to school, but on the whole I had a good schooling and lots of lovely memories to this day!.

Tan
Tan
TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Joelle on Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:32 am

I'll post about my experiences when this thread has finished Tan.
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:34 am

Anytime you are ready Joelle!..Just I hope that many memories from there were not too painful for you!..xx

Tan
Tan
TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:57 am

I started in the Infants School when I was just five years old.
There were six classes in the Infants school and about a hundred children in each year. The odd number classes were for slower children and the even numbers for brighter ones. There must have been about 50 children in each class I went through classes 2, 4 and 6.

We learnt to read and write and do simple sums. Also did dancing, games and nature study. We did a lot of drawing, colouring and playing with plasticine. I remember we had a Maypole which used to fix into a hole in the middle of the hall floor. I loved dancing round the Maypole. Once we all went to the Town Hall and danced around the Maypole there. On looking back I think it must have been for an older persons party. After the dancing we all mixed with the older men and women to eat at long tables. Then we all did things like "Hands, Knees and Boompsadaisy" with the older folk joining in with us.
We moved up to a higher class when the teacher thought we were ready for it but the main moving up was in September when everyone would move to another class. I should really have been in the infants for three years but passed through there in just two years.

I remember I was away from school a lot with mumps, measles, whooping cough etc and also I was in hospital for six weeks when I had scarlet fever. That was when I was getting on for seven.

Once we were in the Infants, our parents had to leave us at the gate and we were expected to be able to manage our own clothes and shoes. We started each day with assembly in the hall. We used to have spots all over the floor and assembly began with the words:
"Good morning children, look down at your spot and make sure you are standing on one" It was all very orderly. We sang hymns and were taught to say The Lord's Prayer.
I used to love going to school

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Nemo on Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:39 am

I didnt live very far from the village School , and can clearly remember running like fury out the front door to get back to Mum at Home , but always being taken back this was only for a few weeks though ,
We also had the Third pint bottles of milk with one Girl as Straw Monitor and another two dishing out the Bottles,

When in the Primary section i had a favourite teacher a Mrs Morris she would talk to us about the Romans and Egypt and i loved it but didnt like Maths or English a lot ,
We had assembly every morning and would sing a hymn and say the Lords Prayer and have some lesson read and explained and then at the end the Head master would read out anyone who had to stay behind i had that several times usually something i thought i had got away with in the Village the day before you know pinching apples and the owner just phoned the school , this was usually punished by Lines or spending Play times standing with my Hands on my Head, i can still remember the aching but also the way things sound so different in a empty classroom with a teacher and all the Children shouting outside,
In my last two years i was the Pool monitor every day i had to go with another Boy and take a water sample from the School swimming pool and mix it with a tablet and according to the colour had to add so much Chlorine from a big tub, then clean the filter then go to lessons , could you imagine today letting a 10 year old have a bucket of Chlorine and a scoop no gloves or mask or supervision ,
My days in the Village Primary School were lovely and a lot of fun ,
The real problems for me started the day i went to Chippenham Boys High School , one of the New secondary Moderns ,
Captain Nemo
Captain Nemo
~ God Bless you our Captain Nemo ~

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Nemo on Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:52 am

This is my Primary School well one side of it , the steam engine is the school Symbol it was a real steam engine given to the Children as a climbing frame in the playing field it was painted all colours and was about 10 years ago sold to be renovated to a running Engine, it was deemed to dangerous for todays Children , but a unique village landmark
Your Memories of Primary/Secondary School SEAGRY2005063-Copy
Captain Nemo
Captain Nemo

Back to top Go down

Post by Joelle on Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:00 am

Really interesting all these memories, and the photograph too Capt.
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle
Joelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:03 pm

Really interesting to read of Joelle's and Nemo's younger schooldays.

I get the impression that we all enjoyed school when we were little

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:23 pm

I moved into the Junior School when I was seven and spent three years there.

The classes were stricter and we did more subjects. I can remember Reading, Spelling, Writing, Recitation, Drawing, Painting, Knitting, Needlework, Nature Study, History, Geography, Arithmetic, Games, Country Dancing, Scripture, we even started on Geometry and Algebra in the top class.

The war started in the September as I moved into the Juniors. I big shelter was dug for the entire school and we used to practice going into it. At that time it was just like one huge underground room without even any seats in it. Seats were added at a later date, but the most important thing was to get us all below the ground. Most of us were scared to go in there as it was so big and so dark. Each teacher was in charge of a class and we stood in the shelter in little groups around each teacher. The teacher called out all the names to check we were all there.

I went through classes 2, 4 and 6 again in the juniors. It was whilst I was in the junior school that I caught diphtheria and was away from school from early January until about Whitsun. Even after I left hospital I wasn't allowed to return to school until I could walk reasonably well. I wasn't allowed to take part in any games lesson for the rest of my time there.
My class teacher (Mr. Jefferies) was very keen on spelling and gave us a lot of words to learn every week, but we never had any homework at that school. I remember he asked us all to spell the names of different illnesses and picked on individual children to spell them This would have been when I was nine years old. He chose me to spell diphtheria (he said I should be able to spell it because I had had it.) I missed out the first 'H' because I thought it was DIP-THERIA and didn't realise it was DIPH-THERIA. I have never spelt it wrongly since that day.

We all had to sit for the Grammar School exam in the main hall and our desks were put well apart so no-one could cheat. I was told that I had passed and Mr. Jefferies was very pleased with me. The average age of my class was eleven and a half but I was only ten and a bit when I took the exam. I was very sad to leave my school and move up to the Grammar School.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:49 pm

Such lovely interesting memories from your school days everyone and so well remembered too!.
I went to several schools due to mum being unwell, each and everyone of them gave me something different, but I will say that when I settled in for the spell I was there I did enjoy school!..

Tan
Tan
TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:45 am

Tanooma wrote:Such lovely interesting memories from your school days everyone and so well remembered too!.
I went to several schools due to mum being unwell, each and everyone of them gave me something different, but I will say that when I settled in for the spell I was there I did enjoy school!..

It is very unsettling to have to change schools. As I child we miss our friends and have to get used to a whole lot of different rules and regulations.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:49 am

Yes that was how it was for me Poppy, and I was so shy too, so to be the newby so many times and all eyes on me and many saying I talked differently really knocked what bit of confidence I had gripped on to keep!..

Tan
Tan
TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:20 pm

I know what you mean. When I started school in London the girls in my class called me "Lanky" because they thought I came from Lancashire. There was another new girl and she came from Birmingham. The teacher was North Country and there was just one double desk in the class. She sat the two of us in it. It was Marian and me against the rest of the class.We were about the smallest two as well. We stuck to each other like glue.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:37 pm

Yes it is heartbreaking when this happens, and like me Poppy I got to know a girl called Elizabeth she was lovely and we stayed together too, although she knew all the class, but she helped me a lot!..

Tan
Tan
TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:34 pm

janet webb in the netball team wearing navy blue knickers-the good old days

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:16 pm

And I wonder what she remembers you for Muttly?. Your Memories of Primary/Secondary School Icon_rolleyes Your Memories of Primary/Secondary School Icon_scratch

Tan
Tan
TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Nemo on Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:35 am

School is traumatic or can be for the Children that arnt completely uniform and Children can be very observant and incredibly Vicious and spiteful , i dont mean that as an Adult how i see children just how Children can Bully and persecute other Children,
In My Secondary school we also had a lot of Teachers that were extremely bullying i have seen Lads set on by a Teacher verbally for not doing some ridiculous thing
i recall one lad had no pen so was writing in Pencil and the Teacher went Mad at him and another beating a Lad so hard with a Blackboard T square he snapped yet nothing was done or ever said and to be honest My Parents would only have thought i had been particularly bad and we didnt say much about school anyway,

I had a Scottish Maths Teacher Mcphee he was of dubious Parentage i have had my Head hit against another lads so hard we saw stars he would also throw text books from the front and they hurt and he liked to throw the Blackboard Rubber that was a block of wood with felt on one side , but saying all that there were some truly brilliant Teachers there that i did respect one a Mr Moggridge he was a Hard Man and once gave me a thrashing i have never forgot but i did deserve it just the other lad involved got away with it and after he said to me he did it to straighten me, as i could be something yet the other Boy wouldnt that is why he didnt beat him ,

i think he was exhausted after beating me but after that we got on brilliant he was one of the best and he taught history my Favourite subject,
Captain Nemo
Captain Nemo

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:28 am

Cruelty in many classrooms was rife and no holes barred, it was the 'norm' to punish children and many will say what you have said Captain 'I deserved it?'...But you felt that you deserved what was given as the norm!..We knew we would be punished if we misbehaved, we knew we would be punished if we were even late, we knew no different and took everything as it came as that was how our little world as children was!.
But think back to one time when you were punished, think of the reason and then think of the punishment, then put that to say a child that is in your family now, would you feel it was justified to be punished for the same thing now?..

I expect that more than likely you will say it is not an acceptable way to treat that child, by hitting them black and blue, to bang their heads together, to be thrashed with a cane, or even to stand them out in front of the class to be ridiculed!..
The thought of that on our children would make us physically sick!.
But this is what happened to so many in our generation and time before that, it was accepted and to such an extent that if we dared go home to hint we had been hit then more than likely we would have been hit again for doing wrong at school!.

Goes to prove that the majority of parents then sided with forms of punishment if their child did wrong there!.Bacause they knew no different and it more than likely had been dished out to them when they were at school!.

I feel that over the years, and I have heard several tales of punishment by teachers, and pupils to each other, that it does actually do more harm than good, it can stay with many all their life, and it can hinder their development and confidence too!..

But then we come down to what should we do, do we hit?, do we talk?, or, do we do nothing?..
Something has to be done, and it needs to be jointly decided between the school and the parents, but that to me will never happen, there will always be some parents wanting revenge if their child had been smacked at school or even given detention!..

So in one way, what many have said about the beating that many got in our generation, can't be true for many when they say that it did them no harm, because if that was the case then they would have wanted to have a form of punishment in the schools still active to this day!..

What would anyone feel is the best form of punishment, is it physical?. Mental?, or do we just ignore it so that those very children that are causing so much trouble in school literally learn that they can do just what the heck they want!..

I don't know the answer, does anyone here?..

Tan
Tan
TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Nemo on Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:56 am

Tanooma its clear you know what you are talking about , i hadnt thought about the hours standing with hands on Heads , there was one thing though most of use grew up knowing there were boundries now a little child has immunity and knows even if they commit a terrible crime it will all be wiped away when they are 16 it was definitly tougher back then but now the lower standard Children will just get lower and produce even more Children into a poor standard od education and disipline but its the ones who want to get on they need to be helped and encouraged to do well but now the troubled elements have to be mixed so they dont feel segregated so our brighter Children then suffer ,
I dont know what the balance is and there are loads of great Kids out there but the others have no purpose or direction or decency ,
Captain Nemo
Captain Nemo

Back to top Go down

Post by honeybee on Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:16 am

Lovely reading all your memories. I can honestly say. I do not recall ever- from day one sitting at a desk of my schooling. The teachers, I know my moms best friend taught me in grade 1- that is my sum total of my memories of my schooling. Maybe I have blocked my mind and dont want to remember. I do know I was so happy when I threw my case in the passage ready for my mom to put my lunch in for the next morning and I was home. Highschool I recall abit, nothing that is news worthy to me.
Just the jam and bread for lunch that sticks in my head like a sticky apricot

Last edited by honeybee on Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:24 am; edited 2 times in total
honeybee
honeybee
Our Smilie Queen
Our Smilie Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum