Your First Job

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Your First Job Empty Your First Job

Post by Tan on Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:10 pm

What was your first Job?.

I went to work in a Bakery at 15!..
I left School on a Friday and started work on the Monday at 6am!.
I had already asked in the bakery prior to leaving school if they needed anyone and I was welcomed with open arms!.It was a lovely family affair bakery and I was taught so very much!.
My wage was £5 for the week, but if I stayed on after the cake shop closed at 3pm on Saturdays to help to clean everywhere until it shone I was paid another £1 and was able to take home several choices of cakes etc that was left over after they closed!..
Much to my Mums delight Your First Job Smilie16 and mine too of course!. Your First Job Smilie16

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Your First Job Empty Re: Your First Job

Post by June on Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:06 am

Ah Tan...now I know where you got your sweet tooth from Your First Job Icon_biggrin

I left school at 15 and my first job was as a bookkeeper in a coal merchant's office on The Rock, Bury. Where did all the coal merchants get too ?

I worked only with three men. Very nice they were. One was almost 70, called Frank, and his wife used to give him bacon sarnies every day for his lunch (he travelled all the way from Rochdale every day by bus) but he had a very small appetite and always shared them with me. He smoked a pipe and stood at the back room open window blowing the smoke out. I loved the smell. We were on the first floor over Burton's Tailors.

They were happy days and each week I had to walk up to Fernhill on the railway sidings to take dockets up to the foreman. There I came into contact with the coal-men and one took my fancy. He was the first boy that I was infatuated with. He looked like Elvis Your First Job Herz

I left that job after about two years as I had attended evening classes for shorthand, typing and English in order to get a better paid one. My first wage was £3.50 pence per week. Your First Job Icon_eek
June
June
June
June

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:10 am

Yes I knew my cake fancying started from somewhere!.

Well done June on your choice of first job, and I expect like me you felt very grown up to be actually now working and earning money!.
My first wage I was allowed to keep, then after that half went to my parents!.

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by June on Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:13 am

Tanooma wrote:Yes I knew my cake fancying started from somewhere!.

Well done June on your choice of first job, and I expect like me you felt very grown up to be actually now working and earning money!.
My first wage I was allowed to keep, then after that half went to my parents!.

I was the same. Half, and then later a third, always went to my parents. It doesn't sound much but our first home only cost £1,350 and money seemd to go much further then.
June
June
June
June

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:15 am

Yes so true!..

With part of my first weeks wage I rushed to the shop to buy my mum some dinner, took it home to her and said 'This is the dinner that you missed when I was born!.
I came at dinner time on New Years Day!..
Mum cried when I gave it to her!..Bless her!..

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Nemo on Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:04 am

My word a 15 year old Tanooma in a cake shop , did that family Business know just what they had done and did you ever sneak one away Your First Job 723149 for 6ft 2 Tanooma, and the saturday afternoon when the left cakes were sorted im sure Mum was very pleased all those treats, but there does seem to be the start of a cake and cookie Munchers habit Your First Job Icon_biggrin
But seriously was it there that you started to learn to decorate cakes and get more interested in baking them,

June we used to have coal delivered on a big lorry and i recall this friendly but frightening looking man with a sort of leather hood and back apron and naturally as Black as the ace of Spades and he had these huge sacks of coal and would carry them to the Bunker , then the big lorry became a smaller one and only on Friday i saw a Coalman delivering in a Pick up , Your First Job Icon_biggrin
Captain Nemo
Captain Nemo
~ God Bless you our Captain Nemo ~

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Nemo on Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:38 am

My first job was straight from School a small company in the local town of Chippenham , they wanted a Hydraulic Press operator so away i went for the interview and got it and started a few days later it was using a 200 ton press making Melamine mouldings , the press is very hot and you placed these pellets in a mould and brought the press down and the pressure and the heat moulded the item say a dinner tray then it would open and the transfer was put on then finally the glaze , very hard as it was so hot and the plastic used to send off juts of Formaldehyde it used to burn your lungs and Eyes and no safety Guards then and as it was Peace work them presses and operators used to go full speed and to watch the silly risks taken like pressing the close for the press while your arms were still in the mould i couldnt do that so never made a lot of bonus there , so after a few years i quite and did some Window cleaning for a while, then went to High Wycombe and took training as a Printer and loved it eventually running the Print shop it was a great place to work ,until my Health went Your First Job Icon_biggrin
Captain Nemo
Captain Nemo

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:18 am

Captain Nemo wrote:My word a 15 year old Tanooma in a cake shop , did that family Business know just what they had done and did you ever sneak one away Your First Job 723149 for 6ft 2 Tanooma, and the saturday afternoon when the left cakes were sorted im sure Mum was very pleased all those treats, but there does seem to be the start of a cake and cookie Munchers habit Your First Job Icon_biggrin
But seriously was it there that you started to learn to decorate cakes and get more interested in baking them?.

I remember going home many times and my Mum saying to me 'Come here and let me eat you!'..I smelled of cakes!..I never sneaked any as we were allowed to have a cake and a pie or sandwich for dinner and then a cake of our choice for the afternoon break!..But when I learned to make the cream and add it to the forcing bag I would squirt a bit on my opposite finger, yum!.
I did learn so very much there and how to make choux pastry too!..One time the choux mixing machine stopped working and we so needed to have this mix in the morning, so the owner knowing I always had cold hands asked me to mix it, as it was needed to be kept cold and the mixer was a cold mixer, so I got that job for 2 days until it was fixed!.
They made a lovely stock for their pies too by boiling up beef bones, it was lovely!.
I went on eventually to work for a larger firm and there I learned so very much about icing cakes etc!.
But then I started to think more of not having this as a career, so then I went in a different direction!.
But I did for many years make family birthday cakes etc and sold quite a few too, so I had that as a sideline for many years!.

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Nemo on Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:31 am

Thats really interesting and generous of the family to feed you as well but i can imagine Mum wanting to eat you as the Vanilla and other scents are very strong , it could have been worse say you worked in a fish shop cutting up fish , she would have said get away from me go and have a smelly bath and leave your clothes outside Your First Job Icon_biggrin
But you must have learnt a lot and making the Soux Pastry i have heard of it but dont know what its for but they do say cold hands make the best pastry , my Mum used to have a rolling pin that was Pyrex and you could fill with ice , but they say Cold hands Warm Heart Your First Job Icon_biggrin
Captain Nemo
Captain Nemo

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:46 am

Yes, cold hands warm heart for sure!... Your First Job Bom

Choux Pastry is used to make Eclairs!.. Your First Job Icon_razz

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:50 am

Captain so pleased to hear that your last Job was one that you really enjoyed, and sad that it had to end, but many memories I am sure from there!.

Have you ever had chest problems, maybe caused by the formaldehyde?..

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:29 am

My first job was in a wholesale warehouse

if you imagine a big department store,where almost everything except food was sold, but only to shop keepers.

The customers had to have a bone fide retail business, and this was in the days when shops generally sold one thing, say ironmongers, or carpets, or furniture,or womens clothes.

I was in the carpet department, and the first task I was gien was stacking underfelts on shelves. These were the old brown felt undelays, and since the war had only just finished there was no paper for wrapping,and on that first day I got lots of fibres in my eyes, my ears and in my mouth. It was dreadful,and the carpet industry nearly lost me on that day.

However I got iver it,and worked in the carpets and then the furniture department for nearly three years, but the wages were solow I decided tolookforsomething better

I had started at 19/6d a week (Five and a half days) and after nearly thre years was on about £2.00 a week

I went to a high class furniture retailer in the town and started at £3.00 a week, a great rise, but the floor of the shop had an effect on my feet, which were swelling and sweating a lot.

So I found another job with a more down market retailer who paid £3.00 PLUS COMMISSION. Suddenly I was getting £7 to £10 a week. Heaven

Then came the army at 18 I was called up and spent 2 years as a soldier.

Eventually when I was 45 I started my own Furniture and carpet business which I ran for 14 years until I sold out at 59 and retired.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:02 am

So it goes to prove that what interested you in the early days was really the Job for you, just you needed to sift through!..
I expect it was a really proud time in your life when you were able to open and start your very own business and a successful one at that due to the length of time that you ran it!..
Did you employ many staff?..

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:15 am

Tanooma wrote:So it goes to prove that what interested you in the early days was really the Job for you, just you needed to sift through!..
I expect it was a really proud time in your life when you were able to open and start your very own business and a successful one at that due to the length of time that you ran it!..
Did you employ many staff?..

Yes it was a very happy time, and fulfilled my early ambitions

When I sold out I had two stores and employed 18 staff plus some freelance carpet fitters

I sold out in 1991 and at that time we had a turnover of £1.6m, probably equal to about £4m today

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:22 am

Fantastic for you and you would have been able to hand down your expertise to many of your employees!..

It is as you know so lovely to be able to work in the field that we feel is right for us, so many have to take work that is not really fulfilling for them, but the need to work and earn for their families will take them to various Jobs!.

So for you, in your working life, is what you can look back on with pride, and your hard work and comittment paid off!.

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by honeybee on Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:44 am

lovely careers Tanbubs, Cappy June Cheshire cat...
Wow we were all so young.

I left school in standard 8(16 years old) ,1965- went to pursue a nursing career. I did not last 2 years. I was always crying if someone was too sick. If a patient died. Nurses have long hours and it was nothing for me to stay after a long shift and do special favours for patients. I did not want to let my mom down, myself as well by giving up. I then took the bait when my mom asked if I would like to resign from nursing . I said I did
I moved back home found a job as a wage clerk. Then worked my way up to being in the accounts department. Doing the accounts on the old IBM/ Olivetti accounting machine
I met bwana in 1970 . We were married in 1972. I had my first child (another start of a new career being a mom) in 1973, second 11 months later 1974... 4 years later another child. Must remeber here we did not have tv on those days ... sjoe.. I then joined a large steel company in the accounts department when all three were in school. Working Mornings only. That is how and when I learnt how to use a computer ... I will never regret going back to work. I am not sure being at home, if I would ever have learnt the computer
honeybee
honeybee
Our Smilie Queen
Our Smilie Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:51 am

I am sure you have given your all Honeybee in everything that you have ever done, be it in your working life or at home bringing up your 3 children!..
You did really well in climbing up the ladder from wages clerk into accountancy, and now you are doing the work that you are doing now!.
I bet the most rewarding of all was bringing your children up and seeing them grow in confidence and progressing in their life!..

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:11 pm

You've all had such interesting first jobs and I'm afraid mine is rather
boring in comparison - unless you consider picking berries an
adventure Your First Job Icon_biggrin .

I was raised in the Fraser Valley area of British Columbia - a lush,
fertile area with scads of berry and vegetable farms ... and my Mother
(I'm laughing here at the memory and the indignation of a child who
swore she was used as a 'child slave' - hoot!)...

My Mother would volunteer my services to assist our neighbours in
picking their berry crops (I was about 9 when I started). Strawberries
started May/June and working after school and on weekends meant sunburn
was a daily thing.

Raspberries started right after (arms got scratched and ripped from the
canes) - but aah, the joy of a child who discovered picking beans (which
came next) caused huge allergies - ergo, didn't have to pick them!

Granted, sometimes the neighbours would hand me a bit of cash on the
last day of harvest - but I literally never ate another strawberry or
raspberry until I was in my 40s!

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:42 am

Mmm, I wish I could have been the one to pick fruit Mara, although I am sure that I would too have got fedup of eating lots!..
When I was a child I use to go tomato picking with my Mum and Auntie in Jersey, and believe me I have never touched a tomato to eat in my life as the smell that a huge collection of tomatoes gives off is awful!.
So I can understand why you were knocked off having strawberries and raspberries for many years!.

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:27 am

Aaah, I can see why you 'run screaming into the night' when someone brings out the tomatoes, Tanooma! Your First Job Icon_biggrin

Back to top Go down

Post by June on Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:33 am

I would love to have been a fruit-picker....even now...but I guess it's hard on the back Your First Job 360901
June
June
June
June

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:41 am

Yes Mara Your First Job Icon_biggrin I can't even normally write the correct word, I tend to write 'matoes, hehe...I spelt it properly there for you, but it gave me a memory of that smell!..Bleurgh!..

June, how about you and I working on that together, you do the picking and I will eat them all!....Erm, I mean I will box them all!.. Your First Job Bom

Okay!...I am going!, hehe >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Your First Job Icon_biggrin

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:50 am

At least with raspberries, one mostly stand upright except for bending over for the bottom branches, June - but strawberries - ouch!

You're on your knees the entire time and hunched over the entire day and even as a child, it was 'back breaking'. To add to it, perhaps because I'm so 'fair', I'd burn right through a blouse and literally would get huge blisters on my shoulders and back. Yup, I'll be standing beside Tanooma while you pick and even hand you a very cold drink, June - grin!

My best job as a teenager (weekends and sometimes weekday evenings) was working in a Funeral Home. It taught me lessons that have lasted me well through my life and long before the term 'death with dignity' became popular, I honestly learned what it meant.

Back to top Go down

Post by June on Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:59 am

Yes Mara, strawberries are the only ones I've picked at a farm near here where you can pick your own....trouble is I kept eating them on the way Your First Job Icon_biggrin

No Tan, you can do the packing and I'll do the eating....Mmmmm, my favourite fruit Your First Job 76219
June
June
June
June

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:53 pm

Okay June, we can all take it in turns!.. Your First Job Icon_biggrin

Mara had other members of your family ever worked in a funeral parlour?, just I wonder what made you choose working there!.
I imagine that to help many families to be cared for when they are so very sad would be the ultimate to do for them there!.

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum