Your First Job

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Your First Job - Page 2 Empty Re: Your First Job

Post by Condor on Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:32 am

"...No Tan, you can do the packing and I'll do the eating....Mmmmm, my favourite fruit Your First Job - Page 2 76219..."

Yup! Your First Job - Page 2 Icon_twisted Your First Job - Page 2 Icon_twisted

My first job was toolmaking apprentice in an engineering works. I got £2 " 10s " 0d per week. After six months I had to do a stint in Drawing Offices so I got 10s more per week because I had to wear suits and ties etc.
Your First Job - Page 2 Icon_biggrin
Condor
Condor
Condor
Condor

http://www.condorosa.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:40 am

Ooooo, have you got a photo of our posh Condor?... Your First Job - Page 2 Icon_biggrin

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Nemo on Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:31 am

Mara i have heard of some strange Jobs for a youngster but in a Funeral home , interesting and Humbling and as you say you learnt a lot of lessons,
Strawberry picking would be crippling as was so many harvesting tasks but why did Mum volunteer you ,
I got a job from about 10 on a Beef farm and loved it kept me out of most mischief and an evening paper round ,
I love strawberries some are lovely others not so different strain but to watch Tanooma and June stuffing the fruit would be fun , give them a few hours to let that go through and tell them the Toilets broken Your First Job - Page 2 Affraid
Captain Nemo
Captain Nemo
~ God Bless you our Captain Nemo ~

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:55 am

Oooo!...Mara I need your assistance to help me to bash up our Captain!..Are you ready?..I am!.. Your First Job - Page 2 Bom

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:54 pm

Laughing but if eating all the berries gave you and June the 'dash', you couldn't leave the broken toilet long enough to bash our Captain, Tanooma! Your First Job - Page 2 Icon_biggrin

Yes, I too would love to see a photo of you in your suit and tie during those days, Condor ... how proud you must of been for getting that promotion after only 6 months - good for you!

Re why my Mother always volunteered my 'services' ... hmmm, honestly not too sure ... but do remember silently resenting it something fierce. That said, I'm sure having a child at my parent's age wasn't much fun for them - and in fact, very confusing as which world does one raise a child in then ...the one where Finishing School was vital or the one where 'hard labour' will do you good or the one where acing school was essential. (They 'compromised and did all three - huge laugh!!).

Nope, no one in my family ever worked in a Funeral Home - in fact, to be perfectly honest, I took the job simply because I knew my poor parents were be absolutely horrified at the very thought of my working there! (Can you tell I wasn't an easy child to raise? - gentle smile).

But once there, while the jobs I did would surely be considered 'ick' by most teenagers (I did the 'scut work only for the first several months) - whether true or not, even then I had this 'feeling' that the bodies were still 'people' who deserved to be treated gently and with great kindness.

I do hope my sharing this hasn't made everything cringe, especially when I say that if I'd had my way I'd have become a Funeral Director.

May I ask that, if each had a chance, what would you have chosen to do as one's life's work?

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Nemo on Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:04 pm

Mara i certainly dont cringe at the thought of you in a funeral home infact im sure you settled and grew up very fast with that sense of decency and respect, i do understand you wanting to horrify your folks thats funny im sure had they said Mara we want you to go into the Funeral Home you would have resisted , now theres a case for some reverse Psychology,
Had i had the chance i think i would have been in the Royal Navy as a Career and seen the World and come out at retirement with something useful Your First Job - Page 2 Icon_biggrin
Captain Nemo
Captain Nemo

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:14 pm

I wouldn't cringe Mara, but I don't think I could work in a funeral parlour!...
..I was so pleased to be able to work where I did when I changed direction, but at one time I always thought about owing my own shop!..A cake shop preferrably but then I got to thinking about the profits, hehe!..

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:12 pm

Yup, my parents surely missed so many chances for 'reverse Psychology'
- huge laugh!

The Royal Navy as a career - it sounds so wonderful, truly it does, Captain Nemo - but I doubt very,very much if you 'came out at retirement' without something useful! Perhaps it easy to forget just how many lives each of us touch in our lifetime - and I can't help but believe this world is simply better because you are in it!

Oh Tanooma - a cake shop - you're so young you could still do it! Just imagine, the heavenly smell of fresh baking and thrilling people with your creations for their special occasions. (Mind you, the getting up each morning before the crack of dawn and worrying about overhead and profits - hmmm. But what other job could you have where if your product doesn't sell, you get to eat it! Your First Job - Page 2 Icon_biggrin

Back to top Go down

Post by honeybee on Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:07 am

Mara I worked with a lady who had worked in a funeral parlour. She said she knew that it was just a body and the soul was now in a higher place. She had to dress the bodies just before the funeral.
She joined the office where I work as she was offered higher pay.
So no ,I dont cringe and I can imagine you were kind and loving when working with the person who had departed.
I wanted to be a teacher. I had to have matric. The thought of another 2 years at school was not on my agenda.
I dont regret though the path I took
honeybee
honeybee
Our Smilie Queen
Our Smilie Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:39 am

Mmm, now then!...You have me thinking there Mara!. Your First Job - Page 2 Icon_biggrin

I could open a 'Tanooma's Tasty Treats' cake shop!..
Would anyone like to come and make the pies and the pasties, the bread and the rolls and I will be able to concentrate on eating all, erm, making all the cakes?....I can see myself in treacle, hehe, oops, there I go again..I can see myself in lights!..hehe..

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:43 pm

Good for your friend, Honeybee - so many people wouldn't work in a Funeral Home for any amount of money - and I'm glad you don't regret your own career choice, especially since I suspect teaching kids could be either a delight or a massive challenge. (My sister was a teacher and loved it but I suspect many find it a bit less rewarding in this day and age perhaps).

I vote we cheer Tanooma on in opening that Cake Shop - she can bake and we can sample - huge smile! Your First Job - Page 2 Icon_biggrin But what on earth is treacle, please?

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:23 am

Treacle is this Your First Job - Page 2 Thumbnail.aspx?q=1592465950954&id=909d9a2131736f07b11023bca6e21f0d&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.gourmetsleuth.com%2fimages%2ftreacle it is a syrup and can be used to make treacle sponge pudding Your First Job - Page 2 Thumbnail.aspx?q=1635785311887&id=6a977fbb3b48d4556fef75fb0dd9e694&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.cambio.uk.com%2ffood-photography%2fpudd and also treacle toffee Your First Job - Page 2 Thumbnail.aspx?q=1512342818239&id=ec5df7ca86576854500155d04fb72143&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.glasgowguide.co.uk%2frecipes%2520images%2fTreacle%2520Toffee

I prefer though to use Golden Syrup, it is sweeter and not as thick.
Your First Job - Page 2 Thumbnail.aspx?q=1483592180582&id=5c19500a1e3b471335c337400947e57f&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.hulettssugar.co.za%2fimages%2fGolden_Syrup_Pic2 This can also be used for making sponge pudding and it's lovely added to say Pancakes!.

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:04 am

I can just think of it as a form a 'liquid sugar' then - thanks so much for finding the great pictures plus explaining, Tanooma! Your First Job - Page 2 Icon_biggrin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:48 am

Yes similar, just got an added extra taste to it!..

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Condor on Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:58 am

...talking of cakes....

I can't really find a pic of 'Posh Condor' ( Your First Job - Page 2 Icon_bounce Your First Job - Page 2 Lol ) but I did find this...sort of semi-posh Your First Job - Page 2 Icon_biggrin

This was taken - by Polaroid (yes we had those then folks - garbage eh?) at my 21st 'do'. The lady is me mum and she had ....

...made that cake! Good eh?
Your First Job - Page 2 Poshco10

'posh condor'........... Your First Job - Page 2 202794
Condor
Condor
Condor
Condor

Back to top Go down

Post by Condor on Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:00 am

Your First Job - Page 2 Poshco10_800x600
Condor
Condor
Condor
Condor

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:10 am

Aw!..How lovely and your Mum made it really well!..
Much better than any shop bought cakes, as you will remember your 21st for ever and of your mum baking your cake!..

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Condor on Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:17 am

Your First Job - Page 2 Icon_biggrin Erm, ...any pics of Mara & Tanooma when younger?

Condor
Condor
Condor
Condor

Back to top Go down

Post by Tan on Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:19 am

Yes I have several but I don't know how to put them on here, as I can only photograph the photo, and I tried it but it came out all blurred, as did the 2 of me as a baby on Jersey beach!..
I will need to learn what to do!...

TTR Administrator
TTR Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Nemo on Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:24 am

Just reading about that golden Syrup and its very sweet isnt it Mum used to make a sort of treacle tart and the steamed Pudding , i think now there is to much sweet in it for a Diabetic, but the Black treacle has a very different taste i dont know what its even used for apart from some sweets,
Condor you were a very Handsome Lad and smart im sure your Mum was very proud of you and baked you a lovely cake as well,
Tanooma if you have a scanner on the printer that is the easiest way trying to photograph a Photograph is a bit tricky
Captain Nemo
Captain Nemo

Back to top Go down

Post by June on Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:58 am

condor wrote:Your First Job - Page 2 Icon_biggrin Erm, ...any pics of Mara & Tanooma when younger?

I have a better idea....how about a pic of Condor as he is now ? Your First Job - Page 2 Icon_cool
June
June
June
June

Back to top Go down

Post by Condor on Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:30 am

Your First Job - Page 2 Icon_biggrin Yikes June, it would frightem 'em all orf! Your First Job - Page 2 Icon_biggrin

...and yes, that old photo was scanned.
Condor
Condor
Condor
Condor

Back to top Go down

Post by June on Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:33 am

Go on! we like to be scared occasionally Your First Job - Page 2 Icon_lol
June
June
June
June

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:59 am

Wow, as the kids would say ... "gorgeous hunk", Condor - terrific photo!! (Did your Mom love to bake or was this a 'one time only' to celebrate her son's 21st Birthday?)

We have Karo Corn Syrup here - and I suspect it may be the same as the 'golden syrup' (yes, cloyingly sweet)... but am sitting here wondering if treacle could possibly be what we call molasses?

Will rummage for some photos of when I was younger, I promise ... and in the meantime, I must scram (shoveling a couple cubic yards of sand right now).

Back to top Go down

Post by Condor on Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:05 pm

Your First Job - Page 2 Cnow10

Just took. Tanooma will put pic of 'Ugly Mug' now, you wotch June.

Mara wrote, " ...wot on earth is treacle?..." Your First Job - Page 2 202794

Condor
Condor
Condor
Condor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down